Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So.... you say you're ready for a $2,000 pack of cards??

This stuff looks very interesting.

$$Big$$

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    This disgusts me.

<< <i>There's even a John Kennedy/Jack Ruby dual cut! >>

Just so wrong on so many levels.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    Don't know why it's such a big deal to you? They are forever linked in history.

There are some very interesting pulls in this product, and personally, I may give it a try. If you hit the right sig, it could be pretty amazing.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    No Oswald auto?
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know why it's such a big deal to you? >>

If you really cannot comprehend why a JFK/Ruby "dual cut" would disgust some people, then there really is no reason to try and explain why it's wrong on so many levels.

But this is a free country, so best of luck spending $2K on a pack produced this year.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy that for $50 a pack.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Don't let Drewsef see this post since it has nothing to do with Sports cards. It should be on the non-sports board he is going to go run and tell Carol
  • Options

<< <i>

If you really cannot comprehend why a JFK/Ruby "dual cut" would disgust some people, then there really is no reason to try and explain why it's wrong on so many levels.

But this is a free country, so best of luck spending $2K on a pack produced this year. >>

People are so eaily offended in society these days.... No need to try and understand folks who get twisted/bent over a piece of cardboard.

• Options
    John Wayne
    Elvis Presley
    MILEY CYRUS -LOL!

Whats next? Clint Eastwood, John Lennon, and Brook Hogan?
  • Options

<< <i>Don't let Drewsef see this post since it has nothing to do with Sports cards. It should be on the non-sports board he is going to go run and tell Carol >>

<<A few weeks ago new card manufacturer Razor Entertainment announced that it had signed Tim Beckham—the first overall pick in the 2008 MLB draft—to an exclusive deal that includes the creation of autograph and memorabilia cards. The company has also struck similar deals with other top baseball prospects such as Kyle Skipworth and Reese Havens.>>

Well, they are in the sports cards business, too. The above ^^ was also in the article, so I would hope some would not be so touchy, since this is a hobby related topic.

I see a fair share of worthless posts on here each day, and at least this has some substance about cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

But this is a free country, so best of luck spending $2K on a pack produced this year. >>

People are so eaily offended in society these days.... No need to try and understand folks who get twisted/bent over a piece of cardboard. >>

I'm one of the thickest skinned posters here and this is nothing about being easily offended.

It's demented and crossing the line.

Edited to add: If you respond with, "There's nothing wrong with it, blah, blah, blah.." I will stand by and stick with my original comment:

• Options
    I agree with Stown on this one there are so many ways it is just wrong. It would be like about like Charles Manson and Roman Polanski signed card or a Lincoln/Booth signed card.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

People are so eaily offended in society these days.... No need to try and understand folks who get twisted/bent over a piece of cardboard. >>

I'm one of the thickest skinned posters here and this is nothing about being easily offended.

It's demented and crossing the line. >>

Well, that's too bad. These are just cards/cut sigs, and this is a part of American History. I'm a history buff, and this is interesting.

Society is just full of people waiting to cry foul all the time, so I'm not surprised anymore..

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Stown on this one there are so many ways it is just wrong. It would be like about like Charles Manson and Roman Polanski signed card or a Lincoln/Booth signed card. >>

Hmmm, the post is about a pack of sports CARDS, and you pop in with your new cute sigline just because I made a cheeky post about you posting baseball trades in the cards and memorabilia forum. Your my first stalker on this message board, this is probably worth at least a cheap shot of patron in the airport before I catch a flight later.
  • Options
    Stan, It isnt a matter of people crying foul.

It's poor taste.

• Options
    How about O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown? timothy mcveigh and osama bin laden? Kobe and the chick he raped? Rae Carruth and his girlfriend?
  • Options
    Osama and Todd Beamer
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Vick and a dog collar piece...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    OMG, Ruby did not kill Kennedy so almost all of the comparisons mentioned above are irrelevant. Now and Oswald/Kennedy card would be pathetic.
  • Options

<< <i>OMG, Ruby did not kill Kennedy so almost all of the comparisons mentioned above are irrelevant. Now and Oswald/Kennedy card would be pathetic. >>

I think some lost sight of this fact, and just wanted something to bark about.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, Ruby did not kill Kennedy, so I dont understand why it is offensive. Wouldnt understand it anyway, too much time on my hands to worry about and get offended by every little thing.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Ruby will always be linked as a possible conspirator to the Kennedy assaination until we are allowed to know the truth.

