Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tim Lincecum -- the real thing?

First post to the Message Board. Long-time collector of baseball cards. George Brett is my all-time favorite ...

Tim Lincecum is the first pitcher I've really liked in a loooong time. He looks to me like the "real deal" -- very much a "pitcher" and not just a hard thrower. Exceptionally flexible and athletic (and small, I know that). Reminds me of a right-handed Ron Guidry -- maybe even a right-handed Sandy Koufax! I have a feeling that he's gonna be good for a long time -- that's right, I think he won't break down. Any thoughts?

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    "maybe even a right-handed Sandy Koufax"

Great pitcher who had to quit so he could have the use of his arm after baseball. Let's hope he's not too much like Koufax.
  • Options
    Koufax was nothing more than a hypochondriac. Would loved to see his numbers if he wasn't so scared of his arm falling off.
  • Options
    I would never put my money on a pitcher...so many start off and look good and then flop....give him 5 to 10 years and then decide...
    I think many thought the way you do about lincecum about volquez....
  • Options
    Alex Fernandez, nuff said
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Mark Fidrych . . .

However, if Lincecum doesn't have arm troubles, he may end up being an absolute animal. I love his stuff and his demeanor. But with his delivery, I don't see how he can go injury free.
  • Options
    When I watch him pitch, I think of Saberhagen. Similar stuff but injury proned.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    There was a great SI article on why his delivery actually is believed to be the lease stress delivery in MLB. It states that it should be taught to others and that with current technology they can predict with high accuracy which pitchers will break down. The problem with Lincecum is that he is so flexible and athletic alot of pitchers wouldn't be able to use his delivery effectively.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Koufax was nothing more than a hypochondriac. Would loved to see his numbers if he wasn't so scared of his arm falling off. >>

You're kidding right?? If not do a little reading on the subject before you spout off next time.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I've been following him for a while and think is the real deal (as long as he stays healthy which he has so far). Great stuff and a lot talent. If he was able to play on a winning team I think he would be a 20 game winner.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember when Mike Harkey of the Cubs was supposed to be the real thing
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember when Mike Harkey of the Cubs was supposed to be the real thing >>

He might have been called the next real thing but the stats don't line up...

Mike's first 43 games 16 Wins / 11 Losses / 148 Ks / 95 BB / 3.14 ERA over 4 seasons
    Tim's First 47 games 18 Wins / 8 Loses / 317 Ks / 119 BB / 3.35 ERA over 2 seasons

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember when Mike Harkey of the Cubs was supposed to be the real thing >>

Maybe if the dumba** didnt do cartwheels in the outfield during batting practice he might still be pitching today!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It's hard to tell yet whether he's the next Koufax, but at least for this year, he's one of the most exciting pitchers the Giants have trotted out to the mound since Vida Blue. Jason Schmidt was awesome when he was healthy as well, but Lincecum is more fun to watch.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Lincecum is the best thing about the sorry Giants.
  • Options

<< <i>Lincecum is the best thing about the sorry Giants. >>

True. Tim Lincecum, and Matt Cain too.

It sucks when, as a Giants fan, I'm getting excited about position player "prospects" who might become AVERAGE MLB players at best.

There are a few gems on the farm for the Giants right now, but it'll be a few years before they're ready for Show.

Nate Shierholtz might be the first one called up. His minorleague stats for this year are far better than anyone in SF right now. He was picked for Team USA this year.

• Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Also as a Giants' fan, here is a nice stat from our local beat writer talking about last night's game:

"The Giants did have a red-letter moment in an otherwise drab defeat. In the seventh inning, Fred Lewis hit a solo homer into the arcade in right-center. It was the Giants' first home run in two weeks, since Bengie Molina hit a pair against Washington".
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm at the Phone Booth right now watching Lincecum. Aaron Rowand has already staked him to a 2 run lead. I think he's really gonna be good, especially once he hits puberty.
  • Options
    well...he just struck out the side in the second. Looks like he is just padding his SO lead

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>I think he's really gonna be good, especially once he hits puberty. >>

Heh. My wife likes to say "he's really good for a 12 year old."

• Options
    Well , whatever the case , at least as a fan, you can enjoy it for as long as it will last and hopefully it lasts a long time .

I have similar hopes for Joba, I really enjoy watching him pitch and I hope he stays healthy too .

I hate to see a potentially great pitcher have a serious and potentially career ending injury .

Or anyone for that matter , but it's part of the game/life .
  • Options
    And Tim adds another W and another 8 K's to his season totals.

I like how he strikes out the side to end his day. image

• Options
    Chalk up another impressive (and nail biting) Win for Lincecum. Wow, he is a tough competitor. image

8 Innings
    5 Hits
    8 K's

Charlie
  • Options
    This kid is amazing...
    another win...one earned run and 10Ks

m.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    If he played on a real team he might win the Cy YOung!
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards!
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    Another dominating performance tonight...

8 innings, 8 k's, 0 runs. Win # 14.

