Home Metal Detecting
Options

What are we all looking for anyway?

lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
I've been lurking and checking out detector finds here, and a lot of it looks junky. The coins are in poor condition and often corroded, cans rusted, bottles weathered, etc.

Given the time invested in the search, wouldn't it be a lot faster to just buy those treasures on ebay?

Of course, I love to look for stuff, and as a kid found many beer cans and bottles and fossils, but the best stuff I find anymore are probably recyclable bottles and cans (5 cents each) or new money dropped by someone. I found a quarter last week -- worth as much as a lot of the stuff I see pictured. In a typical year I might find anywhere from a few dollars to thirty dollars. This year I'm happy to report I've found about $200 total.

So, what is it we are looking for anyway?
I brake for ear bars.

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, no, it doesn't make sense to spend 2 hours looking for what's essentially pocket change. I spent two hours a few nights ago and found 73 cents-- I could probably find that in my car if I really looked. Even a scattering of wheat cents don't make it worth it, financially.

But metal detecting (for me) has always been about a lot more than just my tally at the end of the day-- it's the hunt that's the fun. Researching sites and the history that goes along with them; digging in soft, moist soil at night while dodging sprinklers-- the solitude, the ability to tune out everything that happened that day and just focus on tones. To dig or not to dig? The rush you get when you realize whatever the target you've been digging for the last 5 minutes, past roots and rocks, is now in your hand and it's *some* kind of coin. The possibilities. The maybes, the unknowns. Sharing successes (and failures) with other enthusiasts. That's what I'm after.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chaaaaayayayayayaaaaaase.....nuff said....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is that elusive 'big find' that drives most of us... the little ones along the way just keeps our interests whetted... Many beach hunters have found very valuable rings etc.... and some dirt fishers have found real treasure (batch of gold eagles, cash hoards etc).... that keeps us going out time after time... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I know what your saying...but the thrill of the hunt is why I go.....plus you aren't going get any of these on ebay for free:

Some of my finds that were "free"
  • Options
    >>Given the time invested in the search, wouldn't it be a lot faster to just buy those treasures on ebay?<<

The same could be said to the person that goes FISHING - HUNTING ! ! !
    Last year my clad finds were over $400.00 Dollars! That's two or three hours every Sat. & Sun.

The WIFE likes the other GOOD stuff ;-)

PLATINUM WITH 8 DIAMONDS

LOL...E-BAY

This "HOBBY" pays for itself ! !

14K White Gold with 21 DIAMONDS !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I like digging in the dirt!image

And swinging the coil builds muscle.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the thrill of the hunt.Never know what you may find
  • Options
    Whoa... CofC... that is awesome.... that is WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    thats a sweet pile o loot jerry....hot dog! thats what we all hope to find...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like detecting at the one room school site where my Mom and her brothers were students in the 20's. When Mom was still alive she enjoyed looking at the stuff that I came up with from that site.
  • Options
    Hmm..what are we looking for anyways? A question that seems to fit ev1 of us here. Most of us our probably history buffs, love the past, outdoors, and the thrill of what were pulling out of the ground, water, tree roots, etc...to most of us it's like were a kid in a candy store.

Say what ya like, yeah u can buy most of the stuff on ebay, or whatever..but pulling it out yourself is something entirely different..You contemplate how did this come to be here? what circumstances lead to this civil war belt plate lying here?...And in some cases you can build a marvelous story with research, and a little luck...Just ask LM...and his chinese doothingy..or the guy over on the treasure net forum that fouond a 216 yr old pocket book with hand written lyrics to a song...the possibilities are endless..if you choose to chase them...

Eric
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been lurking and checking out detector finds here, and a lot of it looks junky. The coins are in poor condition and often corroded, cans rusted, bottles weathered, etc.

Given the time invested in the search, wouldn't it be a lot faster to just buy those treasures on ebay? >>

Yes it would.

It's like this metaphor.

You could go to a restaurant and order a fish and have it brought to the table, all nicely prepared.

Or you could get up at the crack of dawn, go down to the river, slip on some slimy rocks, put a worm on a hook, throw it in the water, wait, wait, wait, slap some mosquitoes, get a bite, catch the fish, clean it, cook it over a campfire and eat it with just the tiniest bit of dirt and grass on it.

The true fisherman says the second fish is just as flavorful or even tastier than the first, for all the trouble. Anybody who ain't into the quest for its own sake might as well buy his treasures off ebay or his fish in a restaurant.

(I personally like my fish in an aquarium and not on my plate, but you get the idea.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    odds are, there are gonna be alot of days where we only get get common stuff. then there are those days when something great comes along.
    try finding a rare militia belt plate anywhere.
  • Options
    Wow.. nice buckle DemoDigger... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

Now correct me if I'm wrong because I'm pretty much just repeating what I read in a coin collecting forum I frequent, but I believe our own lordmarcovan sold a holed bust half on eBay (which I believe he dug?) which turned out to be a unique/rare variety.

Estimates place its current value to collectors somewhere between $20,000 to $30,000...

While a find like that has enormous finacial and historical value, I'll also point out ANOTHER of lordmarcovan's finds which was a Chinese token that may or may not prove Chinese traders visited North America long before Columbus.

Priceless!

(Sorry to get all hero worshippy, lordmarco... lol)
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll never find the Star Map on eBay-- it was found by a member on here!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.