Home Sports Talk
Options

New Evidence Babe Ruth Was the First African-American Baseball Player

Omaha resident J. Anderson Cross Offers New Evidence Babe Ruth Was the First African-American Baseball Player in New Book to Be Released in September, In Time for Last Game at Yankee Stadium. |in NYC Sep 18-23

WHO: J. Anderson Cross, author of The Bambino Secret, reveals Babe Ruth's biggest secret.

WHAT: Babe Ruth's legacy in Yankee Stadium will be celebrated for the last time in September 2008 as the famous baseball stadium closes its doors forever. It may come as a surprise, however, to learn that one of America's greatest heroes carried a long-held secret. He was part black - thus invalidating Jackie Robinson as the first African-American major league baseball player. At least that's the theory behind J. Anderson Cross' upcoming The Bambino Secret (September 2008).

"Babe Ruth played baseball during a time when African-Americans were not allowed to play sports," says Cross. "There is no way the American public would have accepted him during that time period if they knew he was part black. The Yankee team businessmen knew this. They also knew they needed Babe Ruth and would have done anything to make sure that he continued to play the game."

"Considerable research was involved while writing this book," says Cross. "I traveled across the country to local historical societies, searched through numerous slave records and sought information from sources that I couldn"t have found in any library or through Internet research. I was in Abingdon, Virginia when I found the key link in a local handwritten journal entitled Colored Marriages from 1853 to 1859."

WHERE/ WHEN: J. Anderson Cross will be in NYC Sep 18-23

INTERVIEW IDEAS:
* Behind the Scenes: What led Cross to the theory that Babe Ruth was part African-American.
* The Art of Fiction: Why he chose to write a historical novel about his research.
* Yankee Stadium closes::What should go in the museum that it will become.
* All things baseball: Where baseball would be if the Bambino's secret had gotten out.

MEDIA OPPS:
* An advanced copy of the book
* A photocopy of the missing link: Why Cross thinks that Babe Ruth was part African-American.

http://www.thebambinosecret.com/book.html

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

Comments

• Options
    I read somewhere that Ty Cobb suspected that Ruth was of mixed race and wanted nothing to do with him.

Ty Cobb was of course a hard core racist as most people know.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of our ancestors came out of Africa about seven million years ago.
  • Options
    Fo' SAh-hizzle my nizzil!!!

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>All of our ancestors came out of Africa about seven million years ago. >>

All of our ancestors came out of the ocean a few billion years before that

The term African-American didn't exist when Babe Ruth was alive. Segregation was based on skin color, to include dark latin players, it had nothing to do with continental origin. And there were dark skinned players before Ruth so no matter what his color he couldn't have been the first. The author may have done good work in genealogy, but he fails hard at baseball and American history
    Tom