Being that Susan B Anthony is rather lacking in the looks department

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
Did she ever get married?
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Having reviewed several wiki's and web bios, I don't see any mention that she married.

Edited to add: This online bio says explicitly that she never married.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    She didn't have to get married, she was well off.
    BTW - this month marks the 160th anniversary of the First US Women's Convention, in Seneca Falls, NY (where I attended college).
  • Options
    Indeed, the Isabella commem was a sop to Susan B. Anthony.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "She believed, as did many of the feminists of her era, that only the achievement of women's equality and freedom would end the need for abortion. Anthony used her anti-abortion writings as yet another argument for women's rights."

image Interesting quote from the link zeebob posted.

Seems to me "women's rights" are fickle.
  • Options
    "Women's rights" aren't really fickle, tho' some women have different ideas on women's rights than other women do.
    Susan B. Anthony was a Quaker, so her view of abortion was colored by her religious views. She was also a privileged bourgeois white woman, which also colored her views.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was flat out ugly. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>She was flat out ugly. Cheers, RickO >>

The image of her is of an older and wiser woman, and not that image of her youth. There are plenty of ugly fellows on coins and paper, mind you. image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Might have been a lesbo. . . (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well. Just remember this, all you pretty folks out there.

There are LOTS MORE of us ugly suckers. Watch out!

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    Friendship with Elizabeth Cady Stanton

It was the anti-slavery movement that brought Anthony together with Elizabeth Cady Stanton, with whom she would spearhead the crusade for the franchise of women. The two first met at a lecture in 1851. Anthony said that there was an "intense attraction" between them from the start. Whether they were lovers must remain a matter of speculation, but it is clear that theirs was a particularly close and enduring friendship.

------------

Boston marriages--romantic unions between women that were usually monogamous but not necessarily sexual--flourished in the late nineteenth century. The term was coined in New England, around the time that numerous women's colleges such as Vassar, Smith, and Wellesley emerged.

The concept of love between women was, of course, not new; "Boston marriage" and the very similar, earlier nineteenth-century term "romantic friendship" connote a type of relationship that dates back to at least the Renaissance in the West, and possibly further in the non-Western world.

-------------

As true friends often are, the two women are also keenly aware of their differences. They could be called opposites, though they ultimately combined their desires for women’s rights in order to make progress. As Stanton writes to Anthony on March 10, 1887, prior to the conference for the International Council of Women, she “…cautions Anthony to ‘not get up more machinery than you can manage. You err on the side of details & I on the opposite extreme. Let us try & strike the happy medium & leave something to peoples common sense.’” This was in response to Anthony’s letter written to Stanton who supported Frederick Douglass’ marriage to a white woman. In the letter, “Anthony implores Stanton not to publicly endorse Douglass’s marriage.” After Stanton stayed in Anthony’s home for a month in 1890, Anthony extended an invitation for her friend to remain permanently; however, according to the notes of the exhibition, “Stanton, who did not relish the idea of being daily harassed by Anthony to do suffrage work, declined the offer.”

============

-----------

“We met and loved, ne’er to part,
    Hand clasped in hand, heart bound to heart.
    We’ve traveled West, years together,
    Day and night, in stormy weather;
    Climbing the rugged Suffrage hill,
    Bravely facing every ill:
    Resting, speaking, everywhere;
    Oft-times in the open air;
    From sleighs, ox-carts, and coaches,
    Besieged with bugs and roaches:
    All for the emancipation
    Of the women of our Nation.”

------------

your guess is as good as mine...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Might have been a lesbo. . . (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Regards, John >>

My father's older sister never married. Does that make her gay?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The first sign of retardedness is hair on the knuckles ....
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Women's rights" aren't really fickle, tho' some women have different ideas on women's rights than other women do.
    Susan B. Anthony was a Quaker, so her view of abortion was colored by her religious views. She was also a privileged bourgeois white woman, which also colored her views. >>

Perhaps with her religeous views that's why the Quakers disappeared from this planet?

