Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOT TO SEE THESE!!!!!!

Ok just completed the purchase. $1,234.00. Please let me know what you think and if the grades/description is accurate.

Mexico 1-2 UN PESO CABILLITO 1911 KM-453. SCARCE DATE IN AU(55).
imageimage

Mexico3-4 UN PESO 'CABILLITO' 1913 KM-453. CHOICE BU
imageimage

Mexico5-6, WINGED VICTORY 2 PESOS 1921 KM-462. CHOICE AU(55)
imageimage

Mexico 7-8, 1910 KM-453 'CABILLITO' HORSE PESO. COIN IS A CHOICE AU/UN OR VERY SLOPPY 60.

imageimage

Mexico 9-10, UN PESO 1911 HORSE 'CABILLITO' PESO KM-453. CHOICE AU/UNC OR MINIMAL60 THAT HAS PROOF LIKE SURFACE. MUST HAVE BEEN ONE OF FIRST COINS OF THE DIE.
imageimage

Mexico 11-12, MEXICO UN PESO 1910 KM-453. CHOICE AU+ COIN
imageimage

Mexico 13-14, CABALITO PESO 1911 KM-453 CHOICE AU 55 COIN
imageimage

Mexico 15-16, CHOICE AND SELECT BU HORSE"CABALLITO" UN PESO 1913 KM-453. CONSIDER THIS COIN 63+
imageimage

Chris

Comments

• Options
    Wow!
    Beautiful coins!
    Gratz on your biggest purchase!

TheKid!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Hi Chris, did the seller offer a return policy? If so, please take a very good look at these coins when you receive them (or have an experienced numismatist do it). If they are all BU (MS62-63), the price is fair. However, if the pictures and descriptions are any indication, many of them may be circulated, or worse, cleaned. The 10, 11 and 13 are all fairly common in BU commanding prices in the range of $200-300 each (when certified and problem-free). The 12 and 14 are much harder to find in BU, but unfortunately your lot doesn't includes these key dates. I don't know about the 1921 Two Pesos. So, if the Caballitos are AU or cleaned, you're looking at a fair price of only a few hundred dollars. I don't want to "diss" your coins in any way and hope they grade better in hand. Just want to make sure you don't get burned, especially if you're new to collecting world coins. Let me know if I can help in any way. Regards, Tim

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Another forum member, TwoKopenski, may have some comments as well. He is a keen collector of Mexican. Here is a picture of what a BU Caballito might look like (as a comparison). It is a NGC 63 and cost $240 two years ago. I don't believe values have appreciated substantially for Caballitos over the past 24 months.

imageimage

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Tim,

I would be a fool to take constructive criticism wrong lol. I am fairly new to the collecting. I have bought from the dealer before and she's pretty good about being on point as far as what she sells. I bought a much nicer 1921 dos peso from her about 3 months. I figure for what they look im paying about value probably a little less. I dont beleive i'll resell them, moreso send in to pcgs to get graded.

Im seriously thinking of collecting 1800-1950' mexico silver coins.

She does have a return policy and I havent used it as of yet.

chris
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Im with Filam on this. Hopefully its just the scans, but most of those coins have a very unnatural (read cleaned) look to them. If they were $15-$20 apiece, it wouldnt matter much. But since this is your largest coin deal, I'd get an opinion from a local dealer on these pieces. Its better to return and feel the temporary sting of a deal that didnt happen than to hold and regret the purchase each time you look at these coins.
  • Options
    Chris;

I'd be a little concerned about the 1913 Cabalitto Peso.. to me it looks dipped & polished..

I own a '13 that's developed nice peripheral toning from my Dansco that shows _more detail even under a 20x loupe..

Keep us updated...
  • Options
    Chris,

The images are all highly compressed JPEG's, and that makes it hard to know what may be the coin, as opposed to what are compression artifacts.

The artifacts form a hint of square blocking on all the images, which only becomes apparent with very high compression levels.

That being said, I agree that some appear to be cleaned, but with such highly compressed images, I am certain they appear much different in hand, and so it would be difficult (if not impossible) to say for certain using only the images to judge.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, now. Those are beautiful and very attractive coins, from a design standpoint. I have never had one, personally.

I am with Filam 100% on this, though. Be very wary of cleaning. They look cleaned in the pics, but it could just be the pics.

I would imagine that counterfeits might also be a danger on a popular type like this, but if those are fakes, they're sophisticated enough to fool me, anyway. I wouldn't be overly concerned about that issue, I guess.

If you do get cleaned or polished coins, there is nothing wrong with that IF you do not plan on slabbing them, and IF the price you paid was correspondingly adjusted.

You had some stuff you needed help with last night and I was too busy and had to politely brush you off. Was it these? Is there still something you wanted me to look at? Sorry I couldn't help last night.

Nice coins. I can't comment on pricing or values on them due to lack of experience with the type, but it's easy to see why they are popular, and even cleaned they would still be desirable. IF, as I said, you paid a sufficiently reduced price to take the cleaning into account, and you don't plan on submitting them to a TPG.

Here's hoping they're lovely in hand when you get them!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hola!

Just got back from 5 days up North. Top of Lake Huron. Great weather, fishing, food, friends - definitely not long enough image

Anywho, the coins...

Lots of cleaned pieces, in my opinion. The only two I think will grade are the last 1913 (MS+) and the 2 Pesos (AU, if still lustre present).

Roamin Roman needs to take better pictures for his eBay sales. I've never purchased from the guy, so not sure what the coins are like in-hand. Keep us updated once you receive them.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Those appear to be scans, not photos, so it's much harder to tell if they are cleaned because scans don't do a good job of capturing luster. Also, if you got them from the eBay seller 2K mentioned, I would advise you to assume they were cleaned unless proven otherwise. My experience with him suggests that he either doesn't care or can't tell the difference.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Can't tell at all from those pics. Just me, but I would have avoided all of those pieces if all I had to go on was the pictures, unless there is a no-questions-asked return policy.

Caballitos are a B1TCH to photograph, IMO. Something about the design and surfaces that makes anything under MS64 look like ass when photographed. Combine that with the fact that the vast majority encountered are cleaned, and it's a minefield...
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Those appear to be scans, not photos, so it's much harder to tell if they are cleaned because scans don't do a good job of capturing luster. Also, if you got them from the eBay seller 2K mentioned, I would advise you to assume they were cleaned unless proven otherwise. My experience with him suggests that he either doesn't care or can't tell the difference. >>

yup, if he got them from that particular seller, i would have paid $200-250 for the lot, as i'd assume they are cleaned (and many look that way)

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I've never eyed any of these pieces, but I'd definitely listen to the advice from those here that have some experience with these coins and the seller

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I would like to thank everyone for the advice on and off thise post. As soon as I get these in hand I will take some good photos of them and post to see what you think.

Chris
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about these type of coins, but there are knowledgeable members giving their thought on them.
    All I can say is that $1,234 is a lot of money, and I hope they are OK. You can't blame yourself as it's hard to tell from scans.
    If they are cleaned I would be demanding my money back, as that would obviously affect their value.