Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade Revealed -- 1885-S Morgan Dollar -- Post Your Comments & Observations

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Welcome to this latest episode of the grading reality show Guess the Grade. image

I invite you to guess the grade of this 1885-S Morgan Dollar by voting in the poll, and also encourage you to please post your grading criteria, comments and observations to keep this thread both lively and active. image

Following is the seller's original aucton photo, which I admit is a bit small. I'll post my own images of the coin after I receive it.

Grade Revealed -- 1885-S ANACS MS-63 Morgan Dollar

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I put up a 64PL, but the pic is really not a good one......would be nice to see your pics
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I put up a 64PL, but the pic is really not a good one......would be nice to see your pics >>

excellent guess and i will go with that also.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    When in doubt, 64PL.

The small images make it pretty difficult to hit the target...

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with the 63 PL.
    Looks similar to a 63PL I saw earlier but tough to guess with that pic.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 63PL, the rev is a touch weak which is commonly seen. A nice coin and somewhat dificult in PL.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • I'm worried about the obverse at 5 o'clock. Are those rim dings?

Looks 64/65 PL/DMPL to me otherwise.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Reveal?
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    pics to a little to small to accuratly grade

so MS64PL.....

Nice Morgan!

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As promised, here are the new photos that I have taken of my recently purchased 1885-S Morgan Dollar. Do these larger photos allow you to discern more details of the coin, and do they affect the grade that you would assign to the coin??

New Photos of 1885-S Morgan Dollar -- Received the Coin

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Great strike but the hits/chatter hold it back to a 64 (no PL or DMPL).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Stuart ... image

I'm thinking solid 64+ and PL to boot

I voted 64PL ... but would not be surprised by a 65 grade as I think it's close

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • 63 no PL.. Pretty coin, however it is incredibly tough to get an 85-S in a PL holder.
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I'm in at 63 and semi pl. It is a tough coin in pl and it looks like the reverse would hold it back.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse looks 62 while the reverse looks 64, so I would give it MS63 no PL. No PL due to the luster remaining in the fields.

Nice looking frosty 85-S, Stuart.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin is graded ANACS MS-63 -- although it appears virtually prooflike to me... image

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file