Home Precious Metals

Has anyone noticed how boring it is at the "other" forum?

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
I guess this split up made me realize that I'm a modern PM junkie.

I do like it better when there is a "W" involved.

I confess:

I like APE, AGE, AGB, ASE and some of the new moderns coming out soon like the NASA project and the super-duper-ultra-high-relief Saint.

And it's good to find a new home.

Now if we could just get back the OF.

Renimage

Comments

• We like the esoteric part of the coin, what's behind the motivation of man to own coins and the metal they are made out of.

You can only talk VAMs so much ;>
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hehe...I think the thing I love about collecting ASE's is that I can make an argument to post about them in this forum or "the other" one.

Gotta love it!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The things I detest about the other forum is the thousand and one questions a few of the members ask. IMO the majority of which, are nothing but BS. I also dislike the way a few cliques have developed.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• "I guess this split up made me realize that I'm a modern PM junkie."

That and I buy a lot of pre-'65 US silver and pre-'33 US gold that fits the PM category. It is more bullion than anything else I guess.

I also collect Lincoln cents from the 1st era of '09 to '33 but I better NOT mention that here!

• Things have really changed! That's for sure, I like the change, it's makes finding certain conversations, alot quicker to find now
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Initially, it seemed suspect. Now, it seems good.
  • Coins..coins..coins...that's all they talk about...it puts me to sleep already....image
    ......Larry........image
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Man, I don't know, those '08, rev '07's are pretty exciting and then there's all the ebay stuff about getting ripped off. Throw in some "grade this nickel/dime", and a few question posts about when barbers will take off again and you got a real barn burner. Well, maybe my coin collecting interests have gone out of the mainstream but talking about PM always seems fashionable.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I felt that this forum was constituted in a "back of the bus" manner.

Now don't misunderstand my metaphor, but the other-forum-guys were so sick and whinny about PM threads and when this forum was created they were happy to separate us. I think they feel their collecting interests are more sophisticated than the PM contributors interests.

At any rate, it's one "change" I can tolerate.image

Now the question is: will we be reprimanded if we speak too much of classic esoteric coinage?

Ren
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    well now that adrian has come back and told his tall tales (lies)
    they will be happy for the day.

ah yes, dealers and half truths... and the collectors that eat it up.
    normal operating procedure. par for the course.

• << <i>well now that adrian has come back and told his tall tales (lies)
    they will be happy for the day.

ah yes, dealers and half truths... and the collectors that eat it up.
    normal operating procedure. par for the course. >>

What tall tales? image
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I wonder if we could mix some politics in with the PM threads...I'm sure the Fed has something to do with it...image..not allowed in coins though..could only talk about coins..and coins...!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if we could mix some politics in with the PM threads...I'm sure the Fed has something to do with it...image..not allowed in coins though..could only talk about coins..and coins...!!! >>

in some ways we are discussing economics ....and politics go hand in hand...it's the vote for xxxx or xxx has better ideas than xxxx or worse libel is banned.....i think.....

xxxx

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood what the problem was when alot of us get excited over big goings-on in the precious metals market. At least, it's real news and has real impact on our individual lives.

Yesterday, I opened a $250 face bag of silver dimes and separated out the Mercs and a few other items of interest, including some toners and oddball stuff. I put away the Roosies, but I'm sittin' here looking at stacks of Mercs, sorted by date & mintmark and I simply must say.........

There's not much that can beat a bunch of out silver coins all laid out, even if they are just bullion. It's almost as good as looking at Plats.image

Mercs have so much class. It's a shame that we can't have circulating silver coins with designs like that.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    jmski....careful what you wish for...Silver might get down enough to where IT'S the cheap metal the Mint will use in production...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!

<< <i>I never understood what the problem was when alot of us get excited over big goings-on in the precious metals market. At least, it's real news and has real impact on our individual lives.

Yesterday, I opened a $250 face bag of silver dimes and separated out the Mercs and a few other items of interest, including some toners and oddball stuff. I put away the Roosies, but I'm sittin' here looking at stacks of Mercs, sorted by date & mintmark and I simply must say.........

There's not much that can beat a bunch of out silver coins all laid out, even if they are just bullion. It's almost as good as looking at Plats.image

Mercs have so much class. It's a shame that we can't have circulating silver coins with designs like that. >>

Since we are regurgitating classic designs in a flat format, why not put "Mercury" back into the fray. What a wonderful design. I just fear some will freak out because of the fasces on the reverse, but then again isn't that where we are headed? Oooops, there I did it.

Ren
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Not really, it feels a lot more focused and the replies are a little less dazed. I kind of like having them split. Now on either side I can be thinking one topic and not get sidetracked when I see something else pop up.
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    Carol just PM'ed me back and said she doesn't see a PM only BST in our near future....image

I thought it would be nice having a seperate BST for silver and gold bullion only. I have missed a couple
    of nice deals because they were buried in threads dealing with coins I could not afford. Or had no interest in.

