Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cracker’s Remorse… Second Thoughts on the 7070 Type Set (500th Post!!)

2»

Comments

• Options
    As several others have said, I'm facing the same dilemma. So some (most) of my coins are in the Dansco... and I get a huge thrill from filling an empty spot in it! But as the coins get more expensive, I'm finding myself less and less willing to remove them from their slabs. Right now, my thinking is that I won't crack out any more until I can fill the album. When that day finally comes, and I've got the last coin I need, I don't think I'll be able to resist the urge to SEE IT complete. But I'm doing this for me and to honor what my parents started. If I had children to leave it to, I'd probably leave them slabbed... sure takes a lot of the joy out of it though.
  • Options
    Please count me in. Thanks for the giveaway.
  • Options
    really nice set.
    Thanks for the giveaway!

• Options
    Nice work, and thanks for teh chance.

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    WOW ! I sure had fun looking at what you have going there, but I would not continue to crack out, especially if you are going to sell later. Heck, I have a problem cracking out any slab. I did it once, just once, and it took me forever to accept the coin out of the slab. Anyway, I could only dream of acquiring a collection like the one you having going. Congrats!!!
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    IIRC, the most expensive coin I cracked for my 7070 was about $1200. I have no regrets about cracking them.

Look at the bright side - if and when you decide to sell the coins, with gradeflation, they will probably come back a few points higher image

BTW, I really like those extra pages for the inserts, too.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Nice looking set. I still think proof coins look out of place in a 7070.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I appreciate the time, effort and love that has gone into your 7070 it is nothing short of fantastic. However, I think you're making the right move for the coins you think you'll upgrade. Has putting together what you have in the set led you to know what direction your collecting will take? Or are you going to continue collecting types and do the registry set route?
    >>

Oh, in collecting a type set, I haven't quite found myself falling in love with one particular type yet. I guess I could say I do really like RB and RD copper. I also like key and semi-key dates image (which I know the type set registry set ATS doesn't reward at all, so I'm not sure I'll ever go very far with that). For example, I'd much rather have my 64RD 1909-S Lincoln than a common date 67RD (which would provide many more points). I do like the registry idea for at least organizing/displaying my collection though.

So far, I think I'm going to continue collecting type, but will focus on better date examples I think, rather than just trying to fill a spot.

<< <i>Look at the bright side - if and when you decide to sell the coins, with gradeflation, they will probably come back a few points higher

BTW, I really like those extra pages for the inserts, too. >>

Yeah, as I've mentioned in the OP, I've already sent one back in as part of my first submission in order to meet the minimum # of coins and it upgraded!!! 1883 5c w/ CENTS went from PCGS MS65 to NGC MS66. I don't expect that'll happen everytime though image

I know several of you have asked the insert pages I made and I appreciate the comments. They were made using transparent acid free "Photo Corners" which I bought at Michael's arts and crafts store. Sold by the roll of 250 for a few dollars. Just get the smallest size they make and they are not too hard to figure out. More info HERE!

<< <i>Nice looking set. I still think proof coins look out of place in a 7070. >>

I've gotten a few comments about that and can understand completely. I agree that a well matched set does look really nice regardless of the matched grade. I've gotten the most comments about sticking the 1992 Columbus 500th proof next to the 1892 Columbian image I just thought it was cool to have the 400th anniversary coin right next to the 500th. I just love the way proofs of any year look. I also figure that if I had a proof example of the 1892, I'd love to have that in my album as well, so why not the 1992 image

And finally, it's just so much easier to get proof examples of the modern stuff. With the exception of my 1996-W dime, I wasn't going to pay the premiums to get slabbed moderns. With that in mind, it was either cut up mint sets or proof sets to get high quality examples; I chose the proofs.

• Options
    Very nice set, thanks for the giveaway!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Please count me in your giveaway.

Thanks!
  • Options
    FropaFropa Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Thanks for the contest. I'm working on a 7070 and have thought about cracking slabs, but haven't yet.
  • Options
    Please count me in for the giveaway - your set is so sweet!

Gaby
    Brie

I am a YN that likes collecting state quarters and newer dollar coins
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Thats one nice set. Why not reslab the better ones and leave the other ones in the Dansco and finish it with lower graded raw ones (and cheaper ones). Nothing wrong with having Two sets.
    ED
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats one nice set. Why not reslab the better ones and leave the other ones in the Dansco and finish it with lower graded raw ones (and cheaper ones). Nothing wrong with having Two sets. >>

Agreed. For me personally, a 7070 album is exactly that. A "virtual" album is not the same thing. If it was, I could just download pictures off the net, insert them into my virtual album and then pretend they are my coins. It just doesn't work for me, but that's for me, not you or anyone else.

