Home Metal Detecting
Options

New to the forum

This is my first post to the metal detecting forum. I usually post on the U.S. Coin Forum. I am looking to get into metal detecting. I am a certified scuba diver so I would like a metal detector that could handle under water as well as dry conditions. Also, any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about this hobby, so sorry in advance if this is not an appropriate post.
Nick

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very appropriate.

Check out DUBBA's recent post.

I used to use a Fisher 1280-X underwater detector on the beach, but since I don't do scuba, I never used it underwater, aside from a brief splash-and-wade in a North Carolina lake.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    welcome chabot....i use a minelab excalibur metal detector in the water, based on recomendations from area md'ing vets, and i'm very happy with it....it works great in fresh and salt waters as well as on dry land and believe it's one of the best and most versatile machines you can buy....i'm sure that all of the top manufacturers make good quality water machines, so do some research and see which one might be best for the area/conditions you plan to hunt in ....i don't dive but search the beaches and wade/snorkle around in salt water from 2-8 feet deep....i wear a 41lbs weight belt to help me stay on targets while cleaning the area beaches and waters of trash and sharp metal objects ... i am very proud of the fact that i do more than my share to keep the beaches clean and every once in a while i'm rewarded with a nice find ... good luck...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the MD world... suggest you visit a few MD forums, go to a MD store and 'handle' the equipment, study how you will use it... (I know in water, but how about land for relics etc)... ask a lot of questions.. then forge ahead. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Welcome!