Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876 CC 20 cents cancelled dies & pewter impressions

This photo, courtesy of Debby Noffsinger (a Coins in the Classroom student), shows the restored/preserved canceled Carson City dies that coiner Ken Hopple brought along to ANA Summer Seminar. The uniface pewter impressions from the dies were made using a hydraulic process. The two pewter pieces sold as a group for around $500 to the secretary of my local coin club, John Barber.

Comments

• Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    Can you see the doubled LIBERTY, or is the die too pitted/rusted?
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    This die doesn't have doubled Liberty.
  • Options
    It was proved that this die pair was not the pair that actually made business strikes.

Interesting stuff! I have a pair of these myself.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the obverse die a few years ago when Ken was just in the last process of "cleaning" them. During my visit at the CC Mint to look through their records, I saw a bunch of the dies in various stages refurbishing and was told that no 20-cent pieces dies were found. On my last evening I was visiting with Ken (who is a heck of a nice guy!) and he brought out a box of a dozen or so dies . As he set down the box down I reached in and pulled out the obverse die...my heart rate must have been over 200! He did not recognize it as a twenty-cent die but thought it was a quarter. He was surprised that as I was reaching for it I told him that this was indeed a twenty-cent piece die.

Alas, the diagnostics of it being "THE" obverse die for the 76-CC were obliterated by rust and decay. The CC Mint did, however, received six sets of dies from the Philadelphia Mint for use in 1876, so the odds were low that it was the fabled doubled-die obverse die. I was able to make lead and clay impressions at the time even though the dies had not been fully "finished."

It was years later that Ken found and worked on the reverse die (which I have not yet examined). It is wonderful that he was allowed to bring them from the Nevada State Museum and share them with fellow collectors.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lane,

Ken had sent me the actual pair of 1876 & CC Twenty Cent Dies,
    but as you mentioned, they were way too corroded to see any
    doubling of Liberty, or to match the placement of the CC on the
    reverse die. (this was about 2+ years ago)

I tried, but couldn't match either one of the dies to a struck
    1876-CC Twenty Cent piece.....

He was nice enough to send me an impression-set from the
    dies, which I was able to keep....neat item!

Fred
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Very cool, Fred. I look forward to seeing the CC die in hand someday...I need to make another pilgrimage to the Nevada State Museum. Ken is an extraordinarily polite and generous person with "his babies."

See you in Baltimore!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    I'll be making a webpage with lots of Debby Noffsinger's shots of Ken Hopple's CC dies and such fairly soon and uploading it to the Greater Houston Coin Club webpage, where I am the new webmaster.
    Debby shot over 400 images during her week in Colorado Springs and she just gave my local club an educational presentation, along with fellow Coins in the Classroom teacher, Gaylen Chadwick, about their experiences during Summer Seminar.
    Debby had never really been interested in coins previously, but the experience really caught her fancy, which is recognizable in both her photographic subject matter and the enthusiasm she expressed during her club presentation last Thursday night. And since the Coins in the Classroom course was so in-depth, it was like Debby was birthed as a coin collector in a wide variety of areas all at once, in distinction to an average collector who likely develops their tastes and experiences over great spans of time. It's been quite inspiring to me to observe Debby's sense of wonder and new found excitement in numismatics.

p.s. - I forgot to add that John Barber won the 1876 CC canceled die pewter impressions for around $500 at the ANA Summer Seminar Young Numismatists scholarship auction. So it is great that both Ken Hopple and John Barber were able to contribute to next year's YN scholarships in that fashion.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing the photos. Please be sure to post a link here.

