Home Metal Detecting
Options

What is the best MD for a newbie,....................and have you had success searching your parents

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
My parents bought their home in 1966. The home was built in the 1920's. They bought the home from a couple who had lived in the home for over 40 years who were the second owner. My dad still lives in the home (mom passed in 1995).

I have never metal detected before and have thought about doing so on my parents' property. The home is in a neighborhood with subdivided lots, curbs, gutters and alleys. The lot is rectangular and deep, with the home sitting towards the front of the property. A grass strip separates the front sidewalk from the curb along the street. At one time Oak trees lined the street. A detached garage is located adjacent to the house. Sidewalks lead up to the front of the house, along the side of the house to the adjacent garages and from the back of the house to the alley in back (as a kid in the mid 1960's I found some beat up Indian Head Cents in the alley). A clothes line is located on the right side of the back yard extending from the house towards the alley. When my parents bought the property a vegatable garden was located on the right side of the backyard between the end of the clothes line and the alley. My mom planted in that garden and one day found a 1913S Lincoln cent in the dirt (probably F to VF condition) which she gave to me [I still have it]. A cherry tree was located behind the garage on the left side of the back yard. A huge Oak tree was also in the back yard and a rope swing hung down from the branches.

My dad is thinking of selling.

I can only imagine all of the activity (hanging clothes; planting, tending and harvesting from the garden; picking cherries; swinging on the rope swing; talking along a fence line with neighbors; cutting grass, planting flowers in the planter areas) that took place on the property from the time the home was built until my parents bought the place. I can also imagine all of the coins (including, maybe, 1914D cents, 1916D dimes, etc.) that may have been dropped on the property and still are sitting there waiting to be discovered. The house is in Denver by the way, not too far from the mint.

Thus I have this idea that when I next visit my dad at his home, I will want to take a stab at metal detecting on the property. My dad has encouragaged me to do so.

So, my two questions in the title to this post. What MD should I consider using when I detect on my dad's property? Also, have you detected on yhour parents property? If so, any luck and did they let you keep the booty?

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had success on the ol' family farm, which has a farmhouse built in 1849. The coolest find was this:

Other than that, I was digging wheaties there left and right. There's other homestead on the property from houses that aren't there any more, but I think our farmhouse was the original. Why haven't I hit it like crazy? It's over 80 acres-- a lotta ground to cover and I can only detect there when I'm on vacation.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    i would recomend an ace 250 or a whites prism, both about 200 bucks ,and then i would search at your parents house and find some lost goodies ....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    >>The best metal detector available is still only as good as the person using it.<<
    Read: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/~jesse/treasure/misc/howdetector.html

You might check local shops..and rent a detector.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Sanction.. a worthy and fun endeavor... follow CoC's advice.. and let us know the results. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Don't forget to detect the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. If that little strip is owned by the city you might be able to detect that strip up and down the entire street, but check first. Good luck! Maybe you'll find some toys that you'd lost, or perhaps a little cache of coins that you buried and forgot about.

Bob