If you want to put together one "real" album, sell your slabbed coins and then use that money start purchasing raw coins. Set an amount of money that you are comfortable with to spend on any one coin. Then determine what grade some of the tougher coins are going to be available in. That will determine what the set will look like when you are done.

Will you make mistakes? Sure you will. But you will learn so much more doing this then by purchasing slabbed coins. Purchasing slabbed coins is easy, the risk is minimal, and that's the whole point. Raw coins, ahhh, the risk! It will make you think, look harder, question what you see. Fill the album, sell the poorest specimens, see what you can get for them. Made a mistake? Now you have learned something you will never forget.

In the future, it will also help you figure out which slabbed coins are undergraded, overgraded or are graded correctly. Think of the opportunities!

I assume that if you are too scared to crack open the more expensive coins you have purchased slabbed, your raw coin budget will be far less in cost. So what. It doesn't make you less of a coin collector or your collection worth less intrinsically.

There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    ******** doing the free coin dance!! **********

thanks for the G'away
  • Options
    Great collection for sure ! Please enter me in your giveaway too.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Please enter me in the giveaway. Thanks.
  • Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance at your giveaway!

Great progress on your set. I agree with others: try to complete it using less expensive circulated coins. And good luck!
  • Options
    Nice set. Please add me to the giveaway and thanks.
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Nice album. Count me in. Thanks.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Please and thank you!
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I always wanted to do one of those.....cool man.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    WHAT A GIVEAWAY!! Add me in+++++
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    A very good start om your 7070. I may start one and would like to buy better coins too, but considering the cost of some them I would probably need to make adjustments.
    I just cracked a Kennedy half for my Dansco of those. Thanks for sharing and the chance!
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

<< <i>Thats one nice set. Why not reslab the better ones and leave the other ones in the Dansco and finish it with lower graded raw ones (and cheaper ones). Nothing wrong with having Two sets. >>

Definitely leaning towards doing this. Keep my good coins in the safety deposit box and have some lower graded ones in the Dansco on the bookshelf. Will probably send in a few of the higher grades ones for slabbing, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll stay about the same grade image I'm going to take a break from buying type coins though I think, at least until I figure out what I'm going to do for sure. Unless of course a great deal comes along... image

Anyone still awake?? Still a couple of hours left to enter for the giveaway if you're interested!!

Thanks again everyone!!
  • Options
    Using the random integer generator at random.org, the winner was chosen for me...

and the winner is....... Brie13!!! image

PM sent to the winner! Thanks again everyone!!!
  • Options
    Great looking set,
    I to have just started on my set .Thanks for the chance and Please add my Grandson Tylers name for your giveaway.MoJoimage
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the give-a-way!

I love the extra pages for the lables. Better than in a rubberband like mine....lol.

I would keep on cracking I LIKE to see all my coins together, however each to their own liking.

Upgrading seems to be an addiction we all suffer from!

Good Luck!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options

<< <i>

I know several of you have asked the insert pages I made and I appreciate the comments. They were made using transparent acid free "Photo Corners" which I bought at Michael's arts and crafts store. Sold by the roll of 250 for a few dollars. Just get the smallest size they make and they are not too hard to figure out. More info HERE!
    >>

I know there were a lot of positive comments and interest in the homemade insert tag pages that I made when I first posted this thread. Since I've abandoned my 7070 crackout set in favor of just doing a registry set, I no longer need these pages. Accordingly, they have been donated to airplanenut's charity auction. They will be shipped to the winner free of charge and I'll email the winner an excel template for making custom insert tags for their raw coins to be included on the pages. Bid high as it's for a really good cause.

Link to Charity Auction - Lot 077!!!!
  • Options

Bump because I had fun reading it again... eight years here on the forum has sure flown by!!!

:+1:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 4:29PM

Nice thread to bring back. Sounds like a great journey. Any updated photos of the 7070?

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭

I remember reading this thread back when I was working on my 7070. Can you imagine how great it would have been with today's version of the forum's photo posting ability?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's nice but I just don't like what them books do to coins. We need a better way to store or show are coins in them books. The slides rub the coins in them if you look at your coins a lot and gives them fine hair line scratches. But I love the way it looks all put together.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file