Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A quick MS70 experiment for those that don't think it turns copper blue

This took me all of two minutes to perform image

I know that with red copper....a small cleaning with MS70 can simply produce a cleaner, redder looking cent, but with RB and Brown copper especially...the application of MS70 can severly alter the color and overall look of a cent. I used a 1957 Brown Cent that was straight out of an original mint set and I did my best to keep the lighting the same for both shots.

All I did was swab the obverse and the reverse of the cent a few times and it immediatly started turning a purple blue in appearance so I rinsed the coin in distilled water and patted dry. The reverse which had some nice sunset toning now looks pink with purple highlights. The obverse was very interesting because it looked mark free in the image...to the point of me questioning if I had just ruined a nice MS67BN cent.....but once the thick skin was removed.....quite a few marks including a good size hit on the chin were noticable. I think this was a good experiment for two reasons.....it clearly showed that in the case of Brown copper....MS70 can indeed change the color to Blue....and just as importantly....it shows what can be hiding on the surface of a coin underneath a thick layer of toning. image

For anyone that thinks there are two coins...just look at the rim nick to the right of the date.....it's exactly the same on both coins....but most of the other marks are not visable on the toned coin image

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    the next part of the experiment should be sending it to a TPG to see if it gets slabbed or bagged.
  • Options
    A nicely done chemistry experiment, and the color photographs are very convincing. Does MS70 impart artificial coloration on other metals (nickel, alloyed silver, alloyed gold)?
  • Options

<< <i>A nicely done chemistry experiment, and the color photographs are very convincing. Does MS70 impart artificial coloration on other metals (nickel, alloyed silver, alloyed gold)? >>

I haven't tried it before.....but I am going to say I doubt it...I think copper is just so much more reactive and when you strip away the skin....you get purple or blue. I'll test it on a nickel as I have plenty of mint set toned Nickels as well....

I don't think this coin would grade at PCGS or NGC with this look....especially becuase the reverse now has that pink tint of cleaned copper. I can say that depending on the final outcome....I could see some of these coins getting holdered and think we have all herd the stories and seen the examples of ones in TPG plastic. image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the next part of the experiment should be sending it to a TPG to see if it gets slabbed or bagged. >>

PCGS approved... and CAC stickered!!!!

I highly recommend it!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played with MS70 on an AU Franklin half to create a coin that was cleaned on the right side and original on the left (for use in a grading/problem coin class). I wiped the right side with MS70 and got a clean, bright surface. I submitted it to NCS to be put in a details holder marked "Cleaned" ... because it was obviously cleaned on one side (I use the holders to make handling the coins easier).

Imagine my surprise when it was returned to me in an NGC-58 holder! Now it goes in my "they got it wrong" box right next to the PVC-laden Jefferson nickel once body-bagged by NGC, submitted to NCS, then returned in an NGC holder with the PVC still on the coin! Dang!

Lane

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "MS 70 does not change the color of your coin but does remove
    surface contamination and tarnish"--the back of the MS 70 bottle

I think it did change the color, obviously, more than remove contamination and tarnish

"industrial strength coin brightner" -from the front of the bottle

great demonstration Shane, thanks

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have watched these threads with interest over the past several years as various collectors line up on each side of the fence on the MS-70 blue / no blue debate. I have interest because I do indeed use MS-70 on several types of coins (proof silver, Morgans, warnicks, and an occasional BU silver coin that has the 'look' I know will be benefitted by MS-70). Years ago I experimented with it on copper and have always known it was the fastest way to turn brown copper into blue.

I was fascinated by the threads written here as I was NOT a coin doc, just a serious collector who saw the obvious. That DOESN'T mean it is the only way that copper turns blue. I am sure there are several other routes (Snow describes old-time hoards of Indians in his recent Whitman book on Indians) to blue copper, but there is no doubt. Want to turn a glossy AU-58 Indian into one of those indigo examples you see in these threads? Hit it with a rolled Q-Tip and a dose of MS-70.

It isn't good / bad, right / wrong, or anything else. It just IS. The confusion in the hobby lies in the fact that both natural and quite unnatural elements can turn copper blue, and one of those elements is obviously altering the surface. And . . . it is hard to tell the difference (hence the spate of time where the TPGs were certifying these blue beasts).