The highlight of my trip to the Nevada State Museum was seeing a 1876-CC 20 cent piece (I think it was cleaned, though).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be making a webpage with lots of Debby Noffsinger's shots of Ken Hopple's CC dies and such fairly soon and uploading it to the Greater Houston Coin Club webpage, where I am the new webmaster.
    Debby shot over 400 images during her week in Colorado Springs and she just gave my local club an educational presentation, along with fellow Coins in the Classroom teacher, Gaylen Chadwick, about their experiences during Summer Seminar.
    Debby had never really been interested in coins previously, but the experience really caught her fancy, which is recognizable in both her photographic subject matter and the enthusiasm she expressed during her club presentation last Thursday night. And since the Coins in the Classroom course was so in-depth, it was like Debby was birthed as a coin collector in a wide variety of areas all at once, in distinction to an average collector who likely develops their tastes and experiences over great spans of time. It's been quite inspiring to me to observe Debby's sense of wonder and new found excitement in numismatics.

p.s. - I forgot to add that John Barber won the 1876 CC canceled die pewter impressions for around $500 at the ANA Summer Seminar Young Numismatists scholarship auction. So it is great that both Ken Hopple and John Barber were able to contribute to next year's YN scholarships in that fashion. >>

During the week 2 auction, Mike Ellis was the high phone bidder for the set of impressions. I believe that set also went for around $500.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll be making a webpage with lots of Debby Noffsinger's shots of Ken Hopple's CC dies and such fairly soon and uploading it to the Greater Houston Coin Club webpage, where I am the new webmaster.

p.s. - I forgot to add that John Barber won the 1876 CC canceled die pewter impressions for around $500 at the ANA Summer Seminar Young Numismatists scholarship auction. So it is great that both Ken Hopple and John Barber were able to contribute to next year's YN scholarships in that fashion. >>

During the week 2 auction, Mike Ellis was the high phone bidder for the set of impressions. I believe that set also went for around $500.

Lane >>

It was $675, I recall.
  • Options
    Thanks, Will. That's even better for the YNs!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547
    Interesting, wish we could see larger pictures but still neat.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

sORRY, MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK IN CAPS LOCK.

tHAT'S A COOL ITEM! vERY HISTORICAL.

iS THERE ANY MORE DIES FLOATING AROUND FROM THIS TIME PERIOD?

-wES
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>sORRY, MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK IN CAPS LOCK.

-wES >>

Yep, but it's a VERYYYYYY well kept secret on the location where he has found these.
    He made one of these pewter impressions last year from a different cancelled die and it sold for, what I thought was, much cheaper than the OP's.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting, wish we could see larger pictures but still neat. >>

Actually, those pictures are pretty poor. I know that some very good pictures were taken of those during the first session by people in my Digital Coin Photography class. It's a shame those aren't here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>sORRY, MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK IN CAPS LOCK.

-wES >>

Yep, but it's a VERYYYYYY well kept secret on the location where he has found these.
    He made one of these pewter impressions last year from a different cancelled die and it sold for, what I thought was, much cheaper than the OP's. >>

They were found in an area right next to the mint building, IIRC, where thousands of the dies were buried. The archaeologists only let them dig up a thousand or so and are leaving the rest down there for future digs.
    Ken Hopple told us at Summer Seminar that he previously sold such pewter impressions for around $300. I asked Mike Ellis at the Session I YN auction if he thought the impressions would hammer at around $300. He said: "I wish!"
    The winner of the Session I impressions, John Barber, of Houston was a student in the digital photography course, so perhaps he has some better shots. I'm trying to get a collection of material out of him for uploading to the Greater Houston Coin Club Summer Seminar pages that I am developing.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that's cool!
  • Options
    Here's a Beta of the webpage we're working on about the dies. There are some photos of the rusted state, too, for contrast.
    Once the page is ready, I'll be transferring it to the club website and take it down from where it's at right now.

The conservation of Carson City Mint Dies
  • Options
    Wow looks sweet.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    get youself a 1878-cc quarter w/ a obverse cancelled die! not too rare & struck on a real planchet

K S
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a Beta of the webpage we're working on about the dies. There are some photos of the rusted state, too, for contrast.
    Once the page is ready, I'll be transferring it to the club website and take it down from where it's at right now.

The conservation of Carson City Mint Dies >>

Do you have a new link? I can't find the page. image
    Obscurum per obscurius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file