Mary Surratt did not kill Lincoln, but she was hung for his murder. Samuel Mudd had nothing to do with it, but he was arrested and sentenced to life in prison as a conspirator because he set Booths broken leg.

• Options

<< <i>Ruby will always be linked as a possible conspirator to the Kennedy assaination until we are allowed to know the truth.

Mary Surratt did not kill Lincoln, but she was hung for his murder. Samuel Mudd had nothing to do with it, but he was arrested and sentenced to life in prison as a conspirator because he set Booths broken leg. >>

And this is a reason to get bent/offended over some cut signature cards?
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Day,
    Whatever the comparison's drawn, I'm with Stown, just plain Bad Taste...Period. Doesn't belong on a Non Sport or Sport card...Period!!!image
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    I have not seen anyone get bent out of shape over it, its just in very poor taste.

But then there are many who would want it because of that factor. Ever seen what a drawing by John Wayne Gacy can sell for?
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Here's another question I have about this product - would that cut bill in the slab be considered as defacing US currency?
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Monika and Bill with a cut/ Hillary sig.

Marion Barry and the hootcie that set him up.

Barney Frank and Stubbs-----This would be big up there in Mass. or big out by the golden gate.

Ellen and Rosie.

Romeo and Joliet ( Faked but easily contrived ).

Etc, Etc, Etc
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    How about a Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinski dual signed card with a psa/dna/ sperm/Lipstick sample on it
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>Here's another question I have about this product - would that cut bill in the slab be considered as defacing US currency? >>

Actually it is, but it is not done with a malicious intent so there is not a crime. Its like the rolled pennies you see at different tourist attractions. Its really all in how it is interpreted.

Here is the statute for coins..

The United States Codes under Title 18, Chapter 17, and Section 331, "prohibits the mutilation, diminution and falsification of United States coinage." However, it has been the opinion of some individual officers at the Treasury Department, though without any indication of approval, the foregoing statute does not prohibit the mutiliation of coins if done without fraudulent intent or if the mutilated coins are not used fraudulently.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    gees calaban7
    you must have been replyig as I was writing.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>gees calaban7
    you must have been replyig as I was writing. >>

If so, you took 6 minutes to type a sentence image
  • Options
    You couldn't sell the Kennedy/Ruby on ebay because they have a policy against the sale of murderers autos. Jack Ruby is only famous for murdering another humanbeing.

"eBay may also, in its discretion and out of respect for the families of murder victims, remove listings of items closely associated with individuals notorious for committing murderous acts within the last 100 years, such as personal belongings of such criminals, letters or artwork created by such criminals, or novelty items that bear the name or image of the criminal."

I think we should respect the Oswald family and not allow the Ruby signature to be on eBay.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OMG, Ruby did not kill Kennedy so almost all of the comparisons mentioned above are irrelevant. Now and Oswald/Kennedy card would be pathetic. >>

is there a Willie O'Keefe/David Ferrie auto?
  • Options
    Bad taste.
  • Options
    Not that all killer/victims cards would be bad. A Pat Garrett/Billy the Kid would be interesting. Jesse James/Robert Ford. Just something about the Kennedy Ruby and some of the others that seems to be bad.
  • Options
    some cards I want to pull

Miley Cyrus/John the Baptist dual cut

Dubbya /Momma Bush signed (his in crayon hers macramade in pearls)

Monika/bill scratch and sniff stained swatch

Lincoln signed pube/jefferson Davis signed femur
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The dual-cut is the problem.

JFK and Ruby are in no way connected "in life." The incongruity of pairing the sigs leaps out, historically.

Also, it may not be appropriate to pair a US president with a non-prez. A Kennedy/Nixon card would appeal.

On the other hand, an LBJ/MLK card commemorating the signing of the Civil Rights Act would work.

A standalone Ruby sig may have significance to collectors of the players involved in the historical event.

Even Marilyn and JFK would probably offend some folks, but delight others. At least it makes sense.

Cards do NOT have to be "non-offensive," but they need to make sense; tangential links don't work.

Ruby + JFK just seems goofey.

