Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jim Rice Rookie Card Shenanigans

Man I just got blown out of the water on a Jim Rice PSA 8 1975 rookie card.
$82.22 for a PSA 8????????? I guess someone has some inside info
that Rice is going to make the Hall of Fame. The last PSA 8 sold for
$39.99!!!! I wish I was the seller on this-------nice profit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290253798258&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=019#ebayphotohosting

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about how I feel - I was the one who bid $81.22 and didn't win. That was a beauty of a card though. Best looking 8 in the last 6 months. Nice Rice
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    From that tiny scan/picture it is hard to tell anything about the card except for the centering. It is an 8 for some reason, maybe the corners are not quite as nice as you think?BTW, posting a pic is easy and makes it easier for everyone!
  • Options
    Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the walls and the mozzarella sticks??
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    Sorry to see you lose Mike. Were you going to crack it and try for a PSA 9?
  • Options
    Tom, I've been on the lookout for a dead centered Rice without the PD by his name for a while now. Thought that bid would top all - somebody else must have been looking for the same thing. Top right has some wear - probably a straight 8 is the right grade.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    The guy that just beat you on the Jim Rice card just beat me out at the last second for a 1976 Eckersley PSA 8.
    So in one night he bested me on the Rice card and the Eck card.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Were you guys specifically looking for a PSA 8? Because here is a 1975 Topps Jim Rice PSA 9.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Sweet card Jack. I need only a nice 8 - the last card I need for a nice NM/MT(+) set. Been pretty picky on the cards for this set as I plan to keep it. That 9 is gorgeous though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    The PSA 8 actually has better centering and for the $$$$$$ discrepancy, i'd snap it up in a heartbeat (if i was interested)
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The PSA 8 actually has better centering and for the $$$$$$ discrepancy, i'd snap it up in a heartbeat (if i was interested) >>

I agree. Much better centering.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?? >>

A close second to The Big Lebowski as funniest movie of the last decade.
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    Not trying to hijack your post, but it's not very often that Jim Rice is discussed around here. I've had these cleats for years, but the auto's on them have almost faded away, so I would like to have him re-sign them. Any ideas on how to get them to him? I think he has an office at Fenway park??? Should I just send them there with his attention on the package? No... I am not going to take them to Play It Again Sports instead!!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to hijack your post, but it's not very often that Jim Rice is discussed around here. I've had these cleats for years, but the auto's on them have almost faded away, so I would like to have him re-sign them. Any ideas on how to get them to him? I think he has an office at Fenway park??? Should I just send them there with his attention on the package? No... I am not going to take them to Play It Again Sports instead!!

>>

Without prior permission, I'd doubt that I'd send them blindly to Fenway. I'd keep my eyes open on the Signings Hotline website for a public signing appearance and either take them there or mail to the promoter (I know MAB had him late last year in north Jersey). As an aside, I'd get him to sign elsewehere (pehaps on the side near the heel and not on the bottom). Since he appears to be heading to the HOF in '09, I'd try to catch him before that (signing price will surely rise). Good Luck!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The last few Rice RC PSA 8's have all sold around $70 (I was lucky enough to sell one of them)....seems like there is definite momentum heading into the HOF voting.
  • Options
    Dmitri Young's buyer has been picking up Rice rookies in PSA 9 lately. The price for 9s has skyrocketed from about $300 to $800-$900 as a result, so it doesn't surprise me that high end 8s are fetching a premium now. If you can get an 8 for $80, spend another $10 to crack and resubmit and then have a shot at $800 it seems like a good deal.

I'm still not convinced that this is his year to get into the Hall of Fame, but the money in the hobby seems to be betting otherwise.

• Options
    Rice RC, Carter RC both have given me fits with pricing. I hope Rice finally gets in and I can find a reasonable 9.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?? >>

A close second to The Big Lebowski as funniest movie of the last decade. >>

I agree, but throw in Idiocracy as well.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still not convinced that this is his year to get into the Hall of Fame, but the money in the hobby seems to be betting otherwise. >>

This is his last year of (modern) eligibility and he fell just a few votes short last year. Trust me, he'll get in. It's a given.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I guess someone has some inside info that Rice is going to make the Hall of Fame >>

Not exactly inside information. The Hall-of-Fame itself has very little bearing on card value. I guess PSA 9 and 10 rookies are the one exception. I'm happy enough with EX second year cards for under $5.00
    Tom
  • Options
    Finally got one that I could live with ... linky

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Great centering on that one Mike!! Congrats. i need one too, but I refuse to pay a ton of cash for a 9. I may just settle for a nice 8 if it looks as good as that one.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice Rice, it was a roll of the dice and elephants really are afraid of mice
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Was going to stick with this one that could be an 8 (I've seen much worse).... anyway, glad to upgrade.

Mike
    Bosox1976