Home U.S. Coin Forum

(: Colonial Era - 1737 Higley (Bolen Copy in Silver - ex. Ford) :)

I would really love to own a Higley Copper... but out of my reach... maybe one day... but for now... a recent purchase from the fine folks at CRO...
This coin has it's own intriguing history. Below is a brief summary (thanks to John from CRO for help writing the captions).

"Higley" Coppers were named after Dr. Samuel Higley (1687-1737) of Simsbury (now East Granby), Connecticut.
Produced in 1737 - 1739, these pieces represent the first copper coins struck in North America.
Today approximately 75 original pieces exist and the Higley Coppers are one of the classic rarities in the American colonial series.

In 1864, John Bolen of Springfield, Massachusetts recreated dies of the 1737 Higley VALUE OF THREE PENCE copper.
Examples were struck in copper and brass, with a few additional pieces produced in silver.
Today perhaps one dozen pieces survive in silver.

(original coin photo by Mark Goodman)

I am also working with fellow board member tmot99 to build a custom holder for this which will contain the original Ford Auction Envelope / Insert.
Below is my photo composite provided to tmot99 for my order... will update with "Real" photos when the holder comes in.

** UPDATE **
Received holder and assembled today... wow what an amazing presentation and great quality... Has the look and feel of something you would see in a Museum!
Many Kudos to Tom for a fantastic product! Here are some shots below of the holder:

-sm

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file