Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If a member of the Bust Half Nut Club sold his or her busties...

jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
...or enough of them that the collection fell short of the minimum 100 varieties, would the membership be revoked? Would the answer change if the collector still planned to acquire more in the future?

Comments

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    In the past if a members collection fell below 100 die marriages the member would resign from the club. However that has changed over the years. Once you become a member, as long as your dues and census are kept current you can remain in the club.

Many of the members have recently sold their collections due to the higher prices that Bust Halves are commanding. This does not mean that they are totally done with collecting or are no longer interested in Bust Halves. In fact several members sold off their Capped bust Halves (1807-1836) and then began a collection of Draped Bust coins (1796-1807). Others have traded down to collecting VF-XF instead of AU-MS.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Thanks, QN. I have not sought membership to BHNC and it is a regret. I am in the process of attributing my CBH's now so perhaps I can qualify before I sell.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you must have a group jdillane.............

You have been my worst overbidder on the bay.

Stole many I was wanting, so when it comes time to sell keep BST in mind.

or keep them and join the group
  • Options

<< <i>you must have a group jdillane.............

You have been my worst overbidder on the bay.

Stole many I was wanting, so when it comes time to sell keep BST in mind.

or keep them and join the group >>

I did some heavy trolling there, for awhile.

I know all to well the feeling of being outbid on something I particularly wanted. Sometimes, its a blessing!

Edited to add: Come to think of it, you are probably my worst underbidder!! I wonder how much I might have saved if you were instead a "modern" collector!!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Bust Half Nut Club has recently allowed some few members to sell off most of their collections, then still allow the member to continue with membership. I am also confident that the members will only allow this to happen IF they are convinced the member has the best interest of the Nut club in mind. Membership in the Bust Half Nut Club is meant to be a lifetime endeavor. Anyone that only wants to become a member, then lose interest, or only want access to inside club information, is not wanted for membership.

The defining requirement for membership in the Bust Half Nut Club, is that the member is "overwhelming nuts" about collecting Bust Half Dollars by Overton marriage. Owning at least one hundred different marriages is only a secondary requirement. Entrance to the Nut club is only by member sponsorship. Any one member can object to an individual's application. If one member objects to an individual's membership, it is doubtful the applicant will ever be accepted for membership. It would be a hard process for someone not truly dedicated to the best interests of the Nut club.

Anyone wanting further clarification, please PM me.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now Archie
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    If membership were defined by100 different third-party-authenticated coins currently registered to the owner/member, then the club membership would be a lot more transparent.

How is someone like me going to join in Hawaii, where I can only assume there isn't another bust nut for thousands of miles. Some coconuts, but not much in the way of bust nuts.

At the recent show here, some mainland dealers came out, but as I understand it, even they can't serve to authenticate my collection because the dealers cannot be members.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that the Bust Half Nut Club has recently allowed some few members to sell off most of their collections, then still allow the member to continue with membership. I am also confident that the members will only allow this to happen IF they are convinced the member has the best interest of the Nut club in mind. Membership in the Bust Half Nut Club is meant to be a lifetime endeavor. Anyone that only wants to become a member, then lose interest, or only want access to inside club information, is not wanted for membership.

The defining requirement for membership in the Bust Half Nut Club, is that the member is "overwhelming nuts" about collecting Bust Half Dollars by Overton marriage. Owning at least one hundred different marriages is only a secondary requirement. Entrance to the Nut club is only by member sponsorship. Any one member can object to an individual's application. If one member objects to an individual's membership, it is doubtful the applicant will ever be accepted for membership. It would be a hard process for someone not truly dedicated to the best interests of the Nut club.

Anyone wanting further clarification, please PM me. >>

Mozin, I've considered membership for a while. I have the requisite attributed coins and a couple of ready sponsors, along with the appropriate sickness. But I'm not sure how often I can attend club events and I'm wondering about benefits.

What, in your opinion, are the advantages to joining?
    Lance.
  • Options
    Benefits of joining the Bust Half Nut Club include:

1. Access to the Nut Club Census

2. Membership into the Nut Club Forum

3. Meeting and socializing with Nut Club members at the Annual ANA Summer Coin Show, and the FUN show

4. Access to Nut Club member only information

That aught to be enough reasons to join. The Nut Club has members that are the very best with knowledge of the Capped Bust Half Dollar series.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... then the club membership would be a lot more transparent. >>

Please describe how membership is not transparent.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Prospective members are not made privy to who the other members are, or what coins qualify them to join and retain membership. I understand the members don't want to disclose that, but that is what is sought of new members, based upon personal inspection of the prospective new members' collections.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options

<< <i>Prospective members are not made privy to who the other members are, or what coins qualify them to join and retain membership. I understand the members don't want to disclose that, but that is what is sought of new members, based upon personal inspection of the prospective new members' collections. >>

You are partially correct and partially incorrect. I am not quite sure "what is sought of by new members" means.

