Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

? for the Roosie guys...How many truly PL business strikes have you seen?

Ok Roosie freaks......how many truly prooflike business strike coins have you seen over the years? Are they common in certain years? I have seen some really extraordinary 2008 examples that are totally prooflike and started wondering if PL dimes are really common or truly tough to find?

Comments

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    I collect the silvers and have not seen to many (Although I am not looking for any either).

I have seen a 49S PL (NGC) on ebay that has been floating around for awhile - wants way too much for it IMO.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Not many certified by NGC - you can check the pops as they show PL's. Seems to me, the "S" mints are the most common. I've owned several older slabbed coins w/o designation - a few 50S and a 47S. Onlyroosies owned a 48S NGC MS68*FTPL (3 designations) - now that was a COOL coin! Not much to add but something.......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago a dealer sold me a raw MS 1964D circulation strike Roosie that has proof like, mirrored fields. Very unusual. The dealer said that one rare occasions he has seen silver circulation strike Roosies with mirrored fields.

A very attractive and unusual coin IMO.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you mean by common.

I've seen perhaps six or eight hundred PL's but I count dates that don't come
    very PL pretty leniently. These are clustered in specific dates like '79-P rather
    than being "common" in all dates.

The incidence in clad dimes made for circulation is around .04% and for mint sets
    is close to .2%.

About half of them are pretty disgusting with the circulation issues often being
    poor strikes and the mint set coins being banged up.

As you well know it can be exceedingly difficult to get a handle on availability of
    anything for many years. You may be holding every single 2008 PL dime that has
    (or will) be made or there might be millions sitting in bags. Of course few of these
    would survive even if they exist anyway so it might not matter.

I've seen a lot of PL dimes in circulation over the years. I've seen a lot in the mint
    sets as well but it's not always worth obtaining them because they can look bad.

It's a wonder that the moder PL's are so ignored. You could probably complete a
    quarter set and come close on the half dollar. The Ikes are almost easy except for
    the '74 and maybe the '73. Dimes would be tough for the '81-P, '82-P, and '85-D
    and a few more would be hard in a strong PL. One of these days I'll put together
    the sets. I probably have most of the coins. Of course I'll kick myself for every sin-
    gle one I ever spent because they were ugly.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 46S in PCGS 67FT that crossed from a NGC 67FT* holder. It is fully PL, but I did not resubmit for the designation, Onlyroosies has seen and can comment.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few nice pieces as well. From decades of collecting them. They mostly are "S" mint coins. Nice little project and if you find a nice one in a given year, you are doing well.

Also, silver Washington quarters as well come PL (try finding P and D coins - tough!!) And, not very often even full PL Lincoln cents (from the late 1940's and early 1950's). I bought a small collection once from a prominent "old time" figure in the coin biz who desired to sell off his small collection of "stuff" - the stuff contained a few nice PL Mint State Lincoln cents from the 1940's and 50's as well as some very neat fully PL business strike Mercury Dimes (carefully marked as such) - very cool coins. The Franklins are neat PL coins as well - often 49-S dated pieces. 1970-D Half dollars in full deep PL (coins that look like 70-S proofs) are very neat coins as well - I have found a handful in 30 years of searching. Finally, silver MS Ikes (1971S-74S) - there are some amazing deep PL specimens - very scarce coins especially in high grades

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin is correct about Mercs; a few 40S and 41S come with amazing mirrors.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Franklins, I have a 1959P MS Franklin that is prooflike. A very interesting coin with a look completely different from a regular MS Franklin.
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I have seen PL examples of many Jefferson 5c - early S-mint, late 1940's S-mint, 1964,1968-1970 come to mind. Also, when Washington 25c with type B reverses were produced in 1956-1964 at the Philly mint from previously used proof dies, the mint was undoubtedly re-using proof dies of all other denominations to produce business strike coins, hence PL examples are likely to exist for all these.

Michael
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check out this listing from julian's site

1946-S Roosevelt, Deep Mirror Proof-like Gem Uncirculated

This is the first Roosevelt Dime that I have ever listed, and although I own thousands of Roosevelts, this one is truly outstanding because it is a deep mirror proof-like. I spoke with an expert in branch mint proof-likes, Bill Paul, of Philadelphia, and was told that some other "S" dimes come proof-like, but this date is much rarer. Not the most valuable coin, but one of the most unusual 995.
  • Options
    I was able to see one of these dimes ManorCourtMan has.

