Should this board be split into modern and older coins? Poll
Options
seateddime
Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭
What do you think of a split between modern coins (those mostly collected only in MS/PF) and the rest (Seated, Barber etc)?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org
Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.
Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.
Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
0
Comments
-
Doesn't this come up every few months?0
-
I'd like to see a new "Amazing Kreskin" forum for people to predict the future, and then an additional "I Told You So" forum for people to claim that whatever actually happened last month was something they accurately predicted last year.0
-
Here's a tie-in for you, CCU. I saw Kreskin playing Blackjack recently. He's a card counter. He looked very old...0
-
Sure. Why not. Might as well.
0 -
I voted yes. I collect Moderns because it is what I can afford. I'd like to be able to post images of my NEWPs without the fear of reprisal from the folks who like to bash moderns. Because I KNOW people want to see images of coins that were issued just last year. It is not like you can just buy these widgets and look at your own. Some moderns are so rare that one may never see one in person.

(All said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
No, I don't think we need separate forums.
JonathanI have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.0 -
-
No. While I don't read most of the modern threads I do at times like to keep in touch with what is happening in all the major areas of the market. Even reading the headline at times is of benefit. It only takes a minute reading the new day's titles to decide what is of interest to read further.
I fully expect the "bashers" to wander into other forums if that's what they intend to do. I expect no different now that the G&E thread has been moved to a new category. The bashers will follow.
I'm all for an "amazing Kreskin" forum as long as "Carnac" gets one as well.
roadrunner0 -
I think it would be a shame. While I don't collect moderns, I learn a lot by scrolling through some of the threads on this board- sort of "learning by association". It's sort of like listening to the local sports station- most of the coverage deals with LSU or the Saints, which is what I am most interested in. However, along the way I hear a lot about the national sports scene as well and listen to the occasional nationally syndicated show."College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
-Randy Newman
0 -
Next, you'll be complaining that Moderns are "stealing" market from classics.Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally
I knew it would happen.0 -

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.
my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/0 -
I used to play in a band, and one night we shared a stage with Kreskin. He insisted during our break that we clear all the musical equipment from the stage so he could perform his act without the audience thinking he was using our stuff to perform his mental gymnastics. The man who played keyboards in our band played a B-3 Hammond with a Leslie. He was furious about having to move all that crap, so he introduced Kreskin as the amazing foreskin.
Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor0 -
No, I don't see any need to.John G Bradley II0
-
There is very little agreement as to where the cutoff point would be.
I consider anything after 1933 to be modern and also consider Morgan and Peace Dollars to be modern since the vast majority available today weren't released until 1962 or later.All glory is fleeting.0 -
No, but I wish they would have a seperate forum for all the eBay / Paypal deals gone bad, and the people that are basically just dry snitching on each other.0
-
I voted YES- and odds are the amount of posters that would post reasonably sound questions and or thought provoking insight into either category, won't have the need to post dribble along the lines.
I'm glad to see that the house decided to open a forum strictly to PM's- that hopefully will move a few speculators out of this room.
Now onto something prolific- like Bears drinking last night!0 -
I voted no for the simple reason that something like this separates everybody even more.
The more separation you have the less activity you have and the less interest is shown.I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.
The name is LEE!0 -
No, but the BST needs to be split to an "ebay BST" and "non-ebay BST".Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.0
-
No. Just because the forums are split up in a certain way does not mean we need to 'OCD out' and create every possible split. I understand the temptation, coming from a technical background and have stopped myself from such behavior many times.
I like to think of the recent PM split in this way...it makes the most sense to me:
The US Coin forum remains here for the discussion of any US item you can have them certify, grade and slab.
The PM forum is for more abstract talk about things PCGS cannot slab.
And topics that actually cross over are still tolerated in both places.
FURTHERMORE, I am going to make a suggestion.
The next split we need is to get eBay related threads out of the US Coin Forum. But i'm not sure we need further divisions to achieve this. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with simply putting your eBay threads into the new PM forum. Sure, it's the PM forum. But why not? Based on my theory above, the whole idea is to make the US Coin Forum more pure. There shouldn't be a huge problem with us simply doing this as long as we don't end up converting the PM forum into an Open Forum.
Put your eBay threads into the PM forum. Let's see what happens! I hope I will not get banned for this sug **NO CARRIER**
0 -
What roadrunner said....0
-
NO!
We not only can but should learn from each other.
The IKE GROUP is passionate about the origins of many coin features Ikes display well because Ikes are large, hard and nickel clad.
Thus Ikes are ripe for the study of MDD, die state and the many factors that create minor differences in the down-line expression of doubled master dies, none of which are unique to Ikes and in fact are features of many 19th century coins let alone 20th century.
The study of MDD in Ikes may even propel this ugly numismatic duckling into a collectable swan. Well, maybe the many varieties of colorful chickens one sees at a country fair is a better analogy.
Of course, in about 20 years Ikes may fall into the "Classic" category and the imperative I feel to respond to each of these repetitive polls will rapidly fade. Rob
Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....
Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE0 -
Better question: Should the forum be split into two forums: one group who likes coins and the other group who does not like or no longer likes coins?0
-
<< <i>Doesn't this come up every few months? >>
Yes, the answer is always no.Becky0 -
NO!
US and British coin collector, and creator of The Ultimate Chuck E. Cheese's and Showbiz Pizza Place Token & Ticket Guide
0 -
No.
If such a split was made, it could start a trend.
People could complain that the older coins and/or modern coins forums are too cluttered and that each of those forums need to be broken down (i.e. modern proof forum and modern MS forum and modern circulated forum; older coin copper forum and older coin silver forum and older coin gold forum, etc.) which would then go through another cycle and on and on to where a gazillion forums exist, one for each date and mintmarked coin made by the US Mint. Same thing for world coins and currency and stamps.
Eventually there would be one forum for each forumite and we all would not talk to each other and just post to our own forum.0 -
<< <i>Doesn't this come up every few months? >>
Yep, it does.I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment
0 -
everytime a thread like this comes up, i use it as a chance to point out the biggest shortcoming of this site. if anything we should have a miscellaneous discussion forum with a good moderator. i enjoy the company on this board more than any other forum, and would like to just shoot the breeze every now and then0
-
I prefer draught beer.....
.... rather than bottle beer.....
....can we have a poll on that..?? ......Larry........
0 -
<< <i>What do you think of a split between modern coins (those mostly collected only in MS/PF) and the rest (Seated, Barber etc)? >>
It is an interesting human trait to seek segregation from those things that feel unlike the limited scope of one's personal preferences. I emphasize limited as this is the crux of fear and anxiety; thus, the desire or need to segregate oneself from change or the newness of experiences beyond one's seeming-capability.
MilesNow riding the swell in PM's and surf.0 -
I enjoy both collecting venues - so I vote NO. Keep them together.Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents
History of the US Constitution Coin Set0 -
No, US coins are US coins. If you want ancient coins go to the World and Ancient Coin Forum, this is what it is there for.0
-
Let me show you where this segmentation will lead
Early Americana Forum
Penny Forum
Two cent Forum
Three cent Forum
Nickel Forum
Half Dime Forum
Dime Forum
Twenty Cent Forum
Quarter Forum
Half Dollar Forum
Dollar Forum
Coin and Medal Forum
Error Coin Forum
Classic Commemorative Forum
Gold Coin Forum
Holed Coin Forum
Coin Die Forum
Cleaning Coin Forum
Metal detector Coin Forum
Modern Commemorative Forum
Aloof and complaint prone coin collectors
Psychotic coin collectors
Bipolar coin collectors
Anxiety prone coin collectors
Obnoxious Coin Collectors
Prissy and woosie coin collectors
Coin Collectors with dentures and other artificial appliences
Coin collectors with all of their origonal parts
Then we can separate the Proof from MS
Separate Modern from Classic
Do we really want this carried out to its extreme ?There once was a place called
Camelot
0 -
Maybe next we can have smoking and non-smoking sections?