By the way . . . as hypocritical as it may sound to some, I have a penchant for original surfaces. But, once you 70 a Frankie proof or warnick that is gunked up and clouded over and restore it to an 'as-minted' look, it's hard not to become a believer.

Nice experiment . . .and as always, a good educational thread . .

Drunner

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that MS70 changes the color, but when the blue is NOT uniform then it may be real toneing. there is a difference between the two, suttle but still a difference. therefore not ALL blue copper coins are treated with MS 70, but some are!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Clearly the same coin. Good experiement. Got any proof Lincolns to play with? If you leave the MS70 on the surface longer will the coin turn bluer?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clearly the same coin. Good experiement. Got any proof Lincolns to play with? If you leave the MS70 on the surface longer will the coin turn bluer? >>

Plenty of Proof IHC's on the market that got MS70 Blue'D image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Clearly the same coin. Good experiement. Got any proof Lincolns to play with? If you leave the MS70 on the surface longer will the coin turn bluer? >>

Plenty of Proof IHC's on the market that got MS70 Blue'D image >>

Proof Indians were often stored in tissue paper containing sulfer........thats the difficult part. They can sometimes look very similar
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now try another experiment. Put that 1957 Lincoln in laquer thinner (or other very strong solvent) to dissolve away the MS70 oils.
    Then see if it looks the way it did prior to the MS70 application (I suspect that it will be close in appearance).

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    The blue comes from a sulfur component in the toning of some red/brown copper coins which gets
    redeposited as the coin is treated with MS70. Sulfates of copper are blue. Brown copper seldom turns
    blue, as the patina protects against any additional change. Red copper doesn't turn blue which
    proves it's a reaction with something already on the coin.

Hint: If a cent was dipped years ago, and not rinsed properly, it will have a sulfur component on
    it, as coin dip is dilute sulfuric acid.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now try another experiment. Put that 1957 Lincoln in laquer thinner (or other very strong solvent) to dissolve away the MS70 oils.
    Then see if it looks the way it did prior to the MS70 application (I suspect that it will be close in appearance). >>

Nope. Solvents won't affect toning. And there is nothing "oily" about MS70. It's a very strong alkaline detergent, which REMOVES
    any oils.

By the way, you can kill the blue with a very dilute dip...maybe a couple of drops in a teaspoon of distilled water., then rinse.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Carl

I had a 1979 TYPE 2 Linc with a huge carbon doodie on his chin. The coin was a lock pr70dcam but the the carbon made it look horrible. I put in in MS70 for an overnight soak which it ate the carbon right off it, put a few days later id developed a dark red streak on the rev, and no, no blue came of it.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I do have plenty of 1950's and 60's prrof cents...I think they are all red so I would expect no change in appearance if MS70 was applied....but I can try it image
  • Options

<< <i>I have watched these threads with interest over the past several years as various collectors line up on each side of the fence on the MS-70 blue / no blue debate. I have interest because I do indeed use MS-70 on several types of coins (proof silver, Morgans, warnicks, and an occasional BU silver coin that has the 'look' I know will be benefitted by MS-70). Years ago I experimented with it on copper and have always known it was the fastest way to turn brown copper into blue.

I was fascinated by the threads written here as I was NOT a coin doc, just a serious collector who saw the obvious. That DOESN'T mean it is the only way that copper turns blue. I am sure there are several other routes (Snow describes old-time hoards of Indians in his recent Whitman book on Indians) to blue copper, but there is no doubt. Want to turn a glossy AU-58 Indian into one of those indigo examples you see in these threads? Hit it with a rolled Q-Tip and a dose of MS-70.

It isn't good / bad, right / wrong, or anything else. It just IS. The confusion in the hobby lies in the fact that both natural and quite unnatural elements can turn copper blue, and one of those elements is obviously altering the surface. And . . . it is hard to tell the difference (hence the spate of time where the TPGs were certifying these blue beasts).

By the way . . . as hypocritical as it may sound to some, I have a penchant for original surfaces. But, once you 70 a Frankie proof or warnick that is gunked up and clouded over and restore it to an 'as-minted' look, it's hard not to become a believer.

