Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Paying $100 for 1986 Baseball Star Buttons #14 Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd.

As the title says, I'm paying $100 for 1986 Baseball Star Buttons #14 Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd.

The buttons were not actually numbered. Beckett assigned them numbers for checklist purpose by alphabetical order.

They came in packages like this one:

I am 99.99% sure that the Oil Can Boyd button does not exist but hopefully a $100 bounty will get people to check their junk boxes for me.
imageRIP

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Please post a scan of the buttons out of the package. It is easier to look for it if I know what I'm looking for.
    I may have some buttons, but I don't know if they are the same ones.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Can't seem to find a pic via eBay, Yahoo, Google or Beckett.

They are a pin or button. They feature a bust shot of the player. There is no border like the later years from this series. The players' name is in small black or white letters at about 7-8 o'clock.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Couldn't find 86, but I have 1989 buttons that came in the package shown. Can't find them in the Standard Catalog either.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    Here is a link to Packaday which has some info. Not sure what year these are from but the package is yellow instead of blue. I think I have blue packages which were 1989.

Linkypoo
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    Hmmm, hotmush, that's an interesting link.

The yellow and black packages were from 1990 yet the buttons he pulled are clearly from 1986 and so is the checklist. In fact, he specifically mentions Boyd being on the list. 1986 was the only set that Boyd (supposedly) was in.

Very odd. I 'spose it's possible that there were different packaging combinations but I have never seen that before.

So, using the pics from that link, to answer the question has to what they look like...

image<- ->image
    imageRIP
  • Options
    ttt
    imageRIP
  • Options
    bump
    imageRIP
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I just checked - no boyd ...did sell a big box of them on ebay about 5 years ago though...someone out there has one...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>I just checked - no boyd ...did sell a big box of them on ebay about 5 years ago though...someone out there has one... >>

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate it.
    imageRIP
  • Options

Check out the embroidered jacket... PIMP!

TTT
    imageRIP
  • Options
    ttt
    imageRIP
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I remember you from the old Beckett site. I thought you had 100%ed your OCB collection. Good luck with pinning this one down. I for one hope it exists. I'd rather snare that elusive card/item than find out it never existed in the first place.
  • Options
    ttt
    imageRIP
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    are you sure that is the package the 86s came in?

is it a needle pin on the back- we used to put them on our little league hats

I am almost certain the Oil Can Boyd exists from the 86 set because I remember it as a kid.

are the buttons have a round picture of player and name above the player and the border is different colors for different teams??

is Doc Gooden in the set?

I am almost sure it exists because I am pretty darn sure I had one as a kid.

dont have them anymore but loved those buttons
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

<< <i>are you sure that is the package the 86s came in?

is it a needle pin on the back- we used to put them on our little league hats

I am almost certain the Oil Can Boyd exists from the 86 set because I remember it as a kid.

are the buttons have a round picture of player and name above the player and the border is different colors for different teams??

is Doc Gooden in the set?

I am almost sure it exists because I am pretty darn sure I had one as a kid.

dont have them anymore but loved those buttons >>

You are thinking of the design of the later years. This is what the '86 looks like:
    imageRIP
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    ttt
    imageRIP
  • Options
    ttt
    imageRIP
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    It took a fews years, but found a box of these...

not sure about the whole 1986 / 1990 year though...

if you are still around, PM me...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I think he's in hiding after stealing his half of our trade