BBCE Group Break - RIP, SCAN AND POST!!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Nice Barry Sanders! What do those usually go for? >>

9s average $27.45 and 10s average $153.
  • Options
    Still no Montana from the 81s.. Odds are getting better for me..
  • Options
    SHREVEPORT, LA, US 08/15/2008 5:20 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
    08/15/2008 5:17 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

WOOHOO!!!
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Well, UPS rode up on their camel and I began to rip. 2 basketball, 2 81 football, 2 golf and a box of 83 Topps. When I figure out the scanning thing, I will post some photos...

Results: Only opening 10 packs of the 83, saving the rest for a slow day

83 Topps: Pete Rose (OC), Pete Rose AS, Nolan Ryan (Very OC), Tom Seaver x2,

81 Golf: Jack Nicklaus (OC of course), Lee Trevino (Good Centering, ST)

88-89 Basketball: Scottie Pippen, Magic Johnson, Barkley AS, Drexler Sticker

81 Football: Best Card--Joe Klecko

Was fun, will do another break next time
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Good day,
    Got mine today, should have known after the great pulls on the last group rip that the Ripping Gods were set to take a crap on me!!!
    4 Pack 89 Score is the highlight......Irvin, Carter, and Brown all had the same bent corner. Did pull a Sanders that is the beauty of the lot should be a 9 and the only one worth sub'ing.
    4 packs 81 Football, you know its Great Rip when the highlight is a Craig Morton !!!!!!!! About 80% OC, most so bad showing other cards.
    4 packs Basketball......Pulled a Bird, so OC not worth submitting and a Jordan #17 almost to OC to submit, maybe a EX-MT+ 6.5...rest crapola. I was expecting better after cracking an 1985 Topps Football box, ripped 36 packs last night and not one, and I mean one Star worth sub'ing. Oh well, luck of the draw.
    So I have another over 500 85 Topps Football to get rid of again.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    From my 2 packs of basketball

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    sharp looking Pippen, congrats! Solid 9
  • Options
    No need to even warm up the scanner.

81 Topps football: lots of OC commons

89 Score football (6 packs): best card was Thurman Thomas

81 Donruss golf: well centered this time but no Nicklaus

88/89 basketball: one pack has Jordan clearly visible on top. No need to open it with gum stuck to it.

83 Topps baseball box: Nothing. Highest BV card was a Willie McGee rookie
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sharp looking Pippen, congrats! Solid 9 >>

My thoughts exactly! image
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Gonna be waiting another day looks like..
  • Options
    I believe this was my last group break.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe this was my last group break. >>

You'll get pulled in again, I sat this one out and I'll be ready for the next one.
  • Options
    Did you see my post regarding my packs? Do not believe I will be doing another.
  • Options
    I got a Gwynn and Ryan in my 83 box. I'll scan at some other time... maybe, they're not perfect or anything.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    I cannot believe there was nothing in that 83 box that sucks. So far I have been striking out on these breaks. However no Montana being pulled is getting to be pretty promising. Just have to see..
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I'll join in with those disappointed with their 83 boxes. No Gwynn. No Sandberg. No Boggs. Otherwise the quality was typical for 25 year old wax. Some dinged corners, but some 9s or 10s in there too. Thanks again to LSU for organizing this.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Well I got my packs today. I had ordered 4 golf and 4 89 score. When I buy older packs I usually keep one pack of each for my collection unopened. So, I opened three packs of each. The cards were all in very good condition except for the centering on the golf. Out of the six packs I opened I got next to nothing. The first set of pics are from the first six packs. After feeling frustrated I totally did a revenge rip and opened the last pack of golf. That is when I pulled the Jack and the Watson. I then did the same for my last pack of 89 score I had put away. That is when I pulled the Troy. It is pretty funny how a crap rip can go to a very good rip within seconds. LSU thanks for organizing the group break I am very happy with my cards. If anyone is looking for any commons from the 89 score let me know I will see if i can help.
  • Options
    Is the bottom right corner jacked up on the Aikman, or is that just the scan?
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    That Watson and Trevino look like they might be submittable. With the leeway PSA gives centering on those.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    got 5 packs of 89 Score, nothing worth scanning.