But she did end it with a " you never know". image
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.....Now on either side I can be thinking one topic and not get sidetracked when I see something else pop up. >>

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

I agree.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

<< <i> I also dislike the way a few cliques have developed. >>

and what makes you think they can't forum hop like I do?

This just occured to me; on the "other" forum someone would have to post a coin to justify the tripe.

So do we have to post some pic of gold bars, silver nuggets, catalytic converters here in PM land?

Just wanted to know.

Ren
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Every Forum ,will eventually develop a group of people

that will attempt to tell others what to think and how to think.

They will attempt to determine how a Forum should run and will

become self appointed judgmental critiques of everything. Personally

I ignore them and munch my jelly donuts.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>Every Forum ,will eventually develop a group of people

that will attempt to tell others what to think and how to think.

They will attempt to determine how a Forum should run and will

become self appointed judgmental critiques of everything. Personally

I ignore them and munch my jelly donuts.image >>

How true, Bear...

...and by the way...

...Make sure you only eat the jelly donuts...

...that are so stuffed with jelly...

...that the jelly gushes out the other end when you take a bite...

...any other type of jelly donut would not be fit and proper...

...it would probably bodybag and would certainly not qualify for a sticker...

...and anyway...why are we talking about jelly donuts on a PM forum???

Totally OT, dude...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    It's my belief that one or two hot headed dealers on the coin board felt their business threatened once the gold and silver markets began their recent retreats and wanted all discussions of the PM market halted so as not to draw attention to the sell off. I think a lot of dealers are stuck holding gobs of bullion and gobs of coins at higher prices and fear being unable to unload them.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I really dislike the two forums as opposed to one..... neither is exciting anymore. variety is what made it work.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really dislike the two forums as opposed to one..... neither is exciting anymore. variety is what made it work.

John >>

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I really dislike the two forums as opposed to one..... neither is exciting anymore. variety is what made it work.

John >>

image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• << <i>It's my belief that one or two hot headed dealers on the coin board felt their business threatened once the gold and silver markets began their recent retreats and wanted all discussions of the PM market halted so as not to draw attention to the sell off. I think a lot of dealers are stuck holding gobs of bullion and gobs of coins at higher prices and fear being unable to unload them. >>

I believe there is a whole lot of truth in the above....

for a week I have been hitting B&Ms within 50-100 mile radius looking for 10 and 100 oz silver bars......when I go in....I smile...greet the counter people....look around a bit and then ask if they have any 10 or 100 oz silver bars...and what is thier current sell price is?????...they look at me like I am there to rob them....

Had one tell me today...in a pleansant tone, that he pulled all twelve JM 10 ouncers he had since he had too much in them...and could not sell at these levels....I smiled and told him I understood...he was decent about it....but most had body language and voice tones as if I had a black hood on and was carrying a 9mm (it was in the car though)

Oh well...

RAH
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    To think that a pair of dealers forced PCGS to do this seems bizarre to me.

Metal prices caused this, and the natural reaction of folks was to post tons of 'silver is off of a cliff' or 'what do you think metal prices will do tomorrow' threads.

It was evident to me that during the price fluctutations, the number of these PM price threads increased about four-fold. Folks would start new threads needlessly. Threads about rare coins would get pushed off of the front page within minutes.

To call the other forum boring? That is your opinion. I find both forums more interesting now; the PMers are posting more in the PM forum. The coin folks see more of the information they want to see and less fluff. Folks that span both forums can do just that. To read a conspiracy into this...well, I totally understand that too, but I sure do not agree with it.

I actually think that both forums are more valuable now, split apart, than the two were when together. So there. Mr contrarian speaks.

• << <i>To think that a pair of dealers forced PCGS to do this seems bizarre to me.

Metal prices caused this, and the natural reaction of folks was to post tons of 'silver is off of a cliff' or 'what do you think metal prices will do tomorrow' threads.

It was evident to me that during the price fluctutations, the number of these PM price threads increased about four-fold. Folks would start new threads needlessly. Threads about rare coins would get pushed off of the front page within minutes.

To call the other forum boring? That is your opinion. I find both forums more interesting now; the PMers are posting more in the PM forum. The coin folks see more of the information they want to see and less fluff. Folks that span both forums can do just that. To read a conspiracy into this...well, I totally understand that too, but I sure do not agree with it.

I actually think that both forums are more valuable now, split apart, than the two were when together. So there. Mr contrarian speaks. >>

Hi Adam....I never said I found the US COIN FORUM boring....I like it there too...and spend more time there than here......The split to a PM Forum is ok with me....but I do think there is some basis that some dealers have put too much, into too much straight bullion...and the "gloom and doom" post of silver PM dropping to $5 or lower....bothered some.