Nice experiment . . .and as always, a good educational thread . .

Drunner >>

I fully agree with this reply.
    Gary
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I did a little experiment a few days ago and posted a poll on it. linkage

Here is what the coin looked like before and after. I let the coin soak in about 50% ms70 and tap water about 30 seconds or less, then very liberal rinse and pat dry. I dont see any blue. Maybe if you leave the MS70 on the item it will tone blue.
    PRE MS70/ Post MS70
    imageimage
    PRE MS 70/POST MS70
    imageimage
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the experiment.
    most coins are messed with and the things we all have believed
    in the past to be original makes me cringe.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sulfur laden mint tissue re IHC PF coins typically toned the raised portions of the coin, like the wreath on the reverse, more than the coin's protected areas. This toning was far from uniform. This toning wasn't a bright blue, rather, it was more like a subtle pink or lilac. Shylock posted some excellent examples of this toning I think three years ago. Uniformly toned neon blue ones were artificially toned with either MS 70, or heat treated.

Thanks for this thread. I think the grading services are finally onto this, but I believe many coins have gotten by them in the interim.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shane,

I have seen some MS copper coins which had that look. I think the natural occuring oils got removed and left an "Acetone" effect. Try applying Blue ribbon coin preserver to the 1957 cent and see if that "toning" dissapears. If so, the surface of the coin didn't tone, it was stripped of surface impurities. Copper naturally attracts oil (and dirt). Strip that oil and dirt and it looks strange.

FYI - I write about this in my book (Attribution Guide 1870-1889 pg. 142) with regards to Proof Indians and MPL's. There are naturaly toned proofs and "enhanced" toned proofs in these series as well as phony toned proofs. With some practice you can tell them apart.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    most coins are messed with and the things we all have believed...
    i totally agree
  • Options

<< <i>Shane,

I have seen some MS copper coins which had that look. I think the natural occuring oils got removed and left an "Acetone" effect. Try applying Blue ribbon coin preserver to the 1957 cent and see if that "toning" dissapears. If so, the surface of the coin didn't tone, it was stripped of surface impurities. Copper naturally attracts oil (and dirt). Strip that oil and dirt and it looks strange.

FYI - I write about this in my book (Attribution Guide 1870-1889 pg. 142) with regards to Proof Indians and MPL's. There are naturaly toned proofs and "enhanced" toned proofs in these series as well as phony toned proofs. With some practice you can tell them apart. >>

Since I did not have any blue ribbon I used some olive oil on the surface and then dabbed as much of it off as possible. I would say that the blue tint is almost completely removed and with blue ribbon...it might have been returned to just about normal.

and then just for kicks.....I took a someone advice and heated the coin on the stove. The obverse had residual olive oil so it ended up having a rusted look becuase the oil sort of coked onto the surface. The revese however turned into a 1943 Steel cent in appearance with some touches of blue and pink etc image

and here is the original plus the originally cleaned coin...

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The danger to me is not the obvious blue coppers, but those that have been doctored in several stages like the reverse of the wheatie in the post just above mine. That is a slightly off color that I have seen on numerous IHCs in TPGs and raw, including "N" and "P" holders. Particular dealers either are up to it, or have somebody do it for them (or less likely are attracted to this color and so buy them)...

BTW, thanks for the mini- experiment for us.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>the next part of the experiment should be sending it to a TPG to see if it gets slabbed or bagged. >>

One of the telling signs of MS70 use is the pinkness... now, I have seen pink lincolns in holders, but those have been more modern proofs, and sometimes they come from the mint looking kinda pink, but I can usually tell the difference.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Please list the ingredients of MS70.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ingredients not mentioned on the bottle except says, contains no acid
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>ingredients not mentioned on the bottle except says, contains no acid >>

It possibly contains some reducing agent and if so it will probably remove natural oxidation from most coins. MS70 is thus just another way to destroy nice original coins and should be avoided. Coins may require that the surface be "cleaned" of dirt and other oxidizing contaminants, if so, I recommend Blue Ribbon coin cleaner or some other clean choro-, or Fluoro-carbon solvent.
  • Options

Shane wrote:
    I know that with red copper....a small cleaning with MS70 can simply produce a cleaner, redder looking cent, but with RB and Brown copper especially...the application of MS70 can severly alter the color and overall look of a cent.

