Home Precious Metals

If any one cares ... Rhodium

OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
has dropped to a 1 year low of $4,810 ...
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good time to stock up on rhodium eagles! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hmm...I wonder if anyone ever has asked: "I have too many Rhodium coins, should I get a larger safety deposit box, or two safety deposit boxes?"

Oops...wrong forum, sorry!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Wow!!! Down another $910!!! Could you imagine having 20 or 30 ozs? I'd be wetting myself...

The more important question: Does this have any correlation to what silver and gold might do?image
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it time to jump of the Commodities Trading floor? or is it time to take a chance & buy ( Not me though ). ...Rhodium in a free fall .. down to $3,900 ... it wasn't that long agon when it was up to 10K

• << <i>Is it time to jump of the Commodities Trading floor? or is it time to take a chance & buy ( Not me though ). ...Rhodium in a free fall .. down to $3,900 ... it wasn't that long agon when it was up to 10K >>

Would love to know more about what is driving the price fluctuations. Thinly traded market would account for wide swings in either direction, but I would hesitate to trade something without knowing why it is cheaper now.
    Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents

History of the US Constitution Coin Set
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Kitco's website

Description and Uses:

Rhodium is a silver-white metallic element, is highly resistant to corrosion, and is extremely reflective. It is used as a finish for jewelry, mirrors, and search lights. It is also used in electric connections and is alloyed with platinum for aircraft turbine engines. Another use is manufacturing of nitric acid and used in hydrogenation of organic compounds. Rhodium usage is dominated by autocatalyst applications where it is used together with platinum and palladium to control exhaust emissions

Major sources of supply

South Africa is the major source, accounting for almost 60% of the world's rhodium supply Russia is the second largest producer, although its sales are, as with the other PGMs, volatile and subject to political intervention.

• does anyone actually sell bars/ingots of rhodium or is it only for manufacturing
    ~William
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rhodium market is probably the least liquid of all PM markets.

Hence, it's common for very violent price swings.

Good luck if you want to buy or sell a 10 ounce bar of rhodium.

Can you even get a 10 ounce rhodium bar??

I think it shouldn't even be reported on Kitco. Makes no sense at all, because it doesn't apply to the average Joe.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)