Yes....too many repeat PM threads were posted during the spikes....both up and down...so 2 forums seem to be the best result.

All the best,
    RAH
    As far as the boring comment...that was for the OP and title of this thread. I think that the "other" forum referred to US Coins...

I totally agree that lots of dealers have a serious problem with the silver they hold right now. It was terribly evident at the Fremont Elks coin show last weekend! The folks that did have silver were not selling at 'current' spot prices; no way!

Collectors seem to be more okay with the issue, as they tend to be longer term holders.

Dealers on the other hand are long term holders of silver only because many of them feel like they are drowning under water and do not want to take a loss. Totally understandable.

In fact, I think the whole issue is interesting as it indicates that there is far from one market of silver; there are millions of little local markets.

I wonder what sort of burden this puts on the US Mint and their planchet suppliers?

• << <i>In fact, I think the whole issue is interesting as it indicates that there is far from one market of silver; there are millions of little local markets. >>

totally agree here.....one of the reasons I find it so interesting to see all the different directions the move in silver has propelled people.

All the best!

RAH
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I'm doubtful that pressure from one or two dealers may have resulted in the divison of the fourms. Considering the awareness levels of forum members the status of PMs is known by most if not all, really not much reduction of impact by putting PMs in its own forum.

If anything indicates PCGS has responded more to forum members than dealers per say is the return of first strike submissions for the common joe/jane. It would be in the best interest of those dealers ,those that do submit first strikes, to have exclusive submission ability therefore limiting the price and permitting a greater return due to supply and demand pressures. Hence if dealers have such great influence with PCGS I don't think we may have seen the return of First Strike submissions so quickly. No doubt a decrease in revenue for PCGS had much to play with this.

It is somewhat humorous to see the First Strike announcement being made over in the coin forum and not in the PMs forum. After all the large number of bullion coins that are submitted under this is a very significant amount of the volume of First Strike.

I actually think that both forums are more valuable now, split apart, than the two were when together. So there. Mr contrarian speaks. >>

Being the OP here I must confess that it was a dig to spark conversation. I think the two forums could exist together as they have but some just pushed for the split. I don't know the inner politics.

Did the PM threads get a bit ridiculous...yes! But posters were excited that the PM's had moved so much in the past few years. I liked the spice. It was humorous at times. Which is another thing that is slowly being killed at the "forums."

Ren
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a larger number of somewhat repetitive threads concerning precious metals from posters who didn't take the time to read the existing ones - so I understand the basic complaint.

But, it's also clear that there's a certain amount of disdain for pms and bullion coins, especially from a group that no doubt has a large vested interest in "classics".

That's truly a shame, because such divisions don't help the hobby - they only promote an us vs. them mentality. It doesn't help recruitment into the areas of numismatics that they claim to love so much when an effort is made to antagonize the very base of collectors who are most likely to filter into other areas.

So be it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    As far as Buffalos and AGEs go and the like.

I feel that the US Coin Forum is still fair game.

In my opinion, the US Coin Forum is for anything that PCGS will slab.

This forum is for talking about Precious Metals (and how they relate to coins).

So, I will continue to post 'bullion' questions, answers and pictures to the US Coin forum if it involves one of those metallic numismatic non-circulatory things produced by the US Mint and graded by PCGS.

If you think of the distinction in terms of the PCGS business model...things that are slabbed...then the division is even clearer to me.

I expect to be corrected by carolj or SportsModerator1 or the like if I am wrong on this. It's probably not a huge issue such that they trouble themselves too much.

I look at this new forum as more of a new feature for our benefit rather than a directive from above combined with penalties for violation.

• life is tough

this place can be, but doesn't have to be

let it be an escape for the overtaxed masses

away from the hustle and bustle and

maybe even boring college classes

• JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I think these boards are all about participation, right?

Participation is good for viewers/posters and translates into hits for CU.

I'd love to see the stats since the split.

I'd bet if you add the activity from both forums post split and compare it to an equal number of days pre split it is down sharply.

If I am right, why would we (CU and those that influenced the split) not admit the error, and go back to the way it was?

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Im in!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i think variety is in the split

there has been more opportunity to express and participate and not have an opinion buried by four eBay, three paypal, 4 guess the grade, or whatever fell off a cliff or is going through the roof...i still go there, too.

call me "bi" (as far as the board changes) but i like it

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I think the split is an overreaction. might as well have different groups for each coin type. Cents, Nickels, Dimes, Quarters...

I prefer a big melting pot of coin-related posts to bunch of fractionalized folders, but that's just me.
    Dan
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have been a member of PCGS Forums since 2001.

I have to say, that since the split, the Coin Forum

seems as dead as a doornail.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage