Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealing with Forum Members on the BST

Just a note to advise caution on dealing with Forum Members on the BST, especially where high-valued raw coins are for sale.

(Rest of post deleted for now, but I will bring up the issue once again should the need arise).

Mike

Comments

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know where the popcorn emoticon is?
  • Options
    I definitely see similarities between the photobucket pictures and the ones posted on e-bay. Part of me hopes you are right therefore none of the PCGS members get burnt but I also hope that coinsareneat has a little more integrity then that... But in this industry.....

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    You make a good arguement, but unfortunately I feel that eBay is fair game for all types of problem coins (some sellers disclose problems, but usually not)

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you're demonstrating the flaws of the BST, rather the coincidences and similarities of 1 coin transaction.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy is somebody going to be POed that coin is up to $2000.00 and there are no returns on the auction. Hope they pay with PatPal and credit card for the protection.
    That is if it is the same coin?
    That if the graders were correct?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Did not see any photo's in Link 2.

The photo in link 3 looks fishy and hence a coin I would stay away from. Possibly the same thing that PCGS saw when it was returned as altered surfaces.
  • Options
    <<<<<Sorry for the little pics, they are little to hide anything from the buyer because this coin is superb...if you need larger pics please email me and I will be very happy to get them for you. >>>>

Freudian slip of the tongue on 1921S Buff listing?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    It seems kind of ludicrous to buy an _expensive_ non-returnable item based on tiny little postage stamp pictures like that. Who knows what lurks on the surface of that coin?

I think that all you really demonstrated is that eBay is a dumping ground. It is a minefield and this is one of those potential mines.

The few coins I have tersely browsed have not been my specialty, or in my league, so I have not really even considered them.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    they removed the popcorn icon image
  • Options

<< <i>they removed the popcorn icon image >>

Just save it yourself then!

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    No opinion, just a factual statement here:

CoinsareNeat has confirmed to me that the 21-S Buffalo was his, is his, and the raw Ebay 1921-S Buffalo is the bodybagged coin.

Edited for spelling
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    I have always felt that this particular member misrepresents his coins... Either overgrading them and asking full price guide value, or providing only blurry images and claiming that it grades X and "guarantees" that. He also seems to be opposed to sending any of his coins in for certification, and he would rather sell them raw, perhaps to hide problems?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can use mine >>

Thanks. image

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

He does seem to have a lot of "big money" stuff for a YN...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems kind of ludicrous to buy an _expensive_ non-returnable item based on tiny little postage stamp pictures like that. Who knows what lurks on the surface of that coin? >>

It's funny as most of the bidders are vest pocket dealers trying to make a score! image

<< <i>I think that all you really demonstrated is that eBay is a dumping ground. It is a minefield and this is one of those potential mines.

The few coins I have tersely browsed have not been my specialty, or in my league, so I have not really even considered them. >>

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

pretty clear to me the guy is a crook
  • Options

That would be an interesting game to play...image

image >>

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>That would be an interesting game to play...image

image >>

>>

• Options
    I guess seatedlibertykeys is teaching a under graduate program image
  • Options
    Hey, cool. Popcorn test:
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    I just noticed the caliber, .454 Casull, WOW, thats some serious Roulette, lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That would be an interesting game to play...image

image >>

>>

image >>

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of who is named as a questionable seller, it proves the point that buyers should be wary of deals in numismatics that seem to be too good to be true. If pictures are consistently fuzzy then chances are that there's an imperfection or issue that needs to be concealed. If a dealer keeps claiming that he should send his coins for grading and "guarantees" his grades but never actually does so then you'll know that something's not right.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I've noticed that all the pictures he provides are really fuzzy and that he claims that he will send his coins for grading at PCGS but never actually does. It just shows if offers don't seem right then chances are something's wrong. It's the reason why I'm extremely selective with the dealer whom I deal with.
  • Options

popcorn test
  • Options
    TTT, seems like someone needs to comment here....
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Coinsareneat where are you?image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options

<< <i>I guess seatedlibertykeys is teaching a under graduate program image >>

I've always wondered if seatedlibertykeys and coinsareneat are somehow connected. It is very strange that these two persons are the only ones I know of on this board selling raw coins at high prices which at one time or another have failed to make the garde.
  • Options

Just for the record, I have made 3 BST purchases from CoinsAreNeat and did not have any problems. If I thought the coins were slightly overgraded, I made a commensurate offer and purchased the coins.

The OP point is well taken and his assumptions are correct regarding WorldStampsPlusMore. That said, it is a caveat emptor market and eBay leads the way.
  • Options
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    don't you guys get thirsty eating all that popcorn?
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
  • Options
    imageimageimage

imageimageimage
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    don't you guys get thirsty eating all that popcorn?

imageimageimageNOPE imageimageimage
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>don't you guys get thirsty eating all that popcorn? >>

I'm definitely thirsty. image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>You make a good arguement, but unfortunately I feel that eBay is fair game for all types of problem coins (some sellers disclose problems, but usually not)

image >>

Actually, I was hoping my point was more towards not being to trustful of items on the BST just because they are on the BST.
  • Options

<< <i>Coinsareneat where are you?image >>

I think this thread has ran him away. Seeing that we are on page 3 and no response from him.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever he was getting flamed several weeks ago, I sent him this PM:

Joe,
    If you want a second opinion on the grades of your coins for the BST boards, give me a call. I live in New Market.
    Mike

He never responded. I always found it strange he had such high dollar coins that were uncerfitied.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    He was on earlier, TTT in case he would like to respond.
    Becky
  • Options
    Here is my response:
    1) I am a YN.
    2) I am not good at taking photos and they are not meant to be deceiving.
    3) I am not a crook.
    4) I have no clue who "seatedlibertykeys" even is?
    5) Not all coins need certified if you guarantee authenticity in my opinion
    6) Thanks FishyOne for the comment...where are the rest of people that I have made very successful transactions with?
    7) Michael Dixon, I sent you a PM and will probably take you up on your offer
    8) The Buffalo Nickel was sold as "MS-64 in MY opinion" , also I sincerely believe that the coin shouldn't have BB'd at PCGS. The coin sold for a MS-60 price so no harm done...Also, the winning bidder I believe is putting together a Dansco set I believe...Coins do not need certified to be in a Dansco and this is an absolute great coin for a Dansco. If he does not like it he can return it as I told him...
    9) I have decided that from now on I will get expensive ($1000+) coins certified before selling unless I give a money back guarantee that it will grade XX.
    10) I would like to know what the popcorn is for?
    11) Hope I can learn more about grading so I get better at it...When I get the age of you all I should be betterimage
    12) Out of the people that I have sold or traded with I have had no complaints that the solution was not resolved.
    13)I invite everyone to join my giveaway that I will start in two weeks on the forum...Please let me know what kind of coin you would like to be given away...image
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    What is a YN doing with a bunch of high price coins?

My post is not meant to demean the subject of this discussion, or add fuel to the fire, but it is just what popped into my head as I read this thread.

I suggest that this YN gets some professional help, wether it is for photography, or how to grade coins. It can only help him to become a better coin collector.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file