Home Metal Detecting
Options

Have you ever found an old car in the woods

or just sitting abandoned in a field somewhere? It occured to me the other day that there could be a small hidden treasure under the seats, the rear seat in particular. I know of a '53 chevy out in the woods and I expect I'll visit it come hunting season, too far a walk with all the skeeters. I may not find anything or I may find something spectacular. The point is, don't overlook a good potential.
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point... though I am not sure you could use your MD in such a case...image but sight hunting may reveal some coins. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I would likely be so enamored with the old car that I would completly forget to look for any change in it!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Wow Ken, I never thought of those possibilities. The Maine woods of full of old junkers that may in fact be full of treasure! Hmmm I think it's time for me to take another walk around the old homestead. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Mary.. do not forget your bottle of wine... makes for a pleasant afternoon... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Watch out for the critters that like to make there home's in those cars, snakes, bees, ants etc. I once pulled the backseat out of an old Mustang and there was a large and very disturbed bee hive under it. Luckily up here in northern NY no poisonous snakes-seen quite a few of those in old cars. My theory on change and old cars is that before the 1970's there weren't as many drive thru's or drive up windows, hence less change lost in the seats of cars. The older the cars I've run across the less change under the seats and carpets, the newer the cars the more change. I did find a $25 savings bond once under the seat of a 66 Ford Galaxie 7.0L, it was in pretty rough shape and unsigned.
  • Options

<< <i>I once pulled the backseat out of an old Mustang and there was a large and very disturbed bee hive under it. >>

Hah, a couple weeks ago I bought a 1978 Chevy from a guy who used to be a firefighter and it has strobe lights from when the guy was a firefighter. My buddy wants the strobe lights for safety when he does residential plowing in the winter (he was going to try and get orange lenses for the lights since I believe the blue strobes are strictly fire/police). So this afternoon I was bored so I decided to try and pull the strobe lights out for him. Started unscrewing the front grill, and got one screw out. Started unscrewing the other side and I looked a little to the left, and about 6 inches from where my hands were was a bees nest about 4 inches in diameter with about 20 yellow jackets sitting on it watching me. How I didn't notice the nest until now I don't know and how I didn't get stung I don't know. The trucks been sitting for five years and after five years stuff starts to not work, so I've been doing some work to the truck, a lot of which was very close to the area with the nest. Once or twice I was standing on the bumper (the truck's too tall to work on the motor without standing on the bumper) with the bottom of my shorts about the height of the bees nest, which would have been a nasty surprise had they decided to attack.

Moral of the story, be careful guys, you never know where there might be a bees nest since it took me the better part of a month to find this one.
    I do web development and freelance programming, please PM me if you need a website or web application.

Want To Buy:
    Connecticut Nationals (Large and Small size)
    Connecticut Obsoletes
  • Options
    Living in NYC you occasionaly find an abandoned car on the beach or in the parks. You pretty much know why that happened.image
  • Options
    When mountain biking with a few buddies a couple years ago, we discovered a row of 6 old Packards, and about 50 yards away an early truck from probably around the 1920's.
  • Options
    I had to add to this thread… I have a hunting camp in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Not far from the road near my cabin is a 1936 Dodge sedan that had been on the property since the 1950's. A local boy around 17 years old asked me if he could have the car. Sure, I said, but it must be worth something. He asked me what I wanted for it. I told him that my outhouse was chewed up by porcupines, and I needed a new one. He said sounds like a fair trade. Well after he left I went over to the car and take a good look at it. It had a couple of trees growing up from the holes in the floor. As I looked at the floor I found a Mercury dime, than another. I than began to remove all the mess that was on the rest of the floor looking for more. All together I found 3 Mercury dimes 6 Wheat pennies. As to the car getting off of the property. The boy came over with a saw and cut all the trees from around the car and tried to drag it out of the woods with a chain and pickup. Well the car just broke apart into pieces. He than gave up and took just what was worth keeping. Funny thing is I found 36 cents out of that 36 Dodge and got a new outhouse for it.

