Home Metal Detecting

Another Wheat in the Backyard

SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got a detector for Father's Day, nothing fancy, but I have made some pretty decent finds. I found my third wheat in my backyard yesterday, it was a hit spot from before that I never found the target on. Nothing too exciting, but a 1956. The other two wheats are a 1917, and a 1944-D. The rest of the coins have been lost since the late 1960's apparently, but I have not used the deeper setting yet, so want to go back and see if there are other earlies back there.
In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Comments

• marymmarym Posts: 713
    As everyone else here will tell you, where's you've found wheaties, there's silver just waiting to be found!! Now, go find it image Mary
    Be Still and Know
    where's you've found wheaties

Teach me not to have 1 1/2 glasses of wine while posting.... lol
    Be Still and Know
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mary.. wine goes very well with posting.... image Cheers, RickO
    Rick, wine goes very well with everything. image
    Be Still and Know
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very generally speaking, I've found about one Merc for every ten or a dozen Wheaties.

Keep harvestin' the Wheat- like they said, the silver ain't far away.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • my best results for hunting home sites, is to do the fence line. usually the space from fence and about foot out produces the most. same goes with front yard and right near the sidewalk.

• << <i>As everyone else here will tell you, where's you've found wheaties, there's silver just waiting to be found!! Now, go find it image Mary >>

This is so true as the old house i was renting last year, I found dozens of wheaties then when i turned up my sensitivity it started singing the tunes of silver, oh what a lovely tune!!!!!image
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found the fourth wheat tonight, my first wheat was back in June, a 1917!, tonight I found a 1958. This bad boy was deep, about 5 inches, and it was under a root for the elm tree.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    Four down, seven or eight to go!

Not really. My "twelve to one" ratio of Wheats to every silver dime is just a loose guesstimate, of course. Your first piece of silver could be a quarter, as it was with me (a dateless SLQ). Or something astonishing, like a Walking Liberty or Franklin half.

But detecting success is like Vegas or lotto- it's all about playing the odds. (And the odds are usually better than Vegas or Lotto, even if the payoffs are a wee bit smaller).

You may have one of those yards that produces nothing but pennies. My last (unpublished) outing was to just such a yard, one with great potential, but which only produced 12 Wheaties (back to 1914) and a 1947 Canadian cent, but no silver. I wasn't complaining, but I know there is silver there- I just didn't find it. Now I no longer have permission to hunt there because the homeowner is a little leery about people visiting the place.

So I have to develop some new sites. Those virgin sites (like your yard) can be great.

Odds are, you'll hit that silver, and the Swami predicts it will be a Merc dime. From the 1940s.

The story of my first visit to the house that produced lots of Wheats but no silver is here, at the end of the post. (Again, I never published the second visit, which resulted in the twelve Wheaties and the '47 Canadian cent, but I suppose I should upload those pics sometime.) That first visit didn't get me any silver, either, but it did produce a cool old padlock.

Here is another past outing that produced a whole lot of Wheaties (and, as it happened, a little silver, too).

I post these to share since you actually joined up here since the last time I went out diggin'! It's been too long.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our house is the youngest around us, the one next door was built ca. 1864, the other side in 1900 etc. My neighbours also have big lawns and big maple trees in back that might be gold mines for old coins. Most of my coins, about 15 or so already, have been found around the elm tree for some reason. That tree is tall, but has just about had it, it will likely get cut down in the next 2-3 years. But in it's day it must have provided lots of low shade.

My kids have $15 detectors and they have never found more than iron, one piece of iron is 4"*12" long, and several tools etc. apparently from when they built the house. I found a very small toy hammer also.
    With your house that close to older homes on either side, there could well be Indian Heads, Barber coins, and even a Seated coin or two. You never can tell, until one pops out of the dirt.

Don't forget, too, that a "newer" home is often built on a lot that once contained an older one that burned down or was demolished.

In my early detecting days, a friend of mine invited us to search his yard. His house had been built in 1963. OK, marginally old enough for a silver dime, I thought. It proved to be chock full of Wheaties and Mercury dimes, and a couple of Standing Liberty quarters also turned up. As it happens, an older home had previously been on the lot and burned down (which made for some bad demolition trash near the foundations of the current house, but out into the yard the fire debris wasn't bad and the coins were good!)