Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this outrageous?

RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
I attended a coin show yesterday and browsed through tons of great looking coins and amongst them all, I find a lonely 1965 Lincoln SMS in PCGS MS64BN. It caught my eye has it had an amazing green tone over the obverse surfaces, almost neon-like. I tend to buy what catches my eye at times, even if its worth only a few bucks so I ask how much to the dealer. She quotes me $300?!?!?! Is this just a little insane for a premium just because of some color? While I know that pretty, naturally toned coins do often cost a little more over a typical example for the type in some cases, there is no way to justify paying that much for a coin as common as that and in such a low MS. /thread.

Ryan

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan,

Seriously, if out of a full case of coins- many of them probably 1K+ coins and most if not all "great looking coins" in and of themselves, the one that caught your eye and has you thinking about it even today was $300.00, I'd think that was a pretty good price.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I meant "great looking coins," as a whole for the show, not just that table. And while yes, that particular table was home to some proof Liberty nickels, IHCs, Mercs, etc. that means that every other coin they offer should carry a premium, too just because? $300 isn't a lot of money for a coin, but in that case I felt it was based on what it is. I more or less just came to vent, as it really just got to me as I was leaving the show.
  • Options

<< <i> While I know that pretty, naturally toned coins do often cost a little more over a typical example for the type in some cases, there is no way to justify paying that much for a coin as common as that and in such a low MS. /thread.

Ryan >>

"a little"?

Attractive naturally toned coins can fetch truckloads more money than the normal pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I meant "great looking coins," as a whole for the show, not just that table. And while yes, that particular table was home to some proof Liberty nickels, IHCs, Mercs, etc. that means that every other coin they offer should carry a premium, too just because? $300 isn't a lot of money for a coin, but in that case I felt it was based on what it is. I more or less just came to vent, as it really just got to me as I was leaving the show. >>

I didn't catch your first post as a venting one. I do now.

Still, sounds like a great show with many neat coins to look at. Did you purchase anything?

peacockcoins

• Options
    For what it's worth, I personally kind of know what it is like to way overpay for a pretty Lincoln cent. This green beauty caught my eye and like that SMS you spotted in the dealer's case, paid many multiples over what it is probably really worth to anyone else.

And, I'm ok with that as it has also brought me many multiples of pleasure in ownership.

peacockcoins

• Options
    "Is this outrageous?"

IMHO...very!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Is this outrageous?"

IMHO...very! >>

What he said.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Is this outrageous?" Most definitely... and it amazes me that people pay the premium... However, their money.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>For what it's worth, I personally kind of know what it is like to way overpay for a pretty Lincoln cent. This green beauty caught my eye and like that SMS you spotted in the dealer's case, paid many multiples over what it is probably really worth to anyone else.

And, I'm ok with that as it has also brought me many multiples of pleasure in ownership.

image >>

That coin is gorgeous! I can understand paying a premium for that. This coin was nowhere close to looking that good. I'd assume your coin was still fairly priced, though. This coin was $300 and how much is an MS-65 SMS, less than $10? This is an MS-64BN, if paying a premium for toning in this case, I was expecting her to quote me maybe $50 or so dollars, but anyways, 'nuff said I supposeryan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I meant "great looking coins," as a whole for the show, not just that table. And while yes, that particular table was home to some proof Liberty nickels, IHCs, Mercs, etc. that means that every other coin they offer should carry a premium, too just because? $300 isn't a lot of money for a coin, but in that case I felt it was based on what it is. I more or less just came to vent, as it really just got to me as I was leaving the show. >>

I didn't catch your first post as a venting one. I do now.

Still, sounds like a great show with many neat coins to look at. Did you purchase anything? >>

I did, nothing too spectacular probably to many, but I'm happy with them. I picked up a 1909 $2.5 Indian PCGS AU58 and I found what I was looking for, a 1972 Lincoln DDO PCGS MS62BN, which is my new baby till I can find a 1955 DDO for less than $1500.

Ryan
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the market will bear the price then the market will bear the price. You do not have to purchase coins that you believe are overpriced. Would I have purchased the coin in your circumstance? Likely not, but then again I would not purchase a blast white, common date MS65 Morgan for $100, either. Though I believe the market supports those Morgans in that range, I would pass because I value my cash more than that possible purchase, which seems to be what happened with you and the Lincoln cent.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I attended a coin show yesterday and browsed through tons of great looking coins and amongst them all, I find a lonely 1965 Lincoln SMS in PCGS MS64BN. It caught my eye has it had an amazing green tone over the obverse surfaces, almost neon-like. I tend to buy what catches my eye at times, even if its worth only a few bucks so I ask how much to the dealer. She quotes me $300?!?!?! Is this just a little insane for a premium just because of some color? While I know that pretty, naturally toned coins do often cost a little more over a typical example for the type in some cases, there is no way to justify paying that much for a coin as common as that and in such a low MS. /thread.

Maybe the dealer meant to say $3.00???

Ryan >>

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    seller greed. They probably do not care if they sell it or not. Is seller greed a bad thing???
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Not only outrageous, it's image
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>seller greed. They probably do not care if they sell it or not. Is seller greed a bad thing??? >>

Can only sell it if buyer has desire for it. Greed and desire have a very close relationship especially since greed is an offspring of desire.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green toning IMO is one of the rarer colors to find on a coin. If the coin was valued at $50, it would last less than 15 minutes in a dealers case and you would have never seen it. At $150, perhaps a couple of hours.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Why get upset? If you are at Neiman Marcus and see a shirt that catches your eye, then you look at the price tag and see $175, do you get angry? No, you might chuckle, or if you REALLY like it you might even buy it. Part of the hunt includes wading through bad deals to find good deals. It's a lot more fun to celebrate the victories and not get upset about the coins you can't or won't buy.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it's a free market, if it doesn't sell, the owner may knock the price down a bit. I think a coin is worth what someone (who has a chance to examine it directly!) is willing to pay for it.
  • Options
    In the immortal words of the lady in the red dress, "Just Say No." Why be outraged? Either the seller will eventually get real and lower the price, or someone else will buy the coin who values it more than you do. Meanwhile, the seller has the right to ask any price ... and you can simply say, "No thanks."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file