Home Precious Metals

anyone score olympic silver for a good price yet?

fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
I know there are scam artist chinese accounts on ebay selling this
stuff but i look forward to buying it for near melt some day! ;-)

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know there are scam artist chinese accounts on ebay selling this
    stuff but i look forward to buying it for near melt some day! ;-)

image >>

I believe Panpa America, had a bunch with them at the Baltimore ANA .... good luck in getting them at near melt ... I don't think that's ever going to happen.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    personally i think it will take a long time.. years for these to drop
    down to half their selling price... but eventually they will.

it is dealers that own B&Ms that will probably get the chance for
    a nice rip!
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I'll be leaving for China next week, there for about 3 weeks. I'll keep my eyes out for any post-hype bargains. I'm kinda thinking there's a small chance some of the more local dealers might be willing to move them for less than the 3x spot they normally sell these for (at minimum!).

Kinda worried about counterfeits, though...not much of an idea how to distinguish, but we'll see what I come up with.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
    i was thinking of getting my gf an example as she was really into
    the olympics while i was not.

if you can score one/set i would gladly pay 3 times melt.

• << <i>I'll be leaving for China next week, there for about 3 weeks. I'll keep my eyes out for any post-hype bargains. I'm kinda thinking there's a small chance some of the more local dealers might be willing to move them for less than the 3x spot they normally sell these for (at minimum!).

Kinda worried about counterfeits, though...not much of an idea how to distinguish, but we'll see what I come up with. >>

There is a chemical that comes in a small bottle, not sure of the name right now, but I will find out. You simply apply one drop and the color will give you the purity.

It's certainly paid for itself thousands of times over for me. Twice I've discovered fake or less than .999 in both Chinese and Japanese "bullion".
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll be leaving for China next week, there for about 3 weeks. I'll keep my eyes out for any post-hype bargains. I'm kinda thinking there's a small chance some of the more local dealers might be willing to move them for less than the 3x spot they normally sell these for (at minimum!).

Kinda worried about counterfeits, though...not much of an idea how to distinguish, but we'll see what I come up with. >>

There is a chemical that comes in a small bottle, not sure of the name right now, but I will find out. You simply apply one drop and the color will give you the purity.

It's certainly paid for itself thousands of times over for me. Twice I've discovered fake or less than .999 in both Chinese and Japanese "bullion". >>

You need to cut the coin with a file before applying the chemical in case the coin is silver plated. Nitric acid is used to test gold. Not sure what they use to test silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check around this weekend and see if I can find the silver test chemical, and take some with me.

FC, what are the going rates now? Sorry, I'm too frickin' busy (or lazy!) to go to the 'Bay and see...I thought 3x to 5x was about right.

• << <i>Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check around this weekend and see if I can find the silver test chemical, and take some with me.

FC, what are the going rates now? Sorry, I'm too frickin' busy (or lazy!) to go to the 'Bay and see...I thought 3x to 5x was about right. >>

With 90% coins, the going rate is around 9X at B&M shops, I never trust the Bay very much.

I was talking about silver bullion with regards to the chemical test, though I've seen it work perfectly on US 90% coinage. Wouldn't trust foreign stuff, though.

I'll get the name of the chemical for you today, as soon as my favorite B&M shop opens in an hour or so.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

• << <i>i was thinking of getting my gf an example as she was really into
    the olympics while i was not.

if you can score one/set i would gladly pay 3 times melt. >>

You might consider a vintage coin. There are lots and lots of them, and some trade right at melt (eg: 1968 Mexico City, 1976 Montreal, 1984 Los Angeles). The Beijing games will be old news by the time you get a coin shipped to you. Was she born in an Olympic year? Did they have an Olympics in her home country of origin? Either might be a better gift than a Chinese coin that trades for so much over melt.

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check around this weekend and see if I can find the silver test chemical, and take some with me.

FC, what are the going rates now? Sorry, I'm too frickin' busy (or lazy!) to go to the 'Bay and see...I thought 3x to 5x was about right. >>

With 90% coins, the going rate is around 9X at B&M shops, I never trust the Bay very much.

I was talking about silver bullion with regards to the chemical test, though I've seen it work perfectly on US 90% coinage. Wouldn't trust foreign stuff, though.

I'll get the name of the chemical for you today, as soon as my favorite B&M shop opens in an hour or so. >>

The chemical is called Nitric-Hydro Cloride, my understanding is that is dificult to find.

I had a 2 oz. bottle years ago, but went through it and never replaced it.

You might try an internet search for someone selling it.

Good luck.

<< <i>Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check around this weekend and see if I can find the silver test chemical, and take some with me.

Know the the original selling price was laughable. Insanely expensive.
    Of course that is the point... tourists are insanely rich ;-)

I imagine after the olympic tourists go home the prices will tumble.
    I am seeing on ebay prices ranging from 1.5 melt to 5 time melt depending
    on the seller and how trustworthy they look.

If i was in china i would be looking to pay no more then 1-2 times melt.
    After all, that is all they are worth.

Anything more and i would balk. Especially as time goes by and extra sets are sitting
    around with no one wanting them.

I am very curious how things go for you. Get some prices!
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    They should pay you to take such junk off their hands and away from sight! Ugh....

<< <i>They should pay you to take such junk off their hands and away from sight! Ugh.... >>

that is my hope exactly. ;-)

i would pay melt for these things. give my girlfriend the pick of the
    one she likes for bonus karma points and chuck the rest into the
    silver pile. kill two birds with one stone.
    Hi, Deadhorse...thanks for the info. Just checked Google and got about 14 hits, most of which were patent application notices...looks like it might be a bit hard to come by.

FC, I'll be sure to report from China...going to Suzhou via Shanghai and Hong Kong, so should have an opportunity to find some. And I'll stick to my guns for the 1x to 2x melt (or spot, I guess, to be fair).

Might be an interesting time to be over there...I'll get a firsthand on how they restart the country now the Olympics are finished (by Sunday). I'd love to see panic selling of anything Olympics, might be worth something in a few years.