The highlights were:

Thurman Thomas rookie
    Rod Woodson rookie
    Joe Montana that was a 6 at best

Like others, almost every corner was dinged and really didn't find anything close to submittable but it was fun anyway.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    89 Score had nothing, 81 fb had some nice cards, these are from the golf -

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Well I have to say this was one of the most enjoyable breaks I've had in quite some time. I just opened a 1989 UD box, and even though I had some pretty good luck, just pulling the semi-stars and players from my youth was quite enjoyable.

I opened these packs back when I was a youngster, but they were quite a bit of my allowance just for a few packs (and I had huge sweet tooth to feed) so I wasn't able to open enough packs to pull any of the big cards. This box seemed endless to me. I could go on, but I just have to say pulling that first Griffey for me was like being a kid again. Anyways, here are the rookies I pulled. No Johnson, but I had so much fun I'm going to try another box.

I have to admit I was beside myself pulling that second Griffey. It's funny because I got a beautiful auto'd Sandy Koufax RC in the mail today as well, and the Griffey is probably only a $40 card, but the thrill of seeing it fresh from a pack was priceless. I couldn't stop thinking how I had pulled TWO Griffey's. I wish I could go back in time and share one with myself as a child.

I pulled quite a few super-star cards as well (2 Nolan Ryans, a Cal Ripken checklist, 4 Bonds, 2 Sandbergs, 3 Schmidts, 2 Winfields...), so overall it was quite a success.

Thanks again for putting this together. I had a blast!
  • Options

<< <i>Is the bottom right corner jacked up on the Aikman, or is that just the scan? >>

==
    ==

The corners are close to perfect. It is just a bad scan.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    no Johnson huh? Box must have been searched.

Seriously, congrats on the Griffeys. Very nice.
  • Options
    JeffD27177 the Griffey on the right looks like it could grade high. Nice rip you should be pretty happy with that box. You deffinetly got your $'s worth.
  • Options

<< <i>JeffD27177 the Griffey on the right looks like it could grade high. >>

I thought it had a really good shot at a super high grade (PSA 9 for sure, maybe a 10), but the print mark on his hat brim has me wondering. The t/b centering is a little off as well. But it's still a great card, and experience, for my personal collection.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    2 years ago at the National BBCE busted a case of 83 Topps Michigan test boxes. These packs cannot be searched. My box yielded 0 Ripkens, Boggs and Sandbergs. My one Gwynn RC had a giant crease. It is just the luck of the draw with vintage wax. Next time you pull 4 89 Griffeys remember some dude just bought 2 boxes with none most likely.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>2 years ago at the National BBCE busted a case of 83 Topps Michigan test boxes. These packs cannot be searched. My box yielded 0 Ripkens, Boggs and Sandbergs. My one Gwynn RC had a giant crease. It is just the luck of the draw with vintage wax. Next time you pull 4 89 Griffeys remember some dude just bought 2 boxes with none most likely. >>

I pulled six griffeys out of my last box. I'm dead serious. It wasn't from this particular rip, but it still happened. I was shocked.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally busted my box and packs today. Here are the results:
    Golf: carp
    '81 football: more crap
    '83 Topps: 2 Ryans, both are 10 candidates, 2 Schmidt, 1 Sandberg, Boggs and Gwynn. The Gwynn has a legit shot at a 10, The others are definitely 9's in my opinion. Centering was very good on most cards and there was a good player selection. There were 2 packs that I thought were questionable. One had water damage and in the other every card had a chunk missing out of it.

Overall I am very happy with the break. I will post scans once I get my new scanner up and working.

