Home Precious Metals
Options

Is this forum already petering out?

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of these threads are a day old.

Is it Olympic burnout?

Are you tuned into the DNC?

Were the "other" forum members were right?

Ren

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Some of these threads are a day old.

Is it Olympic burnout?

Are you tuned into the DNC?

Were the "other" forum members were right?

Ren >>

Well, we are probably smaller in number, though not in heart.

Nope, turned off to the DNC. Watched a DVD movie tonight.

You got a link to the thread regarding the "other" forum members?

I'm guessing at least a few of them are friends of mine, unless it was just a very small few.

What is their problem? We were part of the longest and largest thread in history on this site.

So much so that we basically created our own forum, one it's much easier to feel comfortable in.

I rarely visit the coin dealers forum anymore.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    We are all waiting for the big turnaround in PMs. All the pm threads take a break when we are taking a beating....things will liven up
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We are all waiting for the big turnaround in PMs. All the pm threads take a break when we are taking a beating....things will liven up >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It would have been nice if they had posted a link in the coin forum when they moved all the threads. Where's the Platinum coin threads here or still where they were?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They only moved a portion of the threads involving precious metals, because the bullion coins were still deemed to be coins more than they were deemed to be precious metals.

In my opinion, separating bullion coins from precious metals only served to split those who post to both, which detracts from both.

Sometimes I wonder whether the collapse of something as important as Freddie and Fannie will ever register with the public at large.

The priorities that the media and government promote really do tend to dumb down the public. It's a travesty. I suspect that this forum will pick up steam when the economic issues start hitting the fan with more regularity.

The media can't cover real issues while there's an Olympics going on, or an election campaign. It's just too "boring" in comparison - and it's such a downer to suggest that we might have to cut back on our lifestyles.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Looks like a lot of the "discussion" was from folks that don't own any bullion items, have no interest in buying any, but liked to talk. Few of those will take the time to read a separate forum. Without those folks to act as gadflies to rile up the crowd, there is a lot less heat. Having a separate forum also lessens traffic from newbies, who often ask the most questions.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We are all waiting for the big turnaround in PMs. All the pm threads take a break when we are taking a beating....things will liven up >>

image >>

it's a slow week for stocks and the like.....
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I may not be saying much here because I've been busy as of late, but rest assured I enjoy this forum and read it daily image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Naa...end of summer..Labor Day..
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    It's not petering out.

The PM markets have just not been saying much to longs/shorts
    in the past few days.

STRONG movement in any direction will further spur discussion.

For me to SHORT more SLV/GLD, I want to see:

Gold above $860+.

Silver above $14.25+.

But, when silver breaks $10, I will pile on SLV with the SHORTS for a fast trade into panic selling.

Watch for lower-highs and lower-lows; those are the best signals of weakness.
    If you wait for unusual volume to make a move, you will have missed the trade.

"Does this item look strong or weak?" That is really the best question to ask and answer,
    when you are getting ready to act.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    They only moved a portion of the threads involving precious metals, because the bullion coins were still deemed to be coins more than they were deemed to be precious metals.

IMO the bullion "coins" that are distributed thru the Mint's dealers as just bullion. The stuff sold individually by the Mint as collectables belong on the coin forum. But if the PM price surpasses the nusmismatic value, to which forum would these then belong? Also where do late date BU silver $.10 - $.50 rolls where the prices follow the Ag spot belong? Where does generic US & darkside gold belong? What about "Junk" silver?

I guess that the waters can get kind'a murky and there could be alot of crossover between forums.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

"Is this forum already petering out?"

I hope not! I like it here!
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Is this forum already petering out?"

I donno, this group seems more cordial and better informed. Metal is just quiet right now so I would suspect most folk are spending their metal time gathering nuts for the storm rather than spewing electrons. Reality is that no one knows what's going on beyond the constant tom-tom or harrowing financial news; we know our metal is good, we know physical and spot are not together on this, we know that oil and gold have been riding on the same train and both are rising gently, we know that something is going to happen, and we know we are as ready as we can be. It seems that the only thing left is to wait for the storm. While we wait, we can share our gleanings from the news services, prepare our prognostications for each other to consider, and maybe talk about our strategies and of course go gather more nuts.

The other forum is much more active, postings are minutes apart as opposed to hours apart here sometimes. But, looking at the topics for the other forum, I just don't see a lot that interests me but since my coin interests mostly hinge around pre '33 US gold coin, there's just not much traffic there that catches my eye. Now if you want to talk about metal all you have to do is come here. So, interests in metal and pre '33 gold kind of leaves me out of the other forum mainstream. Then of course, you have to consider that chasing classic gold coin isn't talked about openly that much because the hunters certainly don't want to share their prey nor their hunting grounds so without prize in hand, there's not much anyone really wants to talk about.

So, this forum petering out...nah. Is it slower...yeah but there is a lot less BS. Is it better than before...certainly seems to be but time till tell.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    No surprise. It's the only expected outcome of fragmenting/disintegrating the coin forum.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No surprise. It's the only expected outcome of fragmenting/disintegrating the coin forum. >>

I hope not.

The continuation of conquer and divide does slow down the fragmented forums.

I just hope they don't split this one into "Precious Metals-Long" and "Precious Metals-Short."image

Ren
  • Options

<< <i>"Is this forum already petering out?"

I donno, this group seems more cordial and better informed. Metal is just quiet right now so I would suspect most folk are spending their metal time gathering nuts for the storm rather than spewing electrons. Reality is that no one knows what's going on beyond the constant tom-tom or harrowing financial news; we know our metal is good, we know physical and spot are not together on this, we know that oil and gold have been riding on the same train and both are rising gently, we know that something is going to happen, and we know we are as ready as we can be. It seems that the only thing left is to wait for the storm. While we wait, we can share our gleanings from the news services, prepare our prognostications for each other to consider, and maybe talk about our strategies and of course go gather more nuts.

The other forum is much more active, postings are minutes apart as opposed to hours apart here sometimes. But, looking at the topics for the other forum, I just don't see a lot that interests me but since my coin interests mostly hinge around pre '33 US gold coin, there's just not much traffic there that catches my eye. Now if you want to talk about metal all you have to do is come here. So, interests in metal and pre '33 gold kind of leaves me out of the other forum mainstream. Then of course, you have to consider that chasing classic gold coin isn't talked about openly that much because the hunters certainly don't want to share their prey nor their hunting grounds so without prize in hand, there's not much anyone really wants to talk about.

So, this forum petering out...nah. Is it slower...yeah but there is a lot less BS. Is it better than before...certainly seems to be but time till tell. >>

I agree. This thread has always had a more deliberate pace, but I've found it's contributors to be much more civil than those in other threads.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    DNC? Is that where the Bullchitters talk to each other?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about as Dead as the PM market ( for the exception of Rhodium ... back up over $6k )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."