Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some OC cards I can Live with

I'm waiting on an auction to end - and I was thinking how fussy I am about centering for the set and I went to my graded file and picked up some stars I picked up at minimum bid back in the early 90s before ebay - no one wanted them - I was more than happy with them.

I know these will offend the eye of many - but I like them and for the money, I feel like I have some really nice "poor-man's" 7s and 8s.

I know some will feel like they just went thru the gallery from hell - but I hope some - like myself - who like bargains - can live with the centering issue - see past it - and like the card.

As some of us ole timers have said - back in our day we knew nothing about OC, MK, trimmed or anything. Personally - I didn't even realize there were series!

Thanx for viewing
mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards, I'd be happy to own any of them!

For some reason, top-bottom centering doesn't bother me as much on this card. It cost me a little less than 7 money.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike,

As king of the PSA 4/5/6, those cards are a sight to behold. I really love the colors on the 55 Williams. Also, the Palin rookie doesn't look OC at all.

Cool stuff.

-Tom
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to own any of those cards...great stuff, as always, Mike
  • Options
    I like all of the cards and if I could get them for psa 5,6, or 7 money, I would!!! Great cards.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with auctions Mike, I hope you do well! I have a hard time with OC cards but some of those especially the 55's and '58 Aaron look great!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I like 'em and have no problem owning them, as a collector.

BUT, when I go to sell them, I get creamed.

Thus, I now will only buy them super-cheap.

Until fairly recently, I thought hoarding the nicest OCs was a smart-money play. I
    thought the market would eventually "get it." I have changed my mind. It seems
    that centering becomes MORE important to the market as each day passes.

But, again, they make collecting attractive cards affordable. And, most 8 and 9 (OCs)
    look like they just came out of the pack.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    1955 Topps was a rough year for centering in baseball as well as football it would seem.

I am perfectly content collecting mid (or even low) grade, but I have passed on countless 1955 TAA cards in trying to put together this set due to major centering flaws.

Like most, I find horizontal centering to be more important than vertical, but even there I can be pretty forgiving on a portrait oriented card with less than perfect left-to-right centering. Case in point, I would be happy to have at least half of those cards posted above in my personal collection... although I would prefer to have them with a lower grade and no qualifiers.

No doubt there are some great bargains to be had if the ST, MK, OC, or other qualifiers don't bother you.

Snorto~

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left to right centering is easily forgiven when yellow runs into white IMO.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    super nice cards mike. i would love to have them in my own hands. kudos.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are appealing cards Mike, o/c or not.
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I LOVE that '58 Aaron!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, the Palin rookie doesn't look OC at all >>

Mike
  • Options
    Thanx for the kind words guys.

And yes, I agree on the selling issue. That's why they're in my collection for keeps.

I don't buy cards like that anymore unless the price is really right. The card I'm waiting on is one of the better centered I've seen in a few years - so I over-sniped it!

Back in the 90s, I probably overpaid compared to today!

That's just the way it goes in a hobby - wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanx again!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    i dont mind the oc too much when it is just thin at the bottom, like the mantle berra...

• Options
    those cards are beautiful; nice color, sharp corners. Centering is overrated, its not like they are miscut.

gorgeous cards.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Great cards Mike. I sure don't mind cards that OC a bit, especially when they look that good.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

I'd be tempted to crack and resubmit. This looks like a no-brainer unqualified PSA 6 to my eyes...
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I would love to have any of those cards in my collection. I am a collector of PSA 5, 6 & 7 vintage myself and those would fit nicely. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Screw what the slab says. In fact, those were graded in the olden days when they wouldn't let the submitter choose whether a qualifier could be given (which I think is complete BS by the way). I would venture to guess that within 3 submissions, all of the 55s and 56s would be straight 7s if they were submitted with "No Qualifiers Please" on the submission form. Even the Koufax.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, nice cards Mike.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone should snub their nose at having those beauties in their collection.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Screw what the slab says. In fact, those were graded in the olden days when they wouldn't let the submitter choose whether a qualifier could be given (which I think is complete BS by the way). I would venture to guess that within 3 submissions, all of the 55s and 56s would be straight 7s if they were submitted with "No Qualifiers Please" on the submission form. Even the Koufax. >>

I will disagree with you with regard to eventual PSA 7's. In fact, the only one that I could possibly see from the 1955 and 1956 group would be the 1956 Aaron. But then again, I've seen some ugly stuff in holders with the "new" labels on eBay lately...
  • Options
    I'm with you Stone - those are nice cards.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this what they used to make those flips?

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this what they used to make those flips?

image >>

Negative - that model does not have the dreaded zero with the line through it. However, Stone did use one of those to do his high school term papers.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I thought he used a hammer and chisel?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought he used a hammer and chisel? >>

He had to, those cave walls were hard.
  • Options
    You guys are funny - true - but funny.

Now - here's the card I was waiting for - the first in quite some time that was centered - AND - I got it for 26.65! (SMR 40)

For anyone who knows this set - centering is tough!

Fun nite for me - also picked up a Teddygame PM10 pin, a movie lobby card - baseball related - called Big Leaguer - 1953 - I'll post when I get it - it starred Edward G. Robinson and had a cameo with Carl Hubbell - and a Hartland Yogi w/mask - usually the mask is missing/lost.

Great nite!!!!!!!!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I don't have a rookie Palin unfortunately but I do have this beaut
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Some very nice cards there...here is one of my favorites. How do you like it?

Jeff

• Options
    Those are what I call tastefully OC. I crack them and keep them raw. Absolute beauties..........

Dave D.
  • Options

<< <i>Screw what the slab says. In fact, those were graded in the olden days when they wouldn't let the submitter choose whether a qualifier could be given (which I think is complete BS by the way). I would venture to guess that within 3 submissions, all of the 55s and 56s would be straight 7s if they were submitted with "No Qualifiers Please" on the submission form. Even the Koufax. >>

I was thinking the same thing... I think several of those could pass for 7's and maybe a lucky 8 or two!
  • Options
    The older the card is, the more impressed I am that it simply survived crease free with corners intact

Being well preserved for 70 years is far more of an accomplishment than being made perfectly (from ebay):

Once into the 60s and 70s, they simply need to present nicely, sometimes oc takes away a little, sometimes a little more, sometimes nothing at all -- the 71 Clemente is closer to a 10, than a lot of 9s I've seen
    Tom
  • Options
    I even thought that this card looked good for a MC qualifier:

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Some cards in this thread! O/c bothers me a little bit, but I am the FIRST one to say to pick up a card with a st,mk qualifier in hi grade! Granted if the Mk/st isnt too rough or detract from the appeal of the card

stamp in green background, one of the highest graded and one of the toughest in the set

both these have the smallest mk on back

• Options

I like Duke Snider so I bought this with a o/c qualifer.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or do you think of "Three's Company" when you see that picture of Palin?