Home U.S. Coin Forum

Camera question.... Should I buy a new camera?

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
Just got a note here at work that the company store is now offering this camera to employees...

EOS Rebel XTi (Black) w/18-55mm Lens
Incredibly Advanced. Remarkably Simple.

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi offers an unbeatable combination of performance, ease-of-use and value. It has a newly designed 10.1 MP Canon CMOS sensor plus a host of new features including a 2.5-inch LCD monitor, the exclusive EOS Integrated Cleaning System featuring a Self Cleaning Sensor and Canon's Picture Style technology, all in a lightweight, ergonomic body.

The Digital Rebel XTi is proof positive that Canon continues to lead the way with their phenomenal digital SLRs.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX:

Digital Rebel XTi Camera (Black Body)
Eyecup Ef
Wide Strap EW-100DBII
Video Cable VC-100
USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
Battery Pack NB-2LH
Battery Charger CB-2LW
EOS Digital Solution Disc
Instruction Manuals
1GB memory card

For $449 (with tax in shipping $500 or so)

Now knowing I'm going to have to get another lens for coins, should I bite the big one and get a new camera? The old camera is a Canon PowerShot Pro I and doesn't need a macro lens (it has supermacro built in).

Opinions???
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Get a couple extension tubes and you can do pretty good macro with a zoom lens.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • You photos don't please you Marty? I always thought they were very OK
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    This is the camera I have. I would recommend the camera, but not that lense for coin photography. I just got a sigma 100mm macro and absolutely love it. They can be picked up on ebay from time to time for pretty cheap.

Another issue is the weight of the camera. Do you have a sturdy copystand?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• show us the best picture from the old camera!
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree with Mark about an extension tube working with that zoom lens. It will not be ideal. You will be VERY close to your subject and lighting will be difficult. But an extension tube is well under $100. No optics! Just space!

A 100mm macro lens will cost you almost as much as that camera. But will produce top quality images.

That camera is a good deal.

You have to ask yourself a serious question. Now that you will be spending somewhere around $900 for a new camera...
    Do you feel that your existing pictures could benefit to this degree. What's it WORTH to YOU.

I'd say you need to evaluate your own usage critically before you jump. It's good equipment. But will it be worth it to you?

Do you have a tripod and lighting? Are you prepared to be tempted by more SLR lenses? Will you collect the set? image
  • I have just purchased a canon S5IS with super macro................and it works great!

I am having problems with lighting (white balance) but that is me......NOT the camera
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Newbie - buy a Kodak 18% gray card. White balance on the card (either gray side or white side). Fix the WB in your camera. That's all you have to do.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very good price for a top notch camera. But you will need to spend $300-$400 on a 100 Macro lens.

This is the same set up I use.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Wes
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, your photos are close to flawless. I'm not sure what it is a new camera will improve.

peacockcoins

<< <i>That is a very good price for a top notch camera. But you will need to spend $300-$400 on a 100 Macro lens.

This is the same set up I use.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Wes >>

Utahcoin, I believe I got mine NIB for ~$200. Sigmas are a great alternative to the canon brand for lenses for much cheaper. Also, don't get a 60mm lense, you are just too close to get good lighting conditions.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marty, your photos are close to flawless. I'm not sure what it is a new camera will improve. >>

Actually what I do NEED to do is take my camera out of program mode and start using real settings! I do like my PS Pro, but that is just such a dood deal!!!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Marty, your photos are close to flawless. I'm not sure what it is a new camera will improve. >>

Actually what I do NEED to do is take my camera out of program mode and start using real settings! I do like my PS Pro, but that is just such a dood deal!!! >>

What is it you are seeking out of you photos you're not seeing now?

peacockcoins

<< <i>I do like my PS Pro, but that is just such a dood deal!!! >>

Okay, it took me a little time to figure this out. I thought you were calling the PS Pro a "dood deal" and this was some form of numismatic terminology I was not familar with.

But what you are actually saying is that the Rebel camera is a "good deal".

That's the wrong reason to buy camera equipment. If you just wait, you will find that the deals get better and better. These things get cheaper rather quickly.

Unless you have a compelling PHOTOGRAPHIC reason to upgrade...i'd suggest saving your cash or spending it on proof sets instead.

Going down the SLR equipment road...learning and using that camera...will probably cause you to want more gear. Tripod, lighting, stand, more lenses, gizmos. It adds up quick. Are you prepared for that?
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Copper and Toned coins are driving me nuts! I have no problems with the proofs, but copper is what I need to work on...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camera's, like coins, lead you on a neverending upgrade path....image Cheers, RickO
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Not sure the quality of photos will change, sounds like the features that make a DSLR so nice are on your camera and you have not taken the time to learn how to use them.

DSLR will definitely speed things up once learned though. Manual focus is awesome.