He further lowered his NL leading ERA, and picked up his MLB leading 200th strikeout of the year.

Seeing Lincecum mow down a team from the mound is more fun than watching Bonds hit massive juice-infused bombs into McCovey Cove. I just hope Lincecum sticks around for a while.

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Giants will find a way to lose him or ruin him....and Im a Giants fan.

SF and great pitchers dont mix.
  • Options
    Listening to what opposing hitters have to say after a game is one good way to tell how tough it is to hit a certain pitcher. Here's what Jody Gerut had to say after last night's game -- and he's a .295 hitter who did NOT strike out against Lincecum:

<< <i>"He just doesn't miss very often over the plate and when he does it's going 95 (mph)," San Diego's Jody Gerut said after going 0-for-4. "It's different to have success against him. You basically have to wait for him to make a mistake." >>

Wow-- that's pretty high praise ...

Charlie
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Giants will find a way to lose him or ruin him....and Im a Giants fan.

SF and great pitchers dont mix. >>

I don't know if this is true. They've had some great pitchers over the year and didn't ruin all of them....in fact I've been telling anyone who will listen that I think CC Sabathia could end up in SF next year....just think of the rotation they will have then. Wish he would come back to Cleveland, my team but don't think it will happen.
  • Options

<< <i>in fact I've been telling anyone who will listen that I think CC Sabathia could end up in SF next year.... >>

While that would be cool, I think it's highly unlikely. Sabathia would probably love SF as it's not far from his home in Fairfield, but... I don't see the Giants signing Sabathia, unless he takes a major pay-cut. Sabathia would probably want more than, or close to, what Zito makes, and I'd rather see the Giants give that money to a proven bat who could help put some life into the offence.

Maybe some GM in baseball will get hooked on crack and decide to trade for Zito AND his contract?

• Options
    "The Freak" got his 15th win tonight in another great performance:

7 innings, 1 earned run, 10 strikeouts.

Giants were trailing 0-1 in the bottom of the 7th when Molina and Sandoval hit back-to-back bombs to put the Giants on the board (Sandoval's first major league HR).

Lincecum leads the majors with 210 strikeouts, and is tied with Cliff Lee for the best ERA in the majors (2.43).

• Options
    Dude threw 132 pitches in this game, be careful - he's still young, no need to do that to an ace like him when you are out of the race. He is the real thing, but the MGR needs to be a little more in tune with the game and how many pitches his money maker has tossed. I hope this doesn't cost Lincecum an injury - especially if this becomes a habit from his MGR/pitching coach/bench coach. JMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>Dude threw 132 pitches in this game, be careful - he's still young, no need to do that to an ace like him when you are out of the race. >>

The pitch count on Lincecum has been a big debate. Lincecum funky delivery actually MINIMIZES stress on his arm. Apparently his dad developed it for him when he was growing up, and this delivery let him be a total workhorse in college, where he was used to throwing 140+ pitches a game.

Funny thing is, I think the coaching staff gives Timmy the hook too early sometimes. It's nice to see them let him stick it out and see what he can do. Considering how BAD the Giants middle relief is, Tim's gonna need to learn to work into the 8th inning so he stops getting hosed with no-decisions.

• Options
    Darn...he is good.

Now let's start the debate...is he worth of this years CY Young? I know everyone thinks Web should get it but...Lincecum's numbers are just as good or better other than his win total which is still rising.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Darn...he is good.

Now let's start the debate...is he worth of this years CY Young? I know everyone thinks Web should get it but...Lincecum's numbers are just as good or better other than his win total which is still rising. >>

Is he worthy? most definitely
    Will he win it? I highly doubt it. The fact that Arizona will probably win their division helps Webb. I know that's not Lincecum's fault, but it does weigh in the decision-making. (see 2005 Cy Young)

If he continues to cut down on his walks, he'll be virtually unstoppable. But Brandon Webb led the league in walks 2 years before winning the Cy Young.

I see a Cy Young in his future. Great to watch.
  • Options

<< <i>Now let's start the debate...is he worth of this years CY Young? I know everyone thinks Web should get it but...Lincecum's numbers are just as good or better other than his win total which is still rising. >>

If Lincecum can pull off another 5 wins and end the season with a 20-3 record, and still have the NL lead in K's and ERA, I think he'll get it. If he mixes in a no-hitter or a perfect game into those 5 wins, he'll be a lock. image

Lincecum's win total is a direct factor of the team he plays for. In games where he gave up 1 or no earned runs, Lincecum has 9 wins and 6 no-decisions.

In contrast, in 1-or-zero earned run games.
    Brandon Webb = 9 wins, 1 no-decision
    Cliff Lee = 8 wins, 3 no-decisions.

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    No doubt he is in the running but I think CC will get some votes as crazy as that sounds. It's a two horse race right now and Webb has an edge in that his team is winning. I think Tim's only shot is if he leads the NL in ERA, WHIP and K's, as I don't think he can catch up on wins but if he gets within 1 or 2 games of Webb he will have a chance.