And, I don't want to pay big money for a slabbed card UNLESS I know what I am buying. I'd rather
    buy mass produced packs and get some cheap gambling-thrills on the hope of pulling a BIGGIE.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>The dual-cut is the problem.

JFK and Ruby are in no way connected "in life." The incongruity of pairing the sigs leaps out, historically.

Also, it may not be appropriate to pair a US president with a non-prez. A Kennedy/Nixon card would appeal.

On the other hand, an LBJ/MLK card commemorating the signing of the Civil Rights Act would work.

A standalone Ruby sig may have significance to collectors of the players involved in the historical event.

Even Marilyn and JFK would probably offend some folks, but delight others. At least it makes sense.

Cards do NOT have to be "non-offensive," but they need to make sense; tangential links don't work.

Ruby + JFK just seems goofey.

>>

That is why I think a Garrett/Billy the Kid card would work. They are forever linked not only as victim/killer but both were once good friends and both were outlaws
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's another question I have about this product - would that cut bill in the slab be considered as defacing US currency? >>

Actually it is, but it is not done with a malicious intent so there is not a crime. Its like the rolled pennies you see at different tourist attractions. Its really all in how it is interpreted.

Here is the statute for coins..

The United States Codes under Title 18, Chapter 17, and Section 331, "prohibits the mutilation, diminution and falsification of United States coinage." However, it has been the opinion of some individual officers at the Treasury Department, though without any indication of approval, the foregoing statute does not prohibit the mutiliation of coins if done without fraudulent intent or if the mutilated coins are not used fraudulently. >>

Good point about the pennies. I guess if the govt wanted to make a big issue, they would have hit those things a long time ago.
  • Options
    Garret didn't kill Bill the Kid. Didn't you watch Young Guns2? Geeshm what is wrong with you?
  • Options
    That is possible.. Just another one of those who really knows.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    EyeWitnesstoHistory.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Death Of Billy The Kid, 1881

Billy The Kid was born in the slums of New York City in 1859. After the death of his father, he traveled west with his mother ending up in Silver City, New Mexico Territory in 1873. Little of substance is known about Billy's life during this period, and myth has replaced fact to shroud the early years of Billy the Kid in folklore. What is known for sure is that he arrived in Lincoln County, New Mexico in 1877 using the name William Bonney. His life would last only four more years, but in that short period he became embroiled in the events that made him a legend.

Lincoln County was in a state of near-anarchy in 1877. The native Apache had recently been subdued and the local cattlemen divided themselves into two camps in a fight for local power. Unfortunately for Billy the Kid, he allied himself with the losing side in this "Lincoln County War." Billy worked as a ranch hand for John Tunstall a leader of one faction seeking control of the county. Tunstall befriended the Kid acting in many ways as a surrogate father. Tunstall's ambush and murder in 1878 by a sheriff's posse set the Kid off on a path of revenge. His first victims were the sheriff and his deputy, killed from ambush on the streets of Lincoln. On the run for two years, the Kid was eventually captured, tried, convicted and returned to Lincoln to hang for the murders. However, Lincoln's makeshift jail was no match for Billy the Kid.

On the evening of April 28, 1881 as he was climbing the steps returning him to his cell, the Kid made a mad dash, grabbed a six-shooter and shot his guard. Hearing the shots, a second guard ran from across the street only to be gunned down by the Kid standing on the balcony above him. Mounting a horse, William Bonney galloped out of town and into history.

Death of a Legend

Pat Garrett was elected Sheriff of Lincoln County in 1880 on a reform ticket with the expectation that he would reinstate justice in the area. One of his first acts was to capture Billy the Kid, sending him to trial for the murder of the Lincoln sheriff and his deputy. Garrett was away from Lincoln on county business when the Kid made his escape. Rather than chase after the fugitive, Garrett kept to his ranch mending fences and attending to his cattle. In July, the Sheriff received word that the Kid was hiding out at the abandoned Fort Sumner about 140 miles west of Lincoln. Rounding up two of his deputies, John Poe and Thomas McKinney, Garrett set off in pursuit of the Kid.