If you are going to do the DSLR thing I'd actually wait till you can get the next model up. The XSi has an image preview so you don't have to look through the eye piece (Useful when you have hot lights near the lens). The preview allows a temporary 5 or 10x zoom so you can manually focus on details that are hard to see in the view finder.

For now I'd suggest really learning your existing camera. Learn how to manually adjust shutterspeed, aperture, exposure, white balance, focus etc..

If your photos still look the same then start working on lighting, if no change then maybe it's time for a DSLR.
  • phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    (I won't profess to being able to take a good picture for a long time - but here is some copper from an XSi (darn close to the XTi))

imageimage

XSi
    1/125
    F8.0
    0+/-
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Flip a coin to decide image

3.2mp is pretty lame by todays standards. Do you use a camera for anything other than coins?
    You might be surprised by the detail you can get with the supplied lens. Really depends what the minimum distance you can focus with it.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I firmly believe that everybody needs more camera toys.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Here's way more info than you need......I will add that price quote is a great price for this new camera

Conclusion - Pros
    Superb resolution, good per-pixel sharpness (especially in raw files)
    Good tonal response and dynamic range
    Trademark Canon CMOS noise free images, remain detailed even at high sensitivities
    Optional high ISO NR removes all chroma noise
    Viewfinder bigger and brighter than predecessors
    New features (live view, spot metering, MyMenu, Highlight Tone Priority, 14-bit raw) lift it above the typical 'entry level' and move closer to 40D territory
    Improved continuous shooting, 3.5 fps and better buffering
    Feels very fast and responsive in use
    Good battery life
    Compact, sharp stabilized kit lens (though it can't match the sensor's superb resolving capabilities)
    ISO indication in viewfinder (finally!)
    Lots of external controls including new ISO button give instant access to commonly changed functions
    Contrast-detect focus in live view (though see cons, below)
    Bright, clear 3.0-inch screen and clear, logical menu system

Conclusion - Cons
    Average automatic white balance performance, still very poor under incandescent light
    Limited exposure compensation range (+/- 2.0 EV)
    Contrast detect AF so slow it's useless for most types of photography
    Metering has tendency to overexpose in very bright, contrasty conditions
    Default JPEG output may be a little 'over processed' for some tastes (raw far more flexible)
    Flash must be up for AF assist lamp (although AF is good even in low light)
    Automatic AF point selection unpredictable (use center AF, it's safer)
    Occasional total focus failures (in our case only 5 or 6 shots in almost 2000)
    New Auto Lighting Optimizer doesn't really seem to do anything
    No mass storage USB support
    A little pricey

Detail (D-SLR) Rating (out of 10)
    Build quality 8.0
    Ergonomics & handling 8.0
    Features 8.5
    Image quality 9.0
    Performance (speed) 8.5
    Value 8.5

Highly Recommended

Store
    Dell Home $799.99
    Abe's of Maine $719.00
    US1Camera $669.99
    Buydig.com $696.00
    42nd Street Photo $695.00
    Circuit City $749.99
    dbuys.com $678.00
    OneCall.com $799.99
    TriStateCamera.com $779.95
    PCNation.com $729.00
    Newegg.com $769.99

<< <i>Copper and Toned coins are driving me nuts! I have no problems with the proofs, but copper is what I need to work on... >>

Analyzing the problem like this will produce the best results.

Marks' book has specific details on photographing tough coins. Shiny copper. Dark copper. Toners. Get that book; it may be all you need. That, a little lighting and a little care in placing that lighting.

The Rebel will not automatically make photographing those coins easier. It is a matter of techique.

For example, I find that I catch the luster on shiny copper when I use fairly distant light sources (more of a point source, less diffuse). Careful placement at the correct angle while looking through the viewfinder.

Dark copper? Simple. Underexpose. Try to get relatively even diffuse lighting. There is generally no luster to capture.

Toners? Axial lighting will capture the color the best. A plate of glass at a 45 degree angle and diffuse even light can accomplish this with your camera. Marks' book gives details on the setup. You will need post processing to eliminate the glare on the slab.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to steer you away from buying a camera. I'm trying to address the concerns you have with your photography.

<< <i>Copper and Toned coins are driving me nuts! I have no problems with the proofs, but copper is what I need to work on... >>

Sounds like more of an issue with the lighting than anything else. I'll post some pics of copper that I just took when I get home tonight. BTW, i have the Rebel XT, so the XTi would be an upgrade from mine image

• One thing I found to be a great forgiver in a camera is Image Stabilization.... For example here is one of my buddies I just snapped:

----HAND HELD

----on a windowsill on a cloudy, rainy Massachusetts day

----in a capsule (note reflections)

----not a prize winner but sharp enough to get the true coin across

----camera is a Canon SD790 IS

These were real quick photos of the lincoln I had nearby... The lense isn't quite square, but you can get the idea. Ohhh and I should clean the slab next time image And I'll throw in a barber half while i'm at it...and a california fractional just for fun... The images are straight off the camera, no editing was done but cropping.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file