Home Precious Metals

Rhodium Falling Off A Cliff...

Ok, I just couldn't help myself...I have no idea if anyone invests in this metal, or even how you store it, but it IS dropping like a rock past $6500 (after being up around $9,000, wasn't it?)
ASE Addict...but oh so poor!

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes perhaps so...

but about 6 years ago it was $450 an ounce.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Rhodium is thinly traded.

If you discount major governments like Russia...I believe that leaves only 7 buyers...

(my photo...utah deserts...upper reaches of Horseshoe Canyon...remember where that fool lost his hand a few years ago...this is only a few miles away from that)

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rhodium is thinly traded.

If you discount major governments like Russia...I believe that leaves only 7 buyers...

(my photo...utah deserts...upper reaches of Horseshoe Canyon...remember where that fool lost his hand a few years ago...this is only a few miles away from that) >>

Are we looking at wild ass?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    rhodium is used in radiology.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great news. Now, all those products I buy and use on a monthly basis that are derived from Rhodium are going to be much much cheaper. image
  • Also used in turbine blades as I recall...............
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys have neglected the BIG use for Rhodium........Not to mention the reason that it rose in price in the first place.....
    ALL white gold and platinum jewelry is rhodium plated. Four or five years ago, when fashion deceided that white gold jewelry was prefferable to yellow, rhodium ran from the hundreds to the thousands......
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys have neglected the BIG use for Rhodium........Not to mention the reason that it rose in price in the first place.....
    ALL white gold and platinum jewelry is rhodium plated. Four or five years ago, when fashion deceided that white gold jewelry was prefferable to yellow, rhodium ran from the hundreds to the thousands...... >>

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this.

Rhodium-plating in jewelry is only used on white gold (not platinum) and did not influence the rise in prices.

PS...if polished properly, platinum rings are not rhodium-plated, but I will admit some jewellers rhodium-plate platinum just because they do not know how to polish platinum properly.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You guys have neglected the BIG use for Rhodium........Not to mention the reason that it rose in price in the first place.....
    ALL white gold and platinum jewelry is rhodium plated. Four or five years ago, when fashion deceided that white gold jewelry was prefferable to yellow, rhodium ran from the hundreds to the thousands...... >>

Rhodium-plating in jewelry is only used on white gold (not platinum) and did not influence the rise in prices.

PS...if polished properly, platinum rings are not rhodium-plated, but I will admit some jewellers rhodium-plate platinum just because they do not know how to polish platinum properly. >>

Platinum is gray, and it will not 'shine'......Ask any jewelry if their platinum is rhodium plated.
    PS-I've had a jewelry store for 23 years......
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>

PS...if polished properly, platinum rings are not rhodium-plated, but I will admit some jewellers rhodium-plate platinum just because they do not know how to polish platinum properly. >>

Platinum is gray, and it will not 'shine'......Ask any jewelry if their platinum is rhodium plated.
    PS-I've had a jewelry store for 23 years...... >>

This is made of .9995 platinum, and it shines like the sun.image

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Why does this matter?
    -Rome is Burning

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does this matter? >>

Apparently it matters more than the school supply crash.
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Gulp!! -$1240/OZ?? In ONE DAY?

HOLEE CRUMOLEE...dat's gotta hoit!

Where's the entry point on this bad boy?
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Entry Point?

$300 or so.

See how hard it is to Exit? Better not to Enter!!!
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Back in the day, el cheapo costume jewelry was rhodium plated to look like silver.

We even advertised "Fine Rhodium Plating!"
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hehe...yeah, $300 sounds about right...we'll be there in about 5 days at this rate!