Home Metal Detecting
Options

I got to go out for a while today....It's been

so darn hot and humid, but after the hurricane blew through here the ground is so damp, I figured I'd give it a shot...

Here is the first place.....A bunch of old houses were here, all built in the 30's to 40'..now all gone..lot's of trash and absolutely maddening to hunt..

Ahh the first coin...a wheat cent...1954

After a ton of trash...another wheatie..1953

Then a pleaseant surprise..a 1937-S Merc....Good shape the soil is great here..

Then another wheatie..1936

Then..more finds...but my cameras batts are dead.....I really respect LM for being able to document these things in the field..it is
way too much trouble...

When I get my batts charged I'll post the rest...a silver quarter was found too!

Comments

• Options
    Nice place to hunt ;-)

What camera do you use?

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Steve, Ty and I also went out on Sunday. I haven't writtent that outing up yet.

Suffice it to say, you did better than the two of us combined, but we're used to that. image

I did manage to take some interesting pics, despite my own dead camera battery (thank goodness for a backup- they seem to drain themselves when left in the camera).

Looks sorta like one of the places we went. On Gascoigne, behind the medical clinic, they have cleared an area and we came upon an obvious old house site that had been there in the bamboo. It was early to mid 20th century, though, probably of the same vintage as the site you just mentioned, and similarly trashy- lots of old rusted out tin or steel cans. I actually retreated from the house site and stepped over to where it was a little more barren, so I could concentrate better and hunt in an area that had been root-raked. Hacking roots to retrieve trash targets in an area where you can barely separate out all the signals is NOT my idea of fun.

As you have proven time and again, though (this time being no exception), some patience on such sites pays off. You're a better hunter than I am when it comes to that, and always have been.

I got a badly sunburned neck and skeeter-bit arms for my pitiful finds on Sunday. How 'bout you? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sounds like a successful outing to me.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the props LM, You know, I dig a lot of holes...but I guess it pays off in the end...Even though, when I get home, my a** is beat.image

When I get home I'll post the rest of the pics....By then the batteries will be charged....This is a great area to hunt..a LOT places that are untouched...Some of the houses do date back to 1917...so I do think it's rich in finds.....The drawback is the amount of trash.....image
  • Options
    Jerry....I use a Sony H2 that I got off ebay...Shoots good pics for the most part, has a good macro and is pretty automatic.

Linky to camera
  • Options
    Dang youngsters---------------image

Wish I had the get up and go to give it a try.........good photos Steve
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds Millenium.... as usual... thanks for sharing.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Jerry....I use a Sony H2 that I got off ebay...Shoots good pics for the most part, has a good macro and is pretty automatic. Linky to camera >>

Yes, it takes good photos.

The Casio Exilim 6 MP that I found takes good photos...BUT my old Sony Mavica takes better close up photos.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    glad to see ya back at it...love them mercs...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage