Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FOUND - 300 Morgan silver dollars from 1887 in mint condition

Coin cache found in Amarillo backyard

AMARILLO, Texas -- The Case of the Missing 300 Silver Dollars, or What In The World Is Something Like That Doing In A Place Like This, likely will never be solved. That they were actually uncovered is astonishing enough, but to find out why 300 Morgan silver dollars from 1887 in mint condition were under a foot of hardened soil on former Amarillo Mayor Jerry Hodge's property, well, let your imagination be your guide.

Our story begins June 11. Plumbers were digging a trench to run utilities for a pool house and swimming pool on property Hodge had purchased adjacent to his home on Oldham Circle in Amarillo. Randy McMinn had a backhoe about a foot deep when on one particular scoop, mixed in with the dirt, was found a bunch of dingy little objects.

Whoa, time out. Work came to a halt, and closer inspection revealed them to be coins _ old coins from 1887. Careful digging found a lot more in some kind of fine plastic, what Margaret, Hodge's wife, described as sort of an old version of Saran Wrap. Lest anyone think plastic is a recent invention, plastic was used as early as World War I.

The coins had Lady Liberty on one side and the American eagle on the other. A little bit of homework found them to be Morgan silver dollars, which were minted from 1878 to 1904. A count of the coins totaled 100 ... 150 ... 200 ... 250 ... 300 of them.

Avast, matey, buried treasure!

"I'm thinking, 'Oh my stars, this is unbelievable,' " Margaret said. "Then all these questions start running through my head. Were they stolen? Who did they belong to? Were they really ours just because we owned the lot?

"After you get over the initial excitement of buried treasure, then I'm thinking, 'I don't want to keep them if they're not ours. Is this illegal? I don't want to break the law. We're not going to end up in jail, are we?' "

Let's see, the answers would be don't know, don't know, yes, no and no.

So, how much of a buried treasure do we have here? The coins had no mint identification. The Hodges did some research and asking around, and no identification meant the coins were made in Philadelphia. It also meant the coins, in their uncirculated mint condition, were worth about $20 to $30 apiece.

Franky Hill of Amarillo Coin Exchange confirmed as much. And too bad the coins didn't have an 'S' on them.

"If they had been made in San Francisco, they would be worth about $200 each starting out," Hill said. "And if they are in real good condition, they are worth hundreds of dollars, depending on the number of contact marks."

Well, it's known now how much they are worth, and how they were found. What's not known, and what's most intriguing of all, is how these 300 1887 mint condition Morgan silver dollars got there.

"When was Billy the Kid shot?" Jerry Hodge said. "And Frank and Jesse James were in this part of the country, too."

Alas, Billy the Kid went to his maker in 1881, and Jesse James was shot in the back in 1882, too early for the 1887 coins.

What about Bonnie and Clyde? What about some unsolved bank robbery when the bad guy was killed before he could get away and find his stashed loot?

Hodge, chairman of the board of Maxor National Pharmacies, recalls a conversation 40 years ago with the late Dr. George Royse. Royse told of his tending to Clyde Barrow back in the 1930s after a car wreck. Royse also told Hodge of two men he knew in Oklahoma who'd robbed a bank and came to Amarillo in a getaway. Hmmm.

Hodge has tried to piece together the history of the property, which the city first owned in 1927. Before that, it was the Wolflin family farm. The property, which is actually on Parker Street, has gone through several owners, including two former attorneys in the 1940s and early 1950.

The most likely theory is that someone, probably during the Depression, was afraid of banks and buried some valuable coins and may have died without telling anyone of them. Sounds good, though not quite as thrilling as Clyde Barrow's ill-gotten gains.

Interesting times in those days. Former Amarillo National Bank President Tol Ware told Hodge he used to play baseball in that area back in the 1930s and it was not uncommon for a fun-loving fellow to hide his alcohol near there during those Prohibition days.

"I've told Tol we have not yet found his Scotch," Hodge said.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for the read.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this story. image
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 words:

Donkey Tail
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Man, buried treasure- how cool is that!?!
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A little bit of homework found them to be Morgan silver dollars, which were minted from 1878 to 1904 >>

...1921 too.imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>2 words:

Donkey Tail >>

2 more:

Clashed E

I would love to be the first to look at those.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I've related many times that my brother-in-law's father bought bulk silver for has savings account which was then buried under the house. He never trusted banks which was the reason for buring the stuff in the first place!

Oh, did I mention he was also from a little town outside of Abilene Texas?