Big loser (and I'm all for womens choice).

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Women's rights" aren't really fickle, tho' some women have different ideas on women's rights than other women do.
    Susan B. Anthony was a Quaker, so her view of abortion was colored by her religious views. She was also a privileged bourgeois white woman, which also colored her views. >>

Perhaps with her religeous views that's why the Quakers disappeared from this planet?

bobimage >>

Still plenty of Quakers around, I know lots of them. Richard Nixon was a Quaker.
    Maybe you are thinking of Shakers. There's only a few of those left. Nice furniture!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shakers are nearly extinct and in all probability will be completely before this centure is half over.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    They just should have used a good pic of her like this one

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>Shakers are nearly extinct and in all probability will be completely before this centure is half over. >>

They practiced abstinence. image
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    rgCoinGuy,

I would buy a roll of Susies if they looked like your model.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    OK, if some guy married her he would have had to ....well you know what, unless she looked like this as rgCoinGuy illustrated..........Rick

If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

bobimage >>

Still plenty of Quakers around, I know lots of them. Richard Nixon was a Quaker.
    Maybe you are thinking of Shakers. There's only a few of those left. Nice furniture! >>

Yep, slip of the old mind there,,,,,Shakers are the soon to be extinct birds.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They just should have used a good pic of her like this one

image >>

Forget Washington and the rest of them guys. If that would fit on a dollar coin, they could stop printing paper dollars for sure. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    She was America's first "independant" woman.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Might have been a lesbo. . . (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Regards, John >>

My father's older sister never married. Does that make her gay?
    TD >>

By the way, she spent 50 years as a teaching nun in an order that ministered to poor, black and native american children. But she never married, except to God.

If you don't know the facts, don't jump to conclusions.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think for a minute that Susan B. Anthony was unattractive.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They just should have used a good pic of her like this one

image >>

Forget Washington and the rest of them guys. If that would fit on a dollar coin, they could stop printing paper dollars for sure. image >>

Well...think back a tad over a couple hundred years...that was on the dollar coin...minus the sunglasses.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The image of her is of an older and wiser woman, and not that image of her youth. There are plenty of ugly fellows on coins and paper, mind you. image >>

And I recall someone posted a photo here recently of a young Eunice Shriver, who didn't look half bad in the day.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    By the way, she spent 50 years as a teaching nun in an order that ministered to poor, black and native american children. But she never married, except to God.

My appologies to anyone that might have taken exception to my crude remark. It was not stated as fact, nor was it my intention to offend anyone. Only an ill fated attempt at some humor. image

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    <<Maybe she should have hung around Isabella>>
    Isabella hung around several heirs to the throne who were senior to her and who did not survive. Whether this had anything to do with her presence or not is a mystery of history.
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Forget Washington and the rest of them guys. If that would fit on a dollar coin, they could stop printing paper dollars for sure. image >>

Well...think back a tad over a couple hundred years...that was on the dollar coin...minus the sunglasses.

Lane >>

Right. But the Dollar has shrunk since, in diameter and value. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well...think back a tad over a couple hundred years...that was on the dollar coin...minus the sunglasses. >>

Actually, she kinda looks like the chick on the Peace Dollar.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George Washington was hardly a beauty. Imagine our quarter showing Washington and the dentures he wore at the time.

http://www.americanrevolution.org/dental.html
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I believe that they (the mint) prettied her up for the coin.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........image..i agree!! NOT A LOOKER!!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Seems like they should have designed the coin with an artistic representation of what she stood for rather than her bust. image
  • Options
    If being ugly was sin, Susan was holding Satans scepter.

YEE GADS what an ugly woman.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SBA is an american hero, she was a tireless advocate for womans rights, and I for one having a daughter admire her achievements, she is one of a kind.

Robert.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    I don't think feminazi's believe in marriageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think feminazi's believe in marriageimage >>

No need to attack people who don't do things exactly the same as you do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file