Home Metal Detecting
Options

off to Hawaii in a week, any suggestions for packing my MD?

I can't afford a case right now. i'm trying to buy a car and a new laptop screen (it cracked lol). So I was thinking of taking it apart and surrounding it with clothes to cushion it from those butchers tat handle the bags (My brother's bag was ripped once when we went to get it at the lugage terminal). I can't put it in a carry-on, because AA is getting more strict with the size of carry-ons, because they wantyou to pay for an extra bag. So if anyone has a better suggestion, it would be great. Thanks guys.
Happy Hunting!image

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't your model break down into 3,4 pieces? It should go in your carry on if it does... Someone else just posted that is what they do... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't your model break down into 3,4 pieces? It should go in your carry on if it does... Someone else just posted that is what they do... Cheers, RickO >>

yeah, it's the Prizm III, so I've got the shaft, the coil, and the handle. I've got to see what the limit for a carry-on size is, If I can manage it, that's what I'll do, but if not, I dunno.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    i packed my excal and my 250 into the box the excal came in and carried it on...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Just Wear your coil on a chain as "Bling" & the TSA will think you're da Shizzle image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the tone that would give off if you sweep over it... of course, in that case.. the body would probably be buried with it...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Just another TARGET ! ! ! image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Just Wear your coil on a chain as "Bling" & the TSA will think you're da Shizzle image

image >>

well lets all pray I come back with all that lol
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Which island are you going to? How about putting it (and your clothes) in one of those hard-sided golf club cases? Have a great trip!
  • Options

<< <i>Which island are you going to? How about putting it (and your clothes) in one of those hard-sided golf club cases? Have a great trip! >>

hmm... good idea, maybe I'll give that a shot, assuming the case isn't too expensive. I have a soft golf case though, that won't work. I think I might pack it in a small hard suitcase I have, I'll probably stuff towels or something around it, it'll never fit in with all my clothes, plus I use a soft suitcase for my clothes. I'm going to O'ahu,
    Kuaui, the Big Island, and Maui. It's the a cruise with Norwegian.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Send me a PM if you want. I'm in Hawaii. If you stop on my island on one of my days off, I'll see if I can give you any help while you're here.
  • Options

<< <i>Send me a PM if you want. I'm in Hawaii. If you stop on my island on one of my days off, I'll see if I can give you any help while you're here. >>

thanks, i'll probably just be hunting on waikiki, i can't imagine how many honeymooners loose their rings there. not that I don't want to hunt elsewhere, but I've got the family with me, and odds are they don't want to watch me MD. so i'm not going to have much time to hunt on the other islands unfortunately, but maybe if I take a trip myself one day, i'll keep your invitation in mind. but could you recommend something to do on kauai? i've been trying to find something, but there's so much.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    It would help to know how many people you are coming with and what's their age spans/interests... There's everything from Ultra-light glides to hiking - with Zip-lining, kayaking and ATV tours in between.
    Without more information it's hard to make any recommendations except what NOT to do. You should SKIP seeing the "Fern Grotto" and "Russian Fort Elizabeth"...
    If you're planning on doing anything away from the ship, you'll need a rent a car. Public transportation on this island is weak. And the harbor where you'll be docking is an ugly industrial area. There's a courtesy shuttle that will only take you a couple of miles into the shopping district of Lihue. And if shopping is a high priority, the girls need to get most of that done on Oahu or Maui.
    If you have small kids with you, there are a couple of "kiddie beaches" where the family could enjoy the beach and you could still hunt! Be very cautious of the ocean here! (If I could figure out how to underline that, I would.)
    About the best (most honest) book to help you choose activities is one called "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook."
    And I'd still be willing to give you our phone number in case we could be of any help to you while you're here... I know it might seem a little weird. Stranger to stranger. But to us, it's just Aloha....
  • Options
    strap it to a surfboard!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>It would help to know how many people you are coming with and what's their age spans/interests... There's everything from Ultra-light glides to hiking - with Zip-lining, kayaking and ATV tours in between.
    Without more information it's hard to make any recommendations except what NOT to do. You should SKIP seeing the "Fern Grotto" and "Russian Fort Elizabeth"...
    If you're planning on doing anything away from the ship, you'll need a rent a car. Public transportation on this island is weak. And the harbor where you'll be docking is an ugly industrial area. There's a courtesy shuttle that will only take you a couple of miles into the shopping district of Lihue. And if shopping is a high priority, the girls need to get most of that done on Oahu or Maui.
    If you have small kids with you, there are a couple of "kiddie beaches" where the family could enjoy the beach and you could still hunt! Be very cautious of the ocean here! (If I could figure out how to underline that, I would.)
    About the best (most honest) book to help you choose activities is one called "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook."
    And I'd still be willing to give you our phone number in case we could be of any help to you while you're here... I know it might seem a little weird. Stranger to stranger. But to us, it's just Aloha.... >>

thanks so much pakasmom, I sent you a PM
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    I've sent back a reply. Just let me know if you didn't get it for some reason...
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Updates needed. What treasures did you find?
    I brake for ear bars.