Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first-ever Barber Half.....

I just bought my first-ever Barber Half this summer.

I paid far too much for it, but I like it. For being my first-ever of this series, I think it is in a pretty decent condition.

One thing I am concerned about, though, is the tiny....really tiny... green spot in libertys hair just below U in TRUST. I just wonder... will this cause the coin to BB if I try to sumbit it? It's really minor, but I've heard that TPG's are strict on this. (And yes, I do want to submit it sooner or later, because I don't really know this series well enough to decide whether it is AU or MS. )

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about a BB, but green on silver coins is usually associated with PVC; thus, I recommend a rinse in acetone. As for the coin, it has a super nice original look, but I think it's an AU58.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no green spot... it could just be verdigris as this coin is very crusty.

It has a lot of eye appeal and I second the CH AU grade slab-a-bility! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking AU55. Just a bit too much wear for a 58 by my standards.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I got this R-5 half dime off the Bay for next to nothing, probably because of the huge green spot. I soaked it in acetone and it is totally gone. I don't think it was PVC, though, because it hadn't eaten into the coin, and the toning was still even gray underneath. The acetone caused no change in the color of the coin.image

Very nice Barber, by the way.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't worry about a BB, but green on silver coins is usually associated with PVC; thus, I recommend a rinse in acetone. As for the coin, it has a super nice original look, but I think it's an AU58. >>

I agree, its a great looking coin - and - again - without the coin in hand, its difficult to determine if there's any rub on the coin what so ever.

If there are no luster breaks, the coin could just as easily be a MS 64. Minor marks on the portrait would account for that 64 grade.

Excellent start to a wonderful series. Congratulations.

I see you're fairly new to the Forums - image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Congrats on the pick up...did you get that from the bay? or was it a show pick up?
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    Thanks. I bought it from a dealer here in Norway. But, as I said in the OP, I paid far too much for it. Paid MS price, but alas... as long as I like it image

The same dealer told me that next week he will get in a complete collection of US commemorative halves. Unfortunately mainly AU grade, I think, but he offered me to preview it before he puts it in his shop.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58...
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Mike. I do not see any luster breaks and without seeing the coin in hand I would venture a 63 or 64 grade. AU58's these days are graded such when they are fairly baggy and don't have near that much undisturbed luster. Secondly, the coin is absolutely the way I love them -- totally original and beautifully toned. I love Unc. coins with the slightly muted luster and the proportional toning in the devices just like your coin. Many coins are either dipped or the toning detracts from the eye appeal. Yours has original surfaces with toning that adds to the eye appeal IMO.

I absolutely love it.

Tyler
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I agree that it is a nice Barber Half!!

If you do the acetone dip, make sure that what
    you buy is 100% acetone, poured into a glass
    bowl. Don't use acetone with a Q-Tip, because
    it will melt the plastic stick and put plastic goo
    all over your coin.

Rinse well under running water, then rinse with
    distilled water.

Use in a well ventilated area (like outdoors) and
    try not to breathe in the fumes.

Other than that, have fun!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful first Barber Half. Is this the beginning????image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweetheart coin N-guy!! image

I agree with the posters that are in the very probable MS63/4 camp. I do not see any wear, nor any reason this coin
    wouldn't slab Mint State from our host, or ATS. Even on the off chance it 58'd, it's worth MS money.

As far as a small pin-point green spot, it is probably verdigris. No way to tell for certain, but I would consider a tooth pick
    to see if it dislodges before I would consider a dip, even in acetone. Whatever you do, be VERY careful. That is a wholey
    original half, from what I can tell, and EXTREMELY desirable as such.

Nice ... VERY nice!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin and without seeing it in hand I would think it might grade 64 if there are no luster breaks. I especially like how original the surfaces are and the strike is very nice as well. You have a good eye. The small green spot will probably neutralize with a careful acetone treatment as others have stated. It is so small though I would not be too concerned about it and if you have little experience with conserving a coin you might consider getting it graded via NCS, the NGC conservation service.

After conservation they will forward it to NGC or PCGS for grading and encapsulation if the coin can be graded depending upon your desire for which service you would like it graded at. Good luck and happy hunting. Those commems should be a lot of fun to look at too! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I paid far too much for it"

Join the club!
    Paying to much is my MO.

Very nice Barber, and an acetone soak will take care of that spot. image

Ray
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin 58 minimum and if that spot bugs you, try using a toothpick.

MS is possible but I would want to see it ih nand first.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The feathers on the eagle are extraordinary.
    While it is difficult to judge the luster from a
    picture, the coin seems AU-58 but could go higher.
    I would send it in for grading and see what it grades.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks spectacular and my knee-jerk reaction is that the coin is MS.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms63,

great looking coin!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, interesting responses on a nice coin. First place I noticed was high cheek area by the nose and the leaves high point toning change , sweet 58 was my knee jerk.. Good start, long road,image
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Real sweet looking Barber.....like others have said, could be MS, but hard to tell without looking at the coin in hand. Minimum, AU-58, and a great strike to boot. In hand, the coin probably has wonderful underlying luster too. I've seen quite a few Barber halves (in both NGC and PCGS holders), that had small green spots on the coin's surfaces. Like Todd said, probably verdigris, and when I do see it, it's usually on the crusty Barbers. If it was up to me, I'd probably leave it alone and not mess with it. Congratulations on a super pickup! image
  • Options
    Today I bough my Barber Half #3. (The second one was a lower grade 1899).

My third one was this:

imageimage

I keep overpaying. Both the first one and this one cost me about 500 dollars each. It's a pretty expensive hobby... image

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Today I bough my Barber Half #3. (The second one was a lower grade 1899).

My third one was this:

imageimage

I keep overpaying. Both the first one and this one cost me about 500 dollars each. It's a pretty expensive hobby... image >>

The 1895 looks like it could be another beauty based on the scans... can't wait to see your own pics! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Not my series, but that barber half looks all of ms64 to me.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be afraid of either Barber at $500 each. I don't collect Barbers, but the dealers that I trust who do handle them have said that they bring HUGE premiums if they are truly original and high grade. I read something recently about Barbers... "Barbers come two ways, either worn out or very expensive".

Beautiful purchase, well done!
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I gamble on AUs being the grades.
    Let us know how they grade at the TPGs.
    $500 is an AU price.
    I'd have to recheck, but I think MS64s are a couple grand now- almost as bad as seated halfs image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like the 1892, but honestly do not care for the 1895.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the first 3 Barbers... How many left to go?

That's a long and difficult series; sound like the Barber bug bit you!!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, the only time a guy pays too much for a coin is on Coin Vault or one of the many Cable Television Programs peddling coins. I think you're safe.
  • Options
    I received the 1895 coin today. Put it in an airtight and scanned it. Now it looks like this:

Not too bad, I think image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received the 1895 coin today. Put it in an airtight and scanned it. Now it looks like this:

Not too bad, I think image >>

I agree with you, and I really don't think you've been overpaying, especially if you like the coin image unless the coins have some sort of problem that can't be seen by photos. and if either of those slab as MS, you've done very well.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    You cannot pay too much for something you like
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Outside of the rim) that 1892 has PROOF qualities about it.

I like it a lot.
    Sweet coin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I like the newp # 3 - nice 1895-P Half.

Looks alot like the 92 - and without the
    coin in hand, its hard to say AU 58 - MS 63-64.

$500 is not that much for these coins.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file