On the night of July 14, the Sheriff and his two deputies approached the dusty old Fort now converted to living quarters. The residents were sympathetic to the Kid and the lawmen could extract little information. Garrett decided to seek out an old friend, Peter Maxwell, who might tell him the Kid's whereabouts. As chance would have it, the Kid stumbled right into the Sheriff's hands. Garrett published his account of the incident a year after it happened:

"I then concluded to go and have a talk with Peter Maxwell, Esq., in whom I felt sure I could rely. We had ridden to within a short distance of Maxwell's grounds when we found a man in camp and stopped. To Poe's great surprise, he recognized in the camper an old friend and former partner, in Texas, named Jacobs. We unsaddled here, got some coffee, and, on foot, entered an orchard which runs from this point down to a row of old buildings, some of them occupied by Mexicans, not more than sixty yards from Maxwell's house. We approached these houses cautiously, and when within earshot, heard the sound of voices conversing in Spanish. We concealed ourselves quickly and listened; but the distance was too great to hear words, or even distinguish voices. Soon a man arose from the ground, in full view, but too far away to recognize. He wore a broad-brimmed hat, a dark vest and pants, and was in his shirtsleeves. With a few words, which fell like a murmur on our ears, he went to the fence, jumped it, and walked down towards Maxwell's house.

Little as we then suspected it, this man was the Kid. We learned, subsequently, that, when he left his companions that night, he went to the house of a Mexican friend, pulled off his hat and boots, threw himself on a bed, and commenced reading a newspaper. He soon, however, hailed his friend, who was sleeping in the room, told him to get up and make some coffee, adding: 'Give me a butcher knife and I will go over to Pete's and get some beef; I'm hungry.' The Mexican arose, handed him the knife, and the Kid, hatless and in his stocking-feet, started to Maxwell's, which was but a few steps distant.

When the Kid, by me unrecognized, left the orchard, I motioned to my companions, and we cautiously retreated a short distance, and, to avoid the persons whom we had heard at the houses, took another route, approaching Maxwell's house from the opposite direction. When we reached the porch in front of the building, I left Poe and McKinney at the end of the porch, about twenty feet from the door of Pete's room, and went in. It was near midnight and Pete was in bed. I walked to the head of the bed and sat down on it, beside him, near the pillow. I asked him as to the whereabouts of the Kid. He said that the Kid had certainly been about, but he did not know whether he had left or not. At that moment a man sprang quickly into the door, looking back, and called twice in Spanish, 'Who comes there?' No one replied and he came on in. He was bareheaded. From his step I could perceive he was either barefooted or in his stocking-feet, and held a revolver in his right hand and a butcher knife in his left.

He came directly towards me. Before he reached the bed, I whispered: 'Who is it, Pete?' but received no reply for a moment. It struck me that it might be Pete's brother-in-law, Manuel Abreu, who had seen Poe and McKinney, and wanted to know their business. The intruder came close to me, leaned both hands on the bed, his right hand almost touching my knee, and asked, in a low tone: -'Who are they Pete?' -at the same instant Maxwell whispered to me. 'That's him!' Simultaneously the Kid must have seen, or felt, the presence of a third person at the head of the bed. He raised quickly his pistol, a self-coker, within a foot of my breast. Retreating rapidly across the room he cried: 'Quien es? Quien es?' 'Who's that? Who's that?') All this occurred in a moment. Quickly as possible I drew my revolver and fired, threw my body aside, and fired again. The second shot was useless; the Kid fell dead. He never spoke. A struggle or two, a little strangling sound as he gasped for breath, and the Kid was with his many victims."

References:

Garrett, Pat, The Authentic Life of Billy the Kid (1882, republished 1954); Utley, Robert, Billy the Kid: A Short and Violent Life (1989).

How To Cite This Article:

"The Death Of Billy The Kid, 1881," EyeWitness to History, www.eyewitnesstohistory.com (2001).
    Pat Garrett was shot in the back in 1908 while traveling in a buckboard from his ranch to a nearby town. His murder was never solved.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken wasn't Ruby the assassin of the assassin for Kennedy... I haven't taken history past college level but someone explain further... Feel free to shoot a PM I'm interest in hearing some history.

Edit: I posted this after reading only about 3-4 posts. I still don't see how it is bad taste, I understand he is a murderer, but it still seems historically realistic to put those two together "bad taste" or not. Maybe I'm being naive due to lack of knowledge but many are.