Membership is not made public for reasons of security. Even with that, notices of club meetings at shows are made public (although I am unsure if all of the meeting is only open to members). BNHC members are not shy and will gladly talk to people about Bust halves. Go to a show and hang around a dealer with a lot of Bust halves and you probably can spot the nuts (er ... so to speak).

Qualification for membership is public information. There are three requirements. First, a potential member must have at least 100 different die marriages of Bust half dollars (excluding reeded edge 1836-1838). Verification of the die marriages must be done by a club member. The reason for the club member verification as opposed to a TPG registry is that, well quite frankly, TPGs get attributions wrong more often that do seasoned club members. The inspection also allows for the potential member to share his/her enthusiasm for Bust halves and talk about their collection, interests, how they got started, etc ... Yep ... it's an interview. That brings up the second requirement, a potential member must have the "fever" as it is known in the club. No fever, no membership. The third requirement, is that a member must sponsor you. Generally that is the member who reviews your die marriages and "interviews" you. Unfair? Tough crap, it's our club.

[That being said ... if you have 100 different die marriages in your collection and are not excited about collecting Bust halves ... then you need some serious counseling. image ]

Dealers can be and are members. They just have to meet the same requirements. The "twist" with dealers is that their inventory does not count. The die marriages are based on their collection. That ruffles the feathers of some dealers as they are not collectors of the series. Unfair? Tough crap, it's our club.

"How is someone like me going to join in Hawaii, where I can only assume there isn't another bust nut for thousands of miles."

Rather than assuming it's not possible, did you ask a BHNC member if there was a fellow member in Hawaii who would be willing to meet with you? Did you ask if there were any BHNC members who may be visiting Hawaii? From what I hear you get the occasional tourist to the islands. image Actually we are a rather accommodating group of people and are always on the lookout for others with the fever.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, QN. I have not sought membership to BHNC and it is a regret. I am in the process of attributing my CBH's now so perhaps I can qualify before I sell. >>

Not to sound rude, but your membership would not be supported. You want to join and then sell? Sounds like your fever has broke.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks, QN. I have not sought membership to BHNC and it is a regret. I am in the process of attributing my CBH's now so perhaps I can qualify before I sell. >>

Not to sound rude, but your membership would not be supported. You want to join and then sell? Sounds like your fever has broke. >>

Sorry, but I agree with astrorat. The people that are in the Nut Club for years that sell off their collections are well established in the club. Their fever continues, and that is why they are allowed to remain in the club. Most Nuts that sell off their collections are up in age, but still want to mix with the other members. They feel better selling off their collection themselves, rather than leave their collection to be sold after their death.
  • Options
    When I initially posed the question, I probably should have added that the notion of selling was neither my preference nor my choice. Now that my divorce is imminent, liquidation appears inevitable. Still not my preference but too much $$ is tied up in the busties not to let em go.
  • Options

<< <i>When I initially posed the question, I probably should have added that the notion of selling was neither my preference nor my choice. Now that my divorce is imminent, liquidation appears inevitable. Still not my preference but too much $$ is tied up in the busties not to let em go. >>

Well that's a different story and I am very sorry to hear about the situation. Frankly, I am not sure how the club would handle that type of mitigating circumstance. I think that you would be encouraged to wait until you are back up to 100 DMs again.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>When I initially posed the question, I probably should have added that the notion of selling was neither my preference nor my choice. Now that my divorce is imminent, liquidation appears inevitable. Still not my preference but too much $$ is tied up in the busties not to let em go. >>

Sorry about your upcoming divorce. I hope you can at least manage to save your very best Busties, but most attorneys want to see the prices realized, so there is no question about the current worth of the coins in collections.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming it's not privileged information, I'm curious how many members the club currently has?

TIA, CJ
  • Options

This is a bump of a very old post. I was going through some of my bust halves that have been set aside for a while, and realized I bought quite a lot over the years from Lloyd Williams, who passed away in 2016. If memory serves, he had something like the 7th most complete set at one time. Anyhow, way back when, I had an interest in joining the BHNC with something like 150 unique die-marriages, although since that time, I've sold most of them. (The particular Ex-Lloyd Williams is only an 1835 O-106, a very common die-marriage but an unusually pretty AU coin.)

Now that I've been on hiatus from dealing and have begun to re-accumulate early half-dollars, I am considering rejoining. Has much changed in the last fifteen years?

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file