Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

When Selling Coins is like Selling kids

I just posted my mercury and rosie dimes as well as canadian 10/25 cents on BST for sale. It was really hard to sell anything but I have realize my coins have gotten out of hand. I filled a collection book of the dimes i wanted to keep and the others were in a bag.

Anyone else have problems selling coins they really dont want/need but just hate to sell.

Guess im just a horder

Chris

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    There is a very fine line between "collection" and "accumulation". I personally try to stay on the side of the former.
  • Options
    Well, It's still Legal to see your Kids in Mississippii !!!

Baby 4 sale
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody with teenagers would be tempted to sell them in moments of aggravation... well providing you could find some idiot buyer that could put up with them. At least my coins don't argue with me.image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    the maddening ones are coins that i COULD part with, but have too much fondness and respect for their history to stomach selling them for the $1.25 they might well bring in on ebay
  • Options
    Glenn, you beat me to it!
    I was going to say "Well, I've never sold a kid..."

My toughest coins to sell have been a complete Gold Coast proof set I'd assembled (tackoe, ackeys), an 1894 Canadian half in au, a gorgeous Waitangi crown, and any number of Gothic crowns. Seems I kept coming up with houses to buy, kids to put through college, etc. (None of them were hard to sell, literally, just heartbreaking to let go.)

Best to all ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I HAAAAATEEE having to sell any of the coins which I own. I have lots of collections going at any given time, but the return on investment keeps me from keeping them. I have now given myself a certain guideline that makes things okay to sell my favorites. First, most of the coins that I own, regardless of how much I paid for it, can be replaced, with some exceptions to that rule. Second, anytime I can make a clean profit on a coin I sell it. This keeps me from actually having to divest of coins for a loss. Although, recently I have gotten rid of coins for no profits, I have been able to keep my losses, as a total, at a possitive rate because of coins I bought at a bargain. My third point is, as long as I have owned it and taken a picture of it, slept with it under my pillow, taken it out for dinner, etc... I can let it go. I would much rather have had the opportunity to have touched it, catalogue it, taken pictures of it and learn its history than to have it sit in a box with other coins and lose value or interest. I myself am a hoarder, but I have made myself realize that I cannot afford it. Maybe, someday, I will be rich enough to have a collection with a provenance that collectors will want in their own collections, but until that time comes, I will sell my coins in order to afford and buy that coin I really want. -Dan
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Dan,

thats a very good reply thanks. I find myself doing the same hoarding. I just recently sold a 25 pound lot of world coins i was acculating that the cats played with because i had no interest in them and further hate to sell anything.

Chris