That being said, Webb's season is just too good to say he doesn't deserve it. If he fails down the stretch (like he did last start) and Arizona gets caught then Tim has it.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>I think Tim's only shot is if he leads the NL in ERA, WHIP and K's, >>

Tim's 11th in the NL (20th in MLB) with his 1.18 WHIP. He had a sub 1.0 WHIP through all of August though, but as good as i think Lincecum is, I don't think he'll lower his WHIP all the way down to a league-leading number.

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dude threw 132 pitches in this game, be careful - he's still young, no need to do that to an ace like him when you are out of the race. >>

The pitch count on Lincecum has been a big debate. Lincecum funky delivery actually MINIMIZES stress on his arm. Apparently his dad developed it for him when he was growing up, and this delivery let him be a total workhorse in college, where he was used to throwing 140+ pitches a game.

Funny thing is, I think the coaching staff gives Timmy the hook too early sometimes. It's nice to see them let him stick it out and see what he can do. Considering how BAD the Giants middle relief is, Tim's gonna need to learn to work into the 8th inning so he stops getting hosed with no-decisions. >>

In response to the pitch count debate over Lincecum, there was a 2 part series by a local SF columnist this week about the lack of complete games. Good read for anyone interested.

Part 1

Part 2
  • Options
    I'm happy to say that I started this thread 3 weeks ago with my very first post to the message board.

Geez, Lincecum just keeps gettin' better and better. As I said 3 weeks ago, I've been following baseball for a loooong time (mid 1960's) and Timmy is one of the few pitchers I've ever thought was really, really, really exceptional.

Here's another way to view the NL Cy Young race: Webb has 4 more wins and 2 more losses than Lincecum. A record of 4W's and 2L's is good -- but it's NOT enough to be a "vote-changing factor" when considering Cy Young credentials. When you consider that every other factor IS in Lincecum's favor (e.g. better ERA, more Strikeouts, lower run support by his team-mates, etc.), then it becomes clear that Lincecum really has been more dominant than Webb.

If the "Wins differential" gets reduced to 3 (and I believe it will), then Lincecum becomes a lock to win the award.

Charlie
  • Options
    The Sports Illustrated article made me believe he will be a great pitcher

The San Francisco Giants complete lack of talent make me believe no one will notice once his won-loss record falls more in line with the other pitchers

Dave Stieb was the real thing, too
    Tom
  • Options
    Aragh! If you don't count the 4th inning, he had a pretty good day. image

5 innings, 5 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 walks, 6 k's. At least the Giants bats woke up and saved him from getting tagged with the loss.

His ERA jumped .17, but he still leads the NL.

Well, not enough to totally derail his CYA hopes, but it doesn't help much. With Webb and Lincecum blowing up right after Sabathia tossed the 1 hitter though... Sabathia's in a great position.

• Options
    Wow, Webb is apparently trying to give the NL Cy Young away!

In the past 3 games, Webb's ERA has ballooned from 2.74 to 3.41. His WHIP has blown up to 1.20 from 1.09.

Lincecum's on the hill Monday night against the D-Backs. The last time he faced them, he struck out 13 batters in 7 innings.

• Options
    It's gonna be a close race for the Cy young this year with the way CC has pitched since coming over from the AL, ie Sutcliffe for the Cubs in 84 I beleive? I think if CC close out the season with another 4 starts the way he pitched so far he may get the award
    Long time unopened pack collector
  • Options
    If Lincecum wins Monday night, he'll become the favorite in the NL Cy Young race. He might even be the favorite as I type this.

The other primary contenders are starting to fade in one way or another:
    Webb's ERA has really ballooned in the last couple weeks while he's pitched horribly in his last 3 games.
    Peavy has a great ERA but he's got a losing record after losing a tough one today.
    Sabathia simply won't have enough NL wins since he switched leagues in mid-season.

Lincecum has been consistently good all year on a really bad team. He leads the NL in 2 of the 3 "Triple Crown of pitching" categories -- and no pitcher has led in all 3 categories since Dwight Gooden in 1985. If he wins 2 more games and loses 2 more games while maintaining the league lead in strikeouts, Lincecum will win the award.

Charlie
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Royals could have drafted him instead of Luke Hochevar. Luke isn't doing badly, but of course Lincecum has had much more success so far. It'll be interesting to see how it works out in the long run, as I think Hochevar could become a consistent 15 game winner.
  • Options
    I'd give it to Lincecum. and i'd consider an MVP vote for Sabathia!
  • Options
    A great bounce-back from last week, and another strong argument for his Cy Young candidacy.

8 1/3 innings, 1 earned run, 9 strike outs, and win #16.

• Options
    Yep, after another stellar performance by Tim Lincecum on Sept 8th, I'm even more certain: Lincecum is now the favorite to win the NL Cy Young award!

If you've never had the pleasure of watching him, please try to do so. He's amazing!

Charlie
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Great performance tonight by Lincecum. If he wasn't already the front runner for the Cy Young, I'd imagine he is now.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. 138 pitches. Hmmm?