Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Full Time vs. Part Time

I have a question for the full time dealers..

Do full time dealers look at part time dealers different or do you see them as an asset?

Do you feel its harder to compete with them?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a dealer (full or part time) is not a resource, they are competitors. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Collectors that sell to other collectors can be considered part time dealers and competition for full time dealers that would normally be the middle man on a transaction.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question for the full time dealers..

Do full time dealers look at part time dealers different or do you see them as an asset?

Do you feel its harder to compete with them? >>

Why would it make any difference to me if another dealer is full or part time?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would it make any difference to me if another dealer is full or part time? >>

Perhaps in the wholesale/retail price you sell to them?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why would it make any difference to me if another dealer is full or part time? >>

Perhaps in the wholesale/retail price you sell to them? >>

Huh? So my prices should change based on the number of hours per week another dealer devotes to the coin business?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Why would it make any difference to me if another dealer is full or part time? >>

Good point, a dealer is a dealer and some are just better than others.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Huh? So my prices should change based on the number of hours per week another dealer devotes to the coin business? >>

I don't know. You're the dealer.

Do you price your coins the same whether you're selling to a another dealer or a collector?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Huh? So my prices should change based on the number of hours per week another dealer devotes to the coin business? >>

I don't know. You're the dealer.

Do you price your coins the same whether you're selling to a another dealer or a collector? >>

It depends on whether or not the collector is full or part time.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Do you price your coins the same whether you're selling to a another dealer or a collector? >>

It depends on whether or not the collector is full or part time.

But seriously, I don't price my coins differently based on whether someone is full-time, part-time or a collector. Usually, the price doesn't change. When it does, it's either because I think I can get more, because I think I'll have to take less, or because I have a relationship with the person that I choose to reward.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Say that full time dealer "A" and part time dealer "B" are looking at the same collection..

Does Dealer "A" every think that Dealer "B" can offer a little more since they possible do not have to carry the margins...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just made the transition from part time to full time. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Life IS different- far different from when I was working a "regular" job.

I don't look at part-timers any differently yet, because I so recently was one, and I still think that way. It's a whole different mindset, though.

There is a big difference in one's quality standards and negotiation tactics when one must earn a living at the game, for example. When your living is at stake, it is a whole different ballgame, and sometimes the name of the game is hardball. Or fastball.

I am fortunate enough to have a wife who is still employed full time in the "real" world, with benefits like health insurance and so on. Otherwise, this transition would be much more frightening.

My recent and unexpected layoff from my regular job of the last seven and a half years, while it shell-shocked me, has proven to be a golden opportunity in one sense.

I would never have had the nerve to dive into numismatics full time on my own, so I wouldn't have quit my regular job. Had I not been laid off, I would still basically be a part-time, vest-pocket dealer at most. A hobbyist, in other words, "playing" coin dealer. And had I been fired (instead of laid off and downsized through no fault of my own), I would not have my family's support, especially that of my wife.

Since I have been "forced" into assuming numismatics as a job (not at all reluctantly), my wife sees me as "working" now, when I am doing coin stuff, and that is good. I am selling off my core personal collection for capital, and the increased (albeit temporary) cashflow has impressed her. She didn't entirely realize that I had $7K just stashed away in just one of my binders. That is not chump change for us. Now it isn't just "on paper"- it is real money. I have gotten a safe deposit box and starting to think more about security. Will have less valuable stuff just lying around in the future. I have to think about taxes and insurance and all that stuff now, too. Ugh.

The local job market possibilities did not look good at all. I did put in three applications, got a rejection on the one job I would have liked, and never heard back on the other two. It's for the best. I would rather do something I love and make a tad less money at it than toil away daily at a job I hate, no matter how well-paid. Working in the corporate culture was getting me down. I didn't realize how much until I was out of that scene.

I'm still "playacting" at the coin dealer thing, of course, but everybody has to start somewhere. I have taken on some consignments and am gonna get my old antique mall booth spruced up for renewed activity.

So here's to new beginnings! Cheers! LordM makes the leap of faith, at long last.

Couldn't have done it without the support of friends here, most likely.

PS- one lesson I apparently have yet to learn is to SHUT UP and stop gushing and babbling my personal stuff like this all over the forums. I've always been an open book... perhaps too much so. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Dealer "A" every think that Dealer "B" can offer a little more since they possible do not have to carry the margins...

Not likely. Any "Dealer A" that factors his overhead into his buy prices will soon be out of business.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Dealer "A" every think that Dealer "B" can offer a little more since they possible do not have to carry the margins...

Not likely. Any "Dealer A" that factors his overhead into his buy prices will soon be out of business. >>

I have always thought that true....although there have been several threads indicating the need for dealers to build in overhead into prices.

Thats like saying collectors should build in their costs of collecting to their bids, or price they are willing to pay for a coin. Thats silly too.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file