Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Back from the local coin shop

I went and saw a few trays of raw world gold at my local coin shop, "Falcone's". I love looking through trays of world gold (and choosing the best ones). I'm starting to recognize the common stuff but there is still such a wide variety of interesting stuff.

Unfortunately I have no pictures yet; that will have to ways a few days. Soon, good pictures of three new world gold pieces!

I have a 1929 Vatican 100 Lira piece. Very clean, a few copper spots. A largish piece.
A 191something 5 peso piece from Cuba, circulated with an interesting original surface.
And a 1967 gold coin from.... from... Aw heck. It's my birth year, the design was interesting and the coin was in mid to high MS state. Somewhere in South America, I think. Not a country I have yet... This was also a largish piece, a tad smaller than the Vatican coin.

That is my problem with world gold right now. I will sometimes buy a coin and forget what country it came from. How awful! How can I do that and still be happy with a coin? I am collecting these out of pure joy, apparently!
[edit] I later figured out that this is a Chilean 50 pesos piece.

The owner was not around, but i'll be going back soon when the owner is around. There are quite a few things that he has lots of that I am interested in. I cannot say more.

Art students from the local San Jose State University come in and buy silver, any silver as long as it is sterling or pure, one ounce at a time. They use it to make jewelry. Unfortunately, the students never seem to bring the finished product back to the store to show what they did with it. Too bad!

Oh, yeah, this is interesting. A fellow was there looking through quarters or something. Searching cans of junque coins mainly because it's hot outside. He has a vial of water, dirt and gold colored flecks. I point at it and say "gold?" He does not know. He asks if I know much about gold mining; I say I don't do any mining myself, but what is his question, perhaps I can help? Long story short, he asks whether I know if that stuff in his vial is gold or 'fools gold'. He finds lots of it in the river near the sierra. I am looking at a jar full of mica. It's not gold. What to say. "It looks like it probably mica. The gold I have seen comes in very small grains and not in large flat flakes like that". I think I suggested he might try melting it with a propane torch. Mica would simply disintegrate in the heat.

The person running the store today was the son of the owner. All part of the Falcone family I believe. Although I have met Mr Falcone senior only once, his son looked so much like him, it was uncanny! Very cool store and I will haunt it more!

Comments

• Options
    When will you finally pick up a gold panda?!?!?!
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    You can never go wrong with gold. Does the 1929 Vatican gold have Pope Pius XI? I have a 1929 Goetz gold medal with Pope Pius XI on the obverse and St Peter holding his keys and sitting on the world on the reverse.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the vatican gold is one of these:

Example

Since the young man running the store did not know me, I am waiting for a check to clear. No problem. Gold in the pipeline is good. I would like to post pictures now, however.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>When will you finally pick up a gold panda?!?!?! >>

Today. I did not want to jinx it until it was for sure...

PCGS MS-69

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    I have one of Pius XI's 100 lira as well, but graded. The series is very nice!

Congrats on the pickups; can't wait to see pictures. image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Doctor Doctor give me the news .......

Adam has gold fever image

• Options
    I looked and looked and looked and finally found what I believe is the third coin I got. A 1967 Chilean 50 peso (cinco condores) piece. Not entirely sure; it looked like a slightly large 'half eagle'. It was raw and appeared to be in very good (MS) condition.

Link