He gave out this inheritance to his children before he passed away and I'll never forget when brother in law and sister came through Denver with 5 gallon buckets filled with silver! He also had at least 5 $325 bags of Morgans! I never did get to go through these as my brother in law is just as trusting as his father was! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    Uncirculated - 20-30 bucks each. Did she get those prices from a local dealer?
  • Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2 words:

Donkey Tail >>

2 more:

Clashed E

I would love to be the first to look at those. >>

All the VAM people are thinking the same thing. I was thinking 7/6
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COINBOY........image
  • Options
    great read, thank youimage
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. image
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Did they find the fabled Mexican Chupacabra too?image
  • Options
    All I can say is WOW! What a find!
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    With a little toning, which is easy enough to do, they are worth $7,000 each. At least that's what Albanese is selling them for, and they are not wannabes.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2 words:

Donkey Tail >>

2 more:

Clashed E

I would love to be the first to look at those. >>

My first and second thought too but couldnt say in which order. lol
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options

<< <i>Coin cache found in Amarillo backyard

AMARILLO, Texas -- The Case of the Missing 300 Silver Dollars, or What In The World Is Something Like That Doing In A Place Like This, likely will never be solved. That they were actually uncovered is astonishing enough, but to find out why 300 Morgan silver dollars from 1887 in mint condition were under a foot of hardened soil on former Amarillo Mayor Jerry Hodge's property, well, let your imagination be your guide.

Our story begins June 11. Plumbers were digging a trench to run utilities for a pool house and swimming pool on property Hodge had purchased adjacent to his home on Oldham Circle in Amarillo. Randy McMinn had a backhoe about a foot deep when on one particular scoop, mixed in with the dirt, was found a bunch of dingy little objects.

Whoa, time out. Work came to a halt, and closer inspection revealed them to be coins _ old coins from 1887. Careful digging found a lot more in some kind of fine plastic, what Margaret, Hodge's wife, described as sort of an old version of Saran Wrap. Lest anyone think plastic is a recent invention, plastic was used as early as World War I.

The coins had Lady Liberty on one side and the American eagle on the other. A little bit of homework found them to be Morgan silver dollars, which were minted from 1878 to 1904. A count of the coins totaled 100 ... 150 ... 200 ... 250 ... 300 of them.

Avast, matey, buried treasure!

"I'm thinking, 'Oh my stars, this is unbelievable,' " Margaret said. "Then all these questions start running through my head. Were they stolen? Who did they belong to? Were they really ours just because we owned the lot?

"After you get over the initial excitement of buried treasure, then I'm thinking, 'I don't want to keep them if they're not ours. Is this illegal? I don't want to break the law. We're not going to end up in jail, are we?' "

Let's see, the answers would be don't know, don't know, yes, no and no.

So, how much of a buried treasure do we have here? The coins had no mint identification. The Hodges did some research and asking around, and no identification meant the coins were made in Philadelphia. It also meant the coins, in their uncirculated mint condition, were worth about $20 to $30 apiece.

Franky Hill of Amarillo Coin Exchange confirmed as much. And too bad the coins didn't have an 'S' on them.

"If they had been made in San Francisco, they would be worth about $200 each starting out," Hill said. "And if they are in real good condition, they are worth hundreds of dollars, depending on the number of contact marks."

Well, it's known now how much they are worth, and how they were found. What's not known, and what's most intriguing of all, is how these 300 1887 mint condition Morgan silver dollars got there.

"When was Billy the Kid shot?" Jerry Hodge said. "And Frank and Jesse James were in this part of the country, too."

Alas, Billy the Kid went to his maker in 1881, and Jesse James was shot in the back in 1882, too early for the 1887 coins.

What about Bonnie and Clyde? What about some unsolved bank robbery when the bad guy was killed before he could get away and find his stashed loot?

Hodge, chairman of the board of Maxor National Pharmacies, recalls a conversation 40 years ago with the late Dr. George Royse. Royse told of his tending to Clyde Barrow back in the 1930s after a car wreck. Royse also told Hodge of two men he knew in Oklahoma who'd robbed a bank and came to Amarillo in a getaway. Hmmm.

Hodge has tried to piece together the history of the property, which the city first owned in 1927. Before that, it was the Wolflin family farm. The property, which is actually on Parker Street, has gone through several owners, including two former attorneys in the 1940s and early 1950.

The most likely theory is that someone, probably during the Depression, was afraid of banks and buried some valuable coins and may have died without telling anyone of them. Sounds good, though not quite as thrilling as Clyde Barrow's ill-gotten gains.

Interesting times in those days. Former Amarillo National Bank President Tol Ware told Hodge he used to play baseball in that area back in the 1930s and it was not uncommon for a fun-loving fellow to hide his alcohol near there during those Prohibition days.

"I've told Tol we have not yet found his Scotch," Hodge said.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. >>

www.CoinJewelry4U.com
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When gold coinage was confiscated in the early 30s, many people were genuinely concerned about an economic collapse, like what had taken place in Germany less than a decade earlier, when the currency became virtually worthless. As a result, they hid / hoarded gold and silver coinage. My paternal grandmother, who trusted no-one except for family members, did this.

My father showed me $85 face of 20th Century U.S. gold coins which he had in the safe deposit box in addition to about $40 silver dollars about forty years ago, which he got from his mother. I don't know whether she originally put them in a safe deposit box, or in a container and buried them in the backyard.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...hmmmm 2008 thread. here i was getting my shovel ready. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thread title reminded me of those cheesy "FINAL RELEASE US US GOV'T GENUINE SILVER DOLLARS FOR ONLY $59 EACH!" ads in newspapers. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice read. thanks for sharing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file