Home Precious Metals
Options

Another "B&M" Rant!!!!!

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
A fellow dealer on our wholesale net reported that a lady called him this morning and asked if he bought 100 ounce silver bars.

He said yes, and quoted a price for same.

She asked if she could bring in four of them, and he said yes.

She came in, and had four KILO silver bars.

He quoted the buy price for them, and she accused him of trying to cheat her!!!!!

Stormed out of the store.
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    reminds me of my retail dayze at a drug store chain....

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    1 kilogram = 32.1507466 troy ounces

---

let her storm. obviously cannot read what a bar says.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I could see where that could happen. I can also see a dealer whipping out a book or website that give the correct conversion. It's all about customer service esp. in the coin bussiness since many don't deal with this material everyday IMO. You show me a dealer that puts the customer first (or future customer) and I'll show you a great bussiness model but they are few and far between. It seems many of these shops are to buy coins cheap from the public and sell them to other dealers. Americans understand ounces and pounds most don't do metric.
  • Options
    Tom, those are the type of rants you should rightfully laugh off. Its just a case of pure ignorance on the customer's part. My rants, however, are the type where you should lightly scratch your chin and go "hmmmmm". image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously it was ignorance on her part. Whether or not she could have been educated as to the reality of what a kilo is we will never know.

However, I have had customers who were flat-out wrong about a factual matter leave unconvinced no matter how hard we tried to convince them otherwise. One of the reasons that I left Coin World was that the editor (at that long-ago time) insisted in an argument over the sizing of a picture that she was right and that the line gauge (a steel ruler measured in picas) was wrong. That's just human nature in some people.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.