Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Late release of 2008 Topps Heritage hi #'s???

I understand that Topps has already released another run of 2008 Topps Heritage Chrome (#101-200) and that the cards are mixed in with packs of regular Topps Chrome. I'm hearing something about a release in Oct. or Nov. of additional heritage hi # cards. Does anyone have any info. on this? Topps Heritage this year was numbered up to 500, but the 1959 Topps set had 572 cards. Could there be a release in the works for another 72 hi # cards? I checked the Topps site, but found nothing. I think the whole idea is ridiculous but would like to find out if there is anything to it.

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    no way this is happening.

Kevin

• << <i>no way this is happening.

Kevin >>

Don't put anything past Topps.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no way this is happening.

Kevin >>

A second series of '08 Topps Heritage Chrome? Preposterous.

Agreed, don't put anything past Topps. Milk the cow 'til the teat is dry.
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    NEW! FIRST TIME EVER
    2008 Topps Heritage High Number Edition
    The 2008 Topps Heritage collection continues with 2008 Topps Heritage High Number Edition, highlighting 220 additional players, including more than 45 Rookies, on the classic 1959 Topps Baseball design! AND, it promises
    1 Autographed or Relic Card per box!

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

• 220 Additional Heritage Subjects, Numbered 501-720!
    • More than 45 Heritage Rookie Subjects!
    • NEW! Cut Signature Relics!
    • Every Autograph Signed on Card!
    • Gum in Every Pack!
    • ONE AUTOGRAPHED OR RELIC CARD PER HOBBY BOX!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    Insertion rates are based on estimated production levels, which may vary from the actual insertion rates to be published on product packaging.

BASE CARDS

• Heritage
    • Updates & Highlights 550 cards

• 220 subjects
    • 330 subjects 6 Topps Heritage and 2 Updates & Highlights cards per pack!
    INSERT CARDS

• Rookie Performers
    • Then and Now
    • 2008 Flashbacks 35 subjects

• 15 subjects
    • 10 subjects
    • 10 subjects 6 Per Box!

AUTOGRAPHED* CARDS

• Real One Autographs
    • Real One Special Edition
    • Hobby Exclusive! Real One Dual Autographs
    • Clubhouse Collection Autographed Relics
    • Hobby Exclusive! 1959 Cut Signature Relics
    • Hobby Exclusive! 1959 Cut Signatures 50 subjects

• >20 subjects
    • >20 subjects
    • 10 subjects
    • 10 subjects
    • 4 subjects
    • 6 subjects 1 Autographed or Relic Card Per Hobby Box!

• Hand numbered^ to 59!
    • Hand numbered^ to 25!
    • Hand numbered^ to 25!
    • Each is a 1 of 1!
    • Each is a 1 of 1!
    CHROME PARALLEL CARDS

• Black-Bordered
    • Refractor
    • Chrome 300 subjects

• 100 subjects
    • 100 subjects
    • 100 subjects

• Sequentially numbered^ to 59!
    • Sequentially numbered^ to 559!
    • Numbered^ to 1959!
    RELIC CARDS

• Clubhouse Collection
    • Clubhouse Collection Dual Relics
    • Flashback Stadium Relics 48 total cards

• 40 subjects
    • 5 cards
    • 3 cards 1 Relic or Autographed Card Per Hobby Box!

• Hand numbered^ to 59!
    BOX LOADERS – HOBBY EXCLUSIVE!

• Advertising Panels
    • 1959 Topps Originals TBD subjects
    1 Per Box!

• One per Box!
    • 1:2 Boxes!
    COMBINED INSERTION RATE FOR AUTOGRAPHED/RELIC* CARDS 1 per Hobby Box!

• Heh, looks like they decided to supplant their standalone rookie edition by making a set of Heritage highs instead. Smart move, really, since Heritage collectors are more rabid. The '52 Rookies edition couldn't have sold all that well, considering I still see blasters at my local stores. Heritage is gone within a couple months!

I wonder how the diehard Heritage fans feel about this... due to the collation, it isn't an easy or cheap set to complete. Now they're making it bigger.

Watch Topps do the same to Allen & Ginter next year (Now 700 cards!! Collect all 700 minis in 6 parallel variations!! Mini subsets of deadliest insects, naval history, ancient pharoahs, crops of the world, and the Peanuts gang!!)

*grin*
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Blowout is showing it as a Pre-Sell at $720 a case with a November 17th release date.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Please tell me I'm not going to get involved with this set.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy 501 - 720 from eBay (or someone here), but thats it.

Cards 1 to 500 had 15% SPs (75 of them) in it, so if that percentage stays consistent, I guess there will be 33 more SPs in the "high heritage."

That sell sheet add above says 300 chrome subjects, so I guess the "high heritage" will have chromes 201 - 300. If the greedy morons at Topps knew they were gonna do an "extended heritage", why did they put chromes 101 - 200 in another product?
    The base heritage set is already a big set. Do we really need cards of 5th year "rookies" and middle relievers? Real One autos...oh ok...
    get guys like Musial and Aaron and Ill buy some, but give me 1:300 pack odds on a Anthony Alfonseca auto and Ill laugh in your face.