Do not suggest for a minute that MS70 make red copper redder! It makes red copper ungradeable! The 1950 proof cent is a good example. What a waste of a good coin. It apparently had no oils on it -maybe it was never handled, that is why there was no color change, I guess.

On the 1957 cent above, it had stripped all the oils off the surface leaving a strange pink/blue color. This is not toning, but an unnatural cooper surface without the natural occuring oils and dirt it had before. The oils originally got there probably from handling. Put the oil back on and it is a bit more natural looking, but different than it was originally.

• Options
    Question for you Rick:

Were these coins handeled at the mint or was there some form of automated process used back in the 50's to place the coins in the Mint set cardboard? Are you talking about the handeling of the plancets? Not sure how the coin got handled in an original mint set without getting prints but I assume it is certainly possible? Please enlighten me o' wise one image

I agree on red copper that it doesnt make it gradable...it ruins the coin but since most red copper has a slight hint of toning....it does usually remove that hence my reference to a reder coin.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Informative theread. Thanx for posting. image
  • Options
    Copper is a natural oil magnet. A coin in cardboard holder will accumulate oils and cardboard dust from the holder over the 50 years it was in there. It doesn't necessarily have to come from a person’s hand.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It possibly contains some reducing agent and if so it will probably remove natural oxidation from most coins. MS70 is thus just another way to destroy nice original coins and should be avoided. Coins may require that the surface be "cleaned" of dirt and other oxidizing contaminants, if so, I recommend Blue Ribbon coin cleaner or some other clean choro-, or Fluoro-carbon solvent. >>

Don't chloro-fluoro carbon solvents destroy the ozone layer in the atmosphere? Tsk, tsk. Keep them natural, no doctoring!
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It possibly contains some reducing agent and if so it will probably remove natural oxidation from most coins. MS70 is thus just another way to destroy nice original coins and should be avoided. Coins may require that the surface be "cleaned" of dirt and other oxidizing contaminants, if so, I recommend Blue Ribbon coin cleaner or some other clean choro-, or Fluoro-carbon solvent. >>

Don't chloro-fluoro carbon solvents destroy the ozone layer in the atmosphere? Tsk, tsk. Keep them natural, no doctoring! >>

They are common laboratory regents, but I do not recommend using them to spray into the atmosphere. Yes I know evaporation will occur but I my opinion it would have zero (rounded off to 5 significant figures) impact on the ozone.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I know that some here hang out ATS as do I. So I played along with Krypto in the science experiment.

I took a freshly cut out of cello 1964 proof cent... in fact it was a cameo cent if that makes a difference. I dipped the cent in MS70 for an hour or so and here are the results. Oh and it was suggested to dip only half so you can absolutely see the difference.

FROM ATS:
    So, I did the experiment using MS70. Here are the results. Hopefully they aren't too disappointing because I only left the coin dipped for an hour or two. I knew it was going to do this because essentially this is a repeat experiment for me, although I've never done half a coin, which was an excellent idea by the Dragon! When you look at the pictures, you'll note that some of the chemical crept up the coin even though only half , maybe a little more on the reverse was exposed to the chemical... cause it was tilted. Anyhow, enjoy, and sorry for the large pictures because I didn't want to crop them for full enjoyment. Nothing other than a crop was done to the pictures and they are very close to real life.

And just for reference, most of the purple doesn't show up until the coin is rinsed and dried. Hope I didn't ruin he suspense! Sorry for the slightly out of focus pictures, I forgot to use the timer!

• Options
    very educational
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    I guess I have some MS70 doctored coins. Some of the slabbed coins I own look like the OP result coin.

Thank you, kryptonite, for the educating post.

And for those of you who are wondering, no, I do not find my blue copper coins any uglier due to this revelation.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    That's strange, people actually enjoying this thread over here... a lot of hate on the other side.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I find it very educational.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sooooo, what ever happend to all the blue proof indians?
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own and love all of these blue boys!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file