Home Metal Detecting
Options

I've been to the trenches with my new detector and....edited to add 8/18 return finds!

Visited my brothers old victorian home where a new edition is being added, the workers dug a 5 foot deep by 3 foot deep trench for the foundation, I couldn't resist jumping in ala Demodigger I guess. What did I find with the detector? - one cent - 1989 probably dropped by the workers, but what did I see at nearly the bottom of the 5 foot trench in one corner- was that a rock? it sure was shiny and....wish I had brought my camera.....

Got an idea?- yep, a bottle dump! Must have been an ash dump as well, because as I stepped back and looked at the soil, the ash content was very visible, found lots of bones as well- plenty of beef ribs and ham hocs. Only found one metal piece- a part from a lantern it looks like. Even dug my first clay pipe. Everything was found in the hole from about 4 feet to 5 1/2 feet, I excavated what I could without disturbing their forms and not getting myself trapped- called it quits when a good chunk of the undercut bank I dug nearly dropped down on my head - the soil was full of old broken glass - forgot my gloves as well and have a few reminders now. There was alot more ash in the pile/bank that I didn't get a chance to dig through, the concrete footers were poured yesterday ( I hit the trenches Monday night), so getting back into the hole might not be a possibility. But on the optimistic side- they appeared to just knick the corner of the hole when digging and might have dug some stuff up thats now laying in the large dirt pile that I didn't look into- will have to wait till they start backfilling and maybe talk to my brother about seeing if they can not backfill that particular corner afterwards- heck I could probably dig a trench along side it -well maybe. Anyways here's some close up of the more interesting stuff:

Above, an old dark green "Congress Water" bottle from Saratoga Springs, NY (from what I can find online dates to 1860's/1870's), an ink bottle that has an octagon or so sided base for sitting into a desk slot, a small hand size lantern base that still has part of copper top attached- see other photo, not sure if the larger wick part I found above it fit this small lamp. two saucers, ornamental perfume bottle? and a clay pipe. I believe this stuff may date to about the time the house was built or shortly thereafter.

From a website I found it appears the one saucer has an English patent mark dated Jan 3 1849 !

Copper/brass lantern part mentioned above

"Kinnicks bluing" bottle, found two of these

Dr. Kennedy's bottle side, other sides reads Mass. - perhaps a distant relative of JFK?

Revn H Downs elixir bottle

Now if I could just get the yard to yield some coins!

Edited 8/18 - see post below for the return info!

Comments

• Options
    very cool stuff stang...i like it....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Wow, quite a find! I really like those plates.
    Bob
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, quite a find! I really like those plates. >>

Would you believe they were found stacked neatly on top of each other as well? - despite lots of other broken china plates these two saucers made it through together.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing finds... must have been the family's trash dump...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Very nice finds! Let us know if you find anything in the pile. Maybe that site was a privy.
  • Options
    GREAT bottles! that congress springs might be worth something, let me check my books.... the Illustrated price guide of antique bottles: "congress and empire spring co. in a horse shoe shape; in center of it a big C in center; above it Hotchkiss Sons; under the big C, New York, Saratoga, N.Y.; piny; 7 3/4"; under bottom two dots; green; wood mold $15". that book was printed in 1975, so it could be worth alot more.
    the ink is listed at $4-10. if it were cobalt, it would $150.

the ink is called an igloo ink. very nice i've only one and its broken.
    the other ones are fairly common, i've dug them all. if they only opened one part of the hole, then it could very well be worth digging out the rest, unless its covered.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, man... you suck!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredibly some bottles are quite rare and collectors will pay a mint for them. One of my aunts is a serious bottle collector, and has thousands of them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Nice bottles for sure. Surely there has to be some coins in that pile...
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool find on the Saratoga Bottle--the bottling plant now holds a great car museum, which you can see lots of pictures of on my Fotki (in signature) including several of the building itself.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Well another week went by but finally got a chance last night to dig a small trench along side the now poured foundation before they backfiled today. This time found only 10 small medicine bottles (5 of them marked-still kinda cool) and a stack of broken china and some more bones- oh, yeah and a horseshoe. But right near the end of the night as it was getting dark and while I was still in the trench I had dug I had my brother hand me the metal detector and searched the hole, nothing, rats! But as I was doing some of the dirt on the banks edges above I got one strong signal, and digging in what did I see, a medium size heavily encrusted round object- maybe a 1/2 cent or 2 cent piece! It was pretty dark and my brother was still watching me and doubting that I had found anything good when it happened- I dropped it back into the hole right between my legs and no flashlight! I had been trying to brush some of the crud off and fumbled it, but just before dropping it I did manage to see that it wasn't a coin, but had a loop/shank or whatever you call it on the back of a button- but it looked old! My brother took a while but finally found a working flashlight and after about 1/2 of sifting and crawling on my knees in the hole I found it again:

Kinda of disspointed at first, had hopes it would be a military button or something of the sorts after reading of all the ones everyone here as found in the past and never having dug one myself. When I got home after showering to remove all the dirt from myself I went to clean the button, and what do you know there was writing on the backside of it! I just figured it out tonight:

It reads Benedict & Burnham Extra, from what I found on the net so far they are one of America's oldest button manufacturers and are still in business under the name Waterbury buttons. Company was founded during the war of 1812 by Aaron Benedict to produce buttons for the soldiers and sailors of the USA or something like that! From just a short reading of company history I am speculating the button I found is from the 1840's or earlier as later on and up till 1900 or so they were known as the Benedict & Burnham MFG Co marking on their buttons, but I could be wrong, still my best button find to date.

Tried to go back tonight, but it was a complete rain out, they did dig a section of trench for another part of the addition, but it was quickly filled with water, hopefully I can revisit the site tomorrow night, HH gotta go!
  • Options
    Your doing good! KEEP going.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding... keep at it... neat finds ...... HH Cheers, RickO