I haven't seen a checklist yet, but right now the best I could do was get a set off ebay. Topps is looking to saturate the heritage market...
    is this wise? At best this stuff is a niche product and hasn't turned heads in a long time. If you don't do the set you have to wonder
    why anyone would spend money on essentially one GU and a bunch of base cards. No other topps product could be sold with those
    unbelivable pull odds for autosm and a checklist of nobodies!

If the checklist is loaded with rookie exclusives, then Im all ears, but if topps is expecting true heritage collectors to carry them through
    the bleak winter months, then they have another thing coming!

Kevin
  • bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭
    330 subjects 6 Topps Heritage and 2 Updates & Highlights cards per pack!

So there will be six "high numbered" Heritage cards and two U&H cards per pack(?) Will U&H be a separate release or only included in high numbered Heritage? I agree with ArchStanton: Heritage may have finallly jumped the shark.
  • This really takes the shine off Heritage for me - Topps seems to be trying to squeeze every last drop out of a successful set, and it's painful to watch.
  • rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    The guy I bought my Heritage case from in February sent me an email asking if I was interested in these, and I said " Sorry, real Heritage only please"

I don't think I'll be participating. I'm still trying to finish off the '01 thru '06 sets

Ian
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael Eisner, the old Disney CEO, owns Topps now. The one thing he does very well is squeeze more revenue out of entertainment properties. I wouldn't be surprised if Topps starts issuing factory sets for Heritage.
    Mike
  • LOL jumping the shark indeed.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    This is pretty much a cut & paste of an IM I sent to Jason, but since there's a thread, I thought I'd share my view publicly. I'm not to the point of being furious at it, but I am at the point of thinking of washing my hands of Heritage, and perhaps collecting modern at all. I may just concentrate on my Butler collection and renew my love of my long-neglected vintage collection. Topps is making a huge mistake in my opinion. I know one thing - I will not buy any unopened Heritage update product. If anything, I'll just purchase sets from the Bay and call it good.

40 more relics? !@$#%
    100 more chrome, after the additional 100 they forced on us in the their regular chrome product? !@$#%

With the black back variations, this year's Heritage already takes up two 800-count boxes. This'll require another. Completely ridiculous.
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Hm.
  • I love Heritage, but it would have been nice to know ahead of time that this was forthcoming. All of those people that thought they had 2008 master sets....now, as soon as the product is released, they don't have masters any more. My biggest fear is more SPs. If it's just an easy 220-card base set, I'll probably snag it off Ebay. The other problem is the binder. Now I either need to buy a larger binder to fit both series 1 & 2, or add a second binder. The first binder is already huge. Very annoying.
    I don't think many collectors will consider a master set MUST have both sets in it..afterall what has been called masters set has been the same for
    8 years now. It doesn't look like this will have a bunch of short prints, but if it does and they are rookies, then this stuff could go through the
    roof and then I will certainly be out.

Topps has hopefully learned that cheap products with watered down auto checklists released during football season just don't sell. I see the same here. Very
    interested in seeing a checklist. Could this be the first Jr in a White Sox uni or Man Ram in an LA uni?

Like said before, picking a set off ebay will ALWAYS be cheaper than busting wax.

Kevin
  • blacklabblacklab Posts: 187 ✭✭
    I would hope that Beckett will classify this as a separate set-like an update set and not part of the 2008 Master Set. That would be ridiculous.
    Beckett will pimp this set as the second coming of Christ...anything to hlep topps, but that won't matter to true heritage fans (and could
    a website with more heritage collectors than here).

They tried to get heritage chrome set builders to fall for the exteneded cards in topps chrome, and that didnt' work. They aren't going
    to get us to buy a bunch of junk just to get base cards. Like I said this product will hinge on the strenght of the insert checklists and
    based upon the 52 topps product (which it is taking over), it will be weak.

Kevin
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    bids on daniel murphy rookies if they add him in this set. but thats all im gonna buy. well maybe
  • psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    I have to see the checklist first. Topps had better not put series 1 cards mixed in with the high numbers (like Upper Deck used to do in the early 1990s). If Topps mixes series1 in with the high numbers, I definitely will not be buying. I think it would have been better if Topps released a 72 card set of traded players and rookies only to match the number of cards in the original 1959 set.

• blacklabblacklab Posts: 187 ✭✭
    I agree PSU. If Topps had to do this, at least you could rationalize an extra 72 cards. Can't see getting involved in this nonsense other than maybe picking up a hi # set on ebay. IMHO, the only heritage you had to think about was the '09 release.
  • I myself have already passed on the second Heritage Chrome Series so it will not be hard for me to pass on this third series too.
    Hey Topps what are you going to do with all those unsold cards, dump them in the ocean like the '52 Hi Numbers..

<< <i>

<< <i>no way this is happening.

Kevin >>

A second series of '08 Topps Heritage Chrome? Preposterous.

Agreed, don't put anything past Topps. Milk the cow 'til the teat is dry. >>

• psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Next thing you know, Topps will be issuing a high number update for Allen & Ginter.

