Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is the slabbing of World coins becoming more acceptable?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
If the turnaround times at PCGS and NGC are any indication it is. We are all familiar with the very long turnaround times at PCGS, an estimated 50 working days, but now NGC has an estimated turnaround time of 23 days for their 10-day service.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think it is.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    the problem with PCGS turnaround time is lack of world coin graders, meaning they use US coin graders a good portion of the time.
  • Options
    Their is a growing concern among collectors worldwide about the quality improvement of and number of counterfeit coins. TPGs offer peace of mind in that regard.
  • Options

<< <i>the problem with PCGS turnaround time is lack of world coin graders, meaning they use US coin graders a good portion of the time. >>

So is NGC better for world coins?
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Their is a growing concern among collectors worldwide about the quality improvement of and number of counterfeit coins. TPGs offer peace of mind in that regard. >>

The thing though is that even slabbed coins are now being counterfeited. And the slab makes it that much harder to check/inspect the coin by weighing, measuring and metallurgy checks. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes... perhaps overseas submissions are increasing and that may be a significant factor in turn around times

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I would think, yes. One factor may be the cross over of US coin collector's to the world market and they are accustomed to coins in holders as a safeguard for authentication and originality to some degree.

I also like holders as a safe long term storage solution.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I'm slabbing darkside coins as fast as I can submit them to PCGS. Got another 35 picked out. Just have to find the time to get them from the safe-deposit box, make flips, fill out paperwork and write a $800 check.

Bob
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Without the NGC and PCGS tpgs, I probably would not have had the nerve to venture into the 16th, 17th, 18th century talers. Sure, the tpgs were a crutch to lean on, but it definitely helped me start to learn with a higher degree of confidence that I was not being taken by fakes.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the problem with PCGS turnaround time is lack of world coin graders, meaning they use US coin graders a good portion of the time. >>

So is NGC better for world coins? >>

I also would like to know what grading service is best for Darkside?
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    So is NGC better for world coins?

Currently ... YES!!!

At least based upon what I have seen recently ...

#1 ... NGC
    #2 ... ICG (Old ANACS Staff)
    #3 ... ANACS (Old ICG Staff)
    #4 ... PCGS

PCGS made the bottom of my list for slow turnaround time and a lot of recent inconsistencies on world modern.

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>So is NGC better for world coins?

Currently ... YES!!!

At least based upon what I have seen recently ...

#1 ... NGC
    #2 ... ICG (Old ANACS Staff)
    #3 ... ANACS (Old ICG Staff)
    #4 ... PCGS

PCGS made the bottom of my list for slow turnaround time and a lot of recent inconsistencies on world modern. >>

Perhaps you should compare final sale numbers on PCGS vs NGC gold and silver pandas. For example, the last two 1995 gold one ounce pandas in NGC 69 have sold for $1,499 and $1,475. The last two PCGS 69 coins have sold for $1,969 and $1,930. There are many more examples, do some research.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>

So is NGC better for world coins? >>

I also would like to know what grading service is best for Darkside? >>

looking at market trends, the following has been seen over the past few years:

- PCGS and ICCS bring more money when talking about Canadian coins.

- The super rarities are almost exclusively in NGC plastic, and seem to be more accepted as such. Millennia bears this out especially, as many former PCGS 'top pop' coins were
    cracked out and submitted to NGC for auctioning in Millennia

- only 3 PCGS world coins have sold for six figures in the last 5 years, compared to the majority of six figure coins that have been sold in NGC plastic, to include the only 7 figure
    world coin ever sold, which resides in NGC plastic.

- The rarest Ancients ever sold at auction, and the ones which realized the highest prices in history, all were graded by NGC.

- PCGS does tend to lend a more strict eye to world copper it seems, than anyone else.

- NGC offers the multi-slab, will slab many medals and larger thalers. PCGS's slab is very good optical quality, and preferred by some, especially with small coins that seem to get lost in NGC's white background (although NGC is slated to introduce a new slab, with state-of-the-art anti-counterfeiting measures this fall).

- PCGS's turnaround time is pitiful, while NGC's is very quick service generally.
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps you should compare final sale numbers on PCGS vs NGC gold and silver pandas. For example, the last two 1995 gold one ounce pandas in NGC 69 have sold for $1,499 and $1,475. The last two PCGS 69 coins have sold for $1,969 and $1,930. There are many more examples, do some research. >>

Perhaps you should look at prices realized for real coins and not NCLT. There are many more examples, do some research.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On some coins I have purchased in slabs, like this one:

I crack them out. There is no point in having a coin like this in a slab, that was stating VF-20, but in my opin is a F-12, and the latter is what I paid my price based on.

This one was MS-62 or something:

But is much more appreciable in an airtite holder.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Among Polish collectors, there is a lot of demand for slabbed material (particularly from NGC). PCGS is not well known over there.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    SaorAlba,

Nice coins, nice pics!

I'm impressed you have the courage to crack out the coins so that they can be appreciated better as raw coins. I've never been that brave yet.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>SaorAlba,

Nice coins, nice pics!

I'm impressed you have the courage to crack out the coins so that they can be appreciated better as raw coins. I've never been that brave yet.

Bob >>

I am not as daring when the prices go up exponentially though:

An AU-58 accd to NGC. One I will keep in the plastic, because sometime I will sell it when I can find a 64+ example.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    That's a lovely reverse image

An AU-58 accd to NGC. One I will keep in the plastic, because sometime I will sell it when I can find a 64+ example.

Can I get first refusal if you do find a MS64+?? image
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Very nice design. Can't go wrong with gold. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    That Italian design is one of my favorites from the 20th Century. I am thankful the design is on some lower denominations.

This coin needs to stay in plastic and I recommend buying them graded by PCGS or NGC for obvious reasons

• Options
    The 10 Centesimi from 1911 can occasionally be found for less than €100 in red BU.
  • Options
    The 10C gets my vote for the most attractive copper coin of the 20th century

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Oops... Never mind! image

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    When it comes to the designs of European minor coinage, I still like the 1904-05 French 25 Centimes ...
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Italian early 20th C. bits are quite nice. I like the companion 1911 5L, but even the somewhat gaudy 1914 5L is quite beautiful to my eyes. I too have been wanting one of these 50L bits - nice coin!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    My sense is that PCGS world coins sell for more grade-for-grade than say NGC. NGC rightly or wrongly is viewed as overgrading in some series. However, in many series the two seem nearly identical to me. Swiss for example I find PCGS a tad tougher. Mexican I find them about even.

Given my preference, I would pick PCGS.