The mirrors aren't dramatic at about 1/2" and the strike is far above
    average (~99.5%ile). The dies were basined somewhat but the main
    claim to being PL is that it was struck on a burnished planchet. I'd guess
    that they had a quantity in excess of their needs for mint and proof set
    production and just shipped them up to the coining floor. It's somewhat
    interesting to get some struck with new dies that were lightly basined.
    One often suspects intention with the things that come out of the mint.
    But it's not that unusual to have basined dies on the coining floor and all
    dies have to start new. It could be mere coincidence or it might indicate
    the mint is trying to get more high quality coinage out the door due to pu-
    blic demand. It is a Denver issue which is a little less common for "special"
    issues.

Over the years I've seen quite a few coins or sets that just look like they
    had a lot of help to get made. They just seem to defy the law of aver-
    ages.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was able to see one of these dimes ManorCourtMan has.

The mirrors aren't dramatic at about 1/2" and the strike is far above
    average (~99.5%ile). The dies were basined somewhat but the main
    claim to being PL is that it was struck on a burnished planchet. I'd guess
    that they had a quantity in excess of their needs for mint and proof set
    production and just shipped them up to the coining floor. It's somewhat
    interesting to get some struck with new dies that were lightly basined.
    One often suspects intention with the things that come out of the mint.
    But it's not that unusual to have basined dies on the coining floor and all
    dies have to start new. It could be mere coincidence or it might indicate
    the mint is trying to get more high quality coinage out the door due to pu-
    blic demand. It is a Denver issue which is a little less common for "special"
    issues.

Over the years I've seen quite a few coins or sets that just look like they
    had a lot of help to get made. They just seem to defy the law of aver-
    ages. >>

Great info Cladking!

I like the PL coin myself but rarely have I obtained them in high grade. JNs in particular. I've let quite a few of the other denominations pass me by. Of recent, a 1949-S PL JN which I knew about for years but when it finally surfaced, it had a flat cheek. Last week or so, a 1940-S PL in Teletrade but it too had a major problem in a long deep scratch along the base of the coat. A 1964-D PL I have has a similar problem. The 1940-D PL I have has a weak strike, something that bothers me since I blew $100 bucks on it in my naive days of collecting image
    The prooflike aspects of a coin has always been a extremely rare quality for me. I hold it in very high regards right next to the EDS strike. I have only a few coins in my collection that show both qualities. Add some beautiful toning, I'm down to two. I'm small potatoes when it comes to this very extreme end of collecting coins. image What's worse, there are very few collectors who have come to recognized the true rarity of these unique coins. Same goes for the TGS's. They will seldom see a coin come in (for the exception of Morgan dollars) that exhibit deep PL fields only to ignore that aspect and stick it in a lower grade. But if a coin only has color and luster, into a top pop it goes and watch the people go nuts.
    But I like it that way for now, keeps my prospects open . image
    A MS64, MS65 or MS66 example that exhibits an EDs strike and prooflike fields is far rarer then a certified MS67 coin that does not have those qualities and very few collectors realize that.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a thread without examples!
    imageimage

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see who has pictures of PL Roosies from 1965 - 1980, without SMS coins of course.
    Way tough finding PL during this fifteen year period as quality in the minting process was "VERY" poor.. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>What's a thread without examples!

Leo >>

Spactacular coins. Especially the '99 though I don't know how tough it is.

I'm with you in liking the PL's and early die states but a subcategory of one
    of these is my very favorite in moderns and cu/ni in general; strikes from new
    dies. The first 10 or 12 strikes are very appealing to me. They remind me of a
    brand new tire with the little threads of rubber still on it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to see who has pictures of PL Roosies from 1965 - 1980, without SMS coins of course.
    Way tough finding PL during this fifteen year period as quality in the minting process was "VERY" poor.. image >>

Some of these are pretty scarce.

PL's of these dates usually don't have the blazing luster that you get
    with polished planchets. They are very well struck from basined dies.
    These dies are usually polished which imparts a distinct luster.
    Tempus fugit.