Paul

• Options
    When I was a teenager there was an old shack on the hill near my house that had been a garage at one point in it's life. It was in the middle of the woods and there were no roads leading to it, but there was a 1956 Cadillac rusting away inside.

Also, my sister's ex-inlaws own a large farm in Oregon's Willamette Valley. From the 1940's through the 1970's (and maybe even later), everytime they bought a new Lincoln (that's the only type of car they would buy) they'd park the previous Lincoln in the field next to their house. There was nothing really wrong with these cars, just that they'd been replaced with a newer model. Needless to say, the elements eventually got to them.

Bob
  • Options
    Well.. sorta got rid of crap... two ways... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Oh sure. I find old cars in the woods all the time.
    Get loads of old coins out of em.
    Sometimes it's a little gross, going through the pockets of clothes that are falling off the skeletons, but hey.......... you get your old coins for free where you can.

Ray
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    On a serious note, I have an old car that's brand new. A 1972 Dodge Monaco Brougham with just 4062 miles on it.
    Some of you may have seen where I put it on the BST Misc.
    Now, in the trunk I found a bunch of rolls of brand new 1972 Lincoln cents. Don't remember how many rolls.
    I just left them there. I don't collect Pennies. This is true.

Ray
  • Options
    Ray, I graduated in 1972. If you're interested in selling a roll (or 2) of those pennies, please let me know! Mary

Rick...No....I've not had a glass of wine. Yet. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>On a serious note, I have an old car that's brand new. A 1972 Dodge Monaco Brougham with just 4062 miles on it.
    Some of you may have seen where I put it on the BST Misc.
    Now, in the trunk I found a bunch of rolls of brand new 1972 Lincoln cents. Don't remember how many rolls.
    I just left them there. I don't collect Pennies. This is true.

Ray >>

About 3 years ago my son bought a car from N.H.. When he cleaned it he took the seats out and he found close to 10 bucks, 5 in change and also a 5 dollar bill along with 14 N.H. toll tokens. The girl that owned the car previous was a slob, in no uncertain terms. So, if that car had been left abandoned it would have had a small goldmine hidden within.
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I went out a few months ago to my father in law's place and I dug a quarter and I still got a strong signal. So I kept diggin and diggin and about fifteen minutes later I came across an old car. Shallow grave of sorts. So I gave up. We plan on getting the back hoe out there to see what it is exactly.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had to add to this thread… I have a hunting camp in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Not far from the road near my cabin is a 1936 Dodge sedan that had been on the property since the 1950's. A local boy around 17 years old asked me if he could have the car. Sure, I said, but it must be worth something. He asked me what I wanted for it. I told him that my outhouse was chewed up by porcupines, and I needed a new one. He said sounds like a fair trade. Well after he left I went over to the car and take a good look at it. It had a couple of trees growing up from the holes in the floor. As I looked at the floor I found a Mercury dime, than another. I than began to remove all the mess that was on the rest of the floor looking for more. All together I found 3 Mercury dimes 6 Wheat pennies. As to the car getting off of the property. The boy came over with a saw and cut all the trees from around the car and tried to drag it out of the woods with a chain and pickup. Well the car just broke apart into pieces. He than gave up and took just what was worth keeping. Funny thing is I found 36 cents out of that 36 Dodge and got a new outhouse for it.

Paul >>

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaahaaa! image That is the funniest thing that I have heard all day long!!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I went out a few months ago to my father in law's place and I dug a quarter and I still got a strong signal. So I kept diggin and diggin and about fifteen minutes later I came across an old car. Shallow grave of sorts. So I gave up. We plan on getting the back hoe out there to see what it is exactly. >>

I wonder if you'll find a body in that buried car.

Bob
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    That...would be...awesome! image
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful of snakes and spiders! It might be a better hunt when it's winter and not too snowy.