Stoney
  • Options
    Got em today absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    I finally got my cards yesterday. They were probably actually sitting by my front door for a couple days but I had a little interuption. My wife and I had a baby boy on Wed. One week early. When we finally got home yesterday and everyone situated, I busted open some packs. I won't scan anything but the highlights are:

1989 Fleer Jordan sticker sharp with great centering, but one of the corners on the back is peeled over

1981 Golf - Jack stat card OC

1983 Topps - nicely centered Gwynn - probably a 9

1989 UD - I opened half the box and the best cards I had pulled were two Tom Glavines and a Mark Mcgwire, no kidding. Then I pulled a sharp centered Griffey which was cool. Probably a 9.

I kept a lot of packs unopened for my pack collection.

And of course the highlight of the day was bringing home a perfect baby boy!
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    And of course the highlight of the day was bringing home a perfect baby boy!

• Options
    digdugdigdug Posts: 216 ✭✭
    Took my (2) 81 fb packs on roadtrip today.

1st pack pulled a poorly centered Montana with a slight ding in lower right corner.
    Still took my breath away

Haven't opened 2nd pack.

I'm out of town until Wed.
    I'll try to get a picture up sometime tonite if we have time.
    No scanner here
  • Options
    The mail lady brought my packs today. Guess I did OK from the Basketball I got the following:
    2-Jordan Stickers, 1 All Star Team Jordan, 1 regular Jordan, 3 Rodman RC and 2 Stockton RC.

Golf:2-Nicklaus #13 both OC, 2- SL Nicklaus 1 OC 1 real nice. Nothing of note in the Score FB.

Not sure how to post scans so scan are not available at this time. Scan help would be appreciated.image
  • Options

<< <i>Well I have to say this was one of the most enjoyable breaks I've had in quite some time. I just opened a 1989 UD box, and even though I had some pretty good luck, just pulling the semi-stars and players from my youth was quite enjoyable.

I opened these packs back when I was a youngster, but they were quite a bit of my allowance just for a few packs (and I had huge sweet tooth to feed) so I wasn't able to open enough packs to pull any of the big cards. This box seemed endless to me. I could go on, but I just have to say pulling that first Griffey for me was like being a kid again. Anyways, here are the rookies I pulled. No Johnson, but I had so much fun I'm going to try another box.

I have to admit I was beside myself pulling that second Griffey. It's funny because I got a beautiful auto'd Sandy Koufax RC in the mail today as well, and the Griffey is probably only a $40 card, but the thrill of seeing it fresh from a pack was priceless. I couldn't stop thinking how I had pulled TWO Griffey's. I wish I could go back in time and share one with myself as a child.

I pulled quite a few super-star cards as well (2 Nolan Ryans, a Cal Ripken checklist, 4 Bonds, 2 Sandbergs, 3 Schmidts, 2 Winfields...), so overall it was quite a success.

Thanks again for putting this together. I had a blast! >>

I was hoping for the samething... I bought a box just to pull 1 Griffey and got 0! I still have never pulled a Griffey out of a pack!
  • Options

<< <i>I believe this was my last group break. >>

I second that..
  • Options

<< <i>The mail lady brought my packs today. Guess I did OK from the Basketball I got the following:
    2-Jordan Stickers, 1 All Star Team Jordan, 1 regular Jordan, 3 Rodman RC and 2 Stockton RC.

Golf:2-Nicklaus #13 both OC, 2- SL Nicklaus 1 OC 1 real nice. >>

Good grief!! You racked up bro!!

SCANS!!!
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my 83 Topps box and 10 golf packs yesterday. The 83 box was probably one of the worst boxes I have ever opened. The only card worth mentioning was an off-centered Boggs. The golf packs were a little better. I got 1 regular Nicklaus and 2 stat leaders. The regular and one of the stat cards are o/c but the other stat card looks good.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>The mail lady brought my packs today. Guess I did OK from the Basketball I got the following:

Golf:2-Nicklaus #13 both OC, 2- SL Nicklaus 1 OC 1 real nice. Nothing of note in the Score FB.

Not sure how to post scans so scan are not available at this time. Scan help would be appreciated.image >>

Test to scan if this scans image
  • Options
    Sweet Jordans!!
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Golf Cards from last group rip