• << <i>Next thing you know, Topps will be issuing a high number update for Alllen & Ginter. >>

shut your mouth!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • I don't think they would do this...
    -Rome is Burning

• I would not put it past Topps. I never thought Topps would do a high number Heritage series, either.

<< <i>I don't think they would do this... >>

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Next thing you know, Topps will be issuing a high number update for Allen & Ginter. >>

New High number series!! Now featuring a grey Abe Lincoln Pube!! Get yours today!!
  • alma1960alma1960 Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Here's the checklist I found for 2008 Topps Heritage HI:

2008 Topps Heritage HI checklist link
    Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Here's the worst part of this whole deal. If Topps knew they were adding a second series, why wouldn't they put the chromes numbered 100 to 200 in said second series. I just might have fallen for that one.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    Good point Jim, but then topps could only milk one additional heritage product. First they try to trick us with chrome and now this.

The checklist actually looks pretty nice, arguably better than this years heritage list, I was really hoping it wouldn't even be close, Im
    hoping the auto odds will be something stupid like 1:500 packs or maybe have sticker autos stuck to them. The last thing I need
    is another set to bust. Thanks for the info!

Kevin
  • alma1960alma1960 Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Here's my guess on this product:

There is no way Topps would insert regular 2008 Topps Updates and Highlights 2 per pack after releasing tons of the product in Mid-October. Who in their right mind would pay $65-$70 per box knowing that 48 of the cards were commons from a recently released set. My bet is this is the return of Topps Chrome Updates and Highlights. They put Topps Heritage chome in Topps Chrome, now we get Topps Chrome in a Heritage "HI" product. The Regular Updates and Highlights product includes 55 Rookie Chrome REFRACTOR box toppers, but no mention of Topps Chrome. All of this would make sense to me if this is the approach. Think we might get surprised with some gold or black refractors from a Topps Update Chrome?

Just a guess on my part. What a bummer if the product includes regular Topps Update and Highlight cards. Anybody think they would put the regular 2008 update cards on a 1959 design?
    Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)
  • I am still debating whether to do Topps Heritage high numbers. Is anyone definitely doing the Topps heritage high numbers?
  • ..you can almost hear the crickets...
    Actually no one ever really cared about the update and highlights set in the past, adding them 2 per box is just to keep the name. Topps
    is hoping that the heritage part of this will sell wax.

With that said, heritage collectors have the advantage here. There should be enough wax busters on ebay that sets should be available.
    The price on wax will do nothing than drop, especially at the retail level. If you are only interested in the set to complete your heritage set
    then there is really no need to mess with packs anyway.

I guess the real question is how great will topps make this product. Will it be loaded with redemptions a la topps 52? Will the quality of the
    cards be low? Will there be some year end rookie card value added in? True rookie cards have been absent for a few years now in
    regular topps heritage, short printed highly sought after RC's could drive up box sales, especailly is a few are exclusives.

I still don't think topps can move this product with the usual heritage 1 auto or GU per box formula, especially when other products in the
    same price range get you 3-4 autos per box!

Kevin
    I just read that the production of heritage high # might be cut, so that only stores that have ordered it will get it. This most likely is a
    stunt to try to sell product, but if its true this might make this stuff a bit more valuable, as the cards on the checklist still have to go in, but
    now at better odds.

Comments?

Kevin
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I won't be buying any of it. My set is/was done and I refuse to fall for their crap.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Goose.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • I am still undecided. My head says I am finished with 2008 Topps Heritage, but when I see a couple of blaster boxes in Target, I may have to feed the addiction.
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that there is a KC Royals team card, but it also made sense to me that Heritage up to now has only included team cards for teams that existed in the year of the original set.
  • Anybody here collecting this/going to collect the Hi #'s?

Funny that this forum is one of the best for trading Topps Heritage, but I havent heard anyone talking about the Hi # release.

I'm still debating...but if there is no one to trade with, that might influence my decision on trying to put together the Hi set.
  • Tempting to go after it....but probably will wait to just buy a set off Ebay.

Is there a binder large enough to hold the entire first set with variations and then the high number set?
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    But you get 2 cards of base topps update in every pack! With a pokemon foil inserted every other box!!!!!!!11111one
    I have some store credit right now, so if there isn't anything better then I might pick up a few boxes, I am still intrigued by the real one autos...a list that
    looks better than the original...but is that justification to try the long odds on those autos?

or maybe I should ask myself//can I buy just two boxes and then leave?

I do agree traders here would make a big difference.

Kevin
  • Would there be enough interest to do a group buy? I agree that the auto list looks more appealing than those inserted in the base set; my worry is that so few people will actually open the high number series that the inserts (autos, CC, etc.) will be harder to come by on the secondary market.
  • I was looking at the sell sheet last night for this again. So, there are going to be an *additional* 40 Clubhouse relic cards? Wow...they are making it impossible to finish this master set.
    Is this set getting any buzz?
    Why would Topps put in the entire Regular Issue Update set in Heritage????

If I wanted to buy that lame set, wouldn't I purchase it directly, I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.

I put up with the 800 Bonds cards that all looked alike and the 500 A-Rod cards, but now two cards per pack wasted.

An insert set that is larger than the base??

Why does Topps want to kill the golden goose?