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.0 -
No, but we really ought to have a precious metals forum
0 -
I'd like my own personal forum to talk to myself, so I only see similar points of views and interests as myself
0 -
<< <i>No, but we really ought to have a precious metals forum
>>
Joe.0 -
NO!
Even though I wasn't a fan of the PM threads I think culling them out dilutes this forum."If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"
My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress0 -
<< <i>I'd like my own personal forum to talk to myself, so I only see similar points of views and interests as myself
>>
Hey, me too!!!
But I always get nervous if anyone agrees with me.
tempus fugit extra philosophiam.0 -
-
no0
-
No... Cheers, RickO0
-
I vote no because, as for now, I only collect moderns, but love seeing and learning about the older coins. But I could see myself collecting some of the older stuff someday, like the Peace Dollar, what a beautiful coin.0
-
NO...I like reading about all coins, and while I would still do that if they were split up, it would make it a lot less fun in that someone with knowledge on the subject may not see a thread because they are not looking in the right place at the right time, or something along those lines.
I am glad the precious metals were moved into their own though. Those aren't coins, and thinking about coins in the term of their metal content is a detriment to the coin-this is a coin forum, not a metal forum afterall!
It will make little difference to me, however, as I never read any of those threads. The biggest difference is I will have less to scroll past and more will appear on the front page, which I already changed to show 100 threads...
Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History0 -
Every time I read or hear the word "SHOULD", I remember my sister, years ago, telling me to "Stop shouldin' on yerself"0
-
No...if its not broken don't fix it. Do some upgrades but don't fix it. Nice avatar 2Sweet!
0
Leave a Comment
Categories
- All Categories
- 520.1K Coins and Currency - PCGS
- 328.6K U.S. Coin Forum
- 14.8K PCGS Set Registry Forum
- 5.2K Q & A Forum
- 41.4K World & Ancient Coins Forum
- 3K U.S. & World Currency Forum
- 96.4K Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
- 7.3K Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
- 1.5K Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
- 61 Random
- 246.2K Trading Cards, Autographs and Memorabilia - PSA
- 90.3K Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
- 1.7K Autographs Forum
- 16.4K PSA Set Registry Forum
- 22K Sports Talk
- 115K Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
- 663 Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs
- 2.2K Stamps
- 1.5K Stamps Forum
- 670 Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
- 83 Coin Shows
- 83 General Coin Show Information and Discussion
- 11.9K Misc
- 11.9K Testing Forum