I have thought of that idea, but never put it into practice. I have heard of guys who worked in junkyards finding silver under the seats of old junkers, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a similar vein, when I was a teenager and my folks had a farm in the mountains of North Carolina, we discovered an old, abandoned, and long-forgotten moonshiners' still from the Prohibition era out in the rhododendron thickets. It was situated in a hollow below and behind our house, maybe 300 yards away, and yet totally hidden from all view. My friends and I hacked and trudged our way back there. All the copper tubing and such was gone, but there were some old barrels whose staves had collapsed, leaving the iron bands circling them loosely. A dented old coffeepot lay inside a circle of stones that had no doubt once been a fire pit.

And... under one tree was... a CHEST!

It was a big metal footlocker. We got really excited!

We tried to pry open what remained of the lock, but before we could manage that task, the footlocker moved slightly, and a steady stream of angry yellowjackets began to boil out of one of the rust holes in the bottom of it! I got stung two or three times. We hightailed it out of there!

I went back in the dead of winter, with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. This time I got the lid open, and more wildlife came violently pouring out! No yellowjackets this time, though. There were dozens of little white-footed mice, who'd built themselves a cozy nest. For critters who probably should have been hibernating at the time, they sure woke up really quick, and clambered all over the tree, and almost up my pants leg and arm, as well!

So I left this "treasure chest" behind again. Eventually I found it uninhabited enough that I dragged it up the hill and through the thicket, back home. Mom was less than thrilled, particularly as the "treasure" inside was nothing but the remains of various yellowjacket and mouse nests.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I found this yesterday afternoon and as soon as I can get a door open I will check under the seats.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I went out a few months ago to my father in law's place and I dug a quarter and I still got a strong signal. So I kept diggin and diggin and about fifteen minutes later I came across an old car. Shallow grave of sorts. So I gave up. We plan on getting the back hoe out there to see what it is exactly. >>

I wonder if you'll find a body in that buried car. >>

Jimmy Hoffa ?
  • Options
    Those old cars in the woods usually have loose change... but bees and critters do love them for some reason. I have searched a few... usually late fall though. (That is hunting season... so find them then) Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I lived in Maryland for awhile when I was a teenager. My younger brother was an old car afficianado, and he liked to go through junkyards looking for 1950's and earlier cars, there was one place up in northern Calvert county that had cars only up to about 1960 or so, I have to wonder if those seats in the cars had been checked for change. I remember at one junkyard we did check the seats on a whim and did pull out some clad pocket change.

I know of another place in St. Mary's county where there is a Ford Model A from ca. 1932 or so under a bridge, or at least there was when I lived there.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know where there is a Cadillac.

But i'm not going to search it for coins. I'll leave that to someone else.

That is not poison oak or anything horrible like that. Just a large thorny blackberry bramble.

• Options
    Hey Ken, good luck with your search of that car you found. Most likely you'll only find small date coins. lol
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Dayum.. that caddy is one horrific mess... get out the Round-up.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I know where there is a Cadillac.

But i'm not going to search it for coins. I'll leave that to someone else.

That is not poison oak or anything horrible like that. Just a large thorny blackberry bramble.

image >>

Christines cousin?
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    ~~~~~I don't like spiders and snakes...~~~~~ image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That Cadillac doesn't look too bad-provided the plants havn't made their way inside! It's possible too that they may have rusted holes right in that can't been seen, by the wet leaves laying on the metal. What's visible looks good though.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I doubt it would pass inspection.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    My dad had some hunting property in Michigan when I was a kid. We found an old ambulance from the early 50's out there. Looked for treasures in it until I got yelled at for digging in the six inch thick layer of animal deposits. Never found anything.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    I find cars out in the desert quite often. Unfortunately they are almost always stolen elsewhere and dumped here
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid in the early 80's a friend of the family owned a small junkyard. My friends and I used to tear the backseat out of every classic car we could get our hands on to look for silver.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    so what did you find?
  • Options
    When I was in the military in the UK I was in Bomb disposal,we were doing a training exersice in south east England and we found a car buried about 24 foot down!!!!! No bodies in it though!
  • Options
    so did you check under the seats?