Home Precious Metals

Gold Silver ratio

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
What should the ration be for gold and silver ? image
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• At the current gold price, my preference would be 1:1.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normal more recently was 50:1, but lately with the prices out of whack it has been more like 60:1. In an ideal world, and up until 1972 as previously noted it was 16:1.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Yep, about 16.1 . People often make the mistake of thinking $ 50 oz silver would mean
    we would also see $ 20 gal gas , $ 10 loaf of bread etc, but I don't see it that way.
    What I see is a solid precious metal that is undervalued , and held artificially low.
    Too many "investors" are shorting silver , and they need it to go down.
    However, common sense tells us to always go long on silver, never short.
    Afterall, we want the price of silver to go up, not down .We don't want any part
    of speculation on it going down, or helping the price go down with big selloffs.
    And we don't want to cash in on it going down . That's a crooks way of making money,
    at other peoples expense.
    Remember, driving the price down over and over to protect your shorts is
    not what we want. We want silver to do what silver can do, and that is
    go up a little at a time, month after month, year after year.
    That's how you build your fortune/ empire the correct and legal way.
    Not by market manipulation.
    Just my opinions.

Lewis
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd forget about the historical ratio of 16:1 for awhile.

The last ten years, I believe it's been trading between 35:1 to 65:1.

I think an average for the last ten years would be 50:1.

A ratio this high definitely means more profit potential buying silver instead of gold.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

• << <i>Yep, about 16.1 . People often make the mistake of thinking $ 50 oz silver would mean
    we would also see $ 20 gal gas , $ 10 loaf of bread etc, but I don't see it that way.
    What I see is a solid precious metal that is undervalued , and held artificially low.
    Too many "investors" are shorting silver , and they need it to go down.
    However, common sense tells us to always go long on silver, never short.
    Afterall, we want the price of silver to go up, not down .We don't want any part
    of speculation on it going down, or helping the price go down with big selloffs.
    And we don't want to cash in on it going down . That's a crooks way of making money,
    at other peoples expense.
    Remember, driving the price down over and over to protect your shorts is
    not what we want. We want silver to do what silver can do, and that is
    go up a little at a time, month after month, year after year.
    That's how you build your fortune/ empire the correct and legal way.
    Not by market manipulation.
    Just my opinions.

Lewis >>

• 16 to 1 has not existed in the free market for well over 100 years. It has been a greater number other than for very brief periods about 1920 and 1980. It existed as a legal fiction 1878-1934 when gold was revalued, but the silver in silver coins was worth much less than face.