Home Metal Detecting
Options

Are sponsored Open Beach Hunts worth the registration and are they fun? Please advise.

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was doing some searching and found that there is a relatively local artifact club that is hosting an Open Beach Hunt. The price is $75 and I was wondering if anyone here has ever participated in something like this. Is it for "experts" only or tailored for the novice? Is it a push people/children out of the way kind of deal or do they seem to be pretty casual? Below is a link to the event.

Link to the Event

Comments

• Options
    Never participated, but when someone "plants" the stuff for you to find, more than likely you won't get your money's worth. Go buy $75 in scratch lottery tickets instead!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never tried one of these.... I like the mystery of finding stuff that has truly been lost or hidden.... This seems like it would be making a game out of it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    >> Is it a push people/children out of the way kind of deal <<

Hunts can be fun! BUT---It can be pushy at times. :-(

This hunt looks like a good one with good prizes.

$75 wow...Must be a BIG hunt. If you live close..it may be worth a try. With the price of gas, many "Hunts" have been called off because many people would not drive and motel/camp it.

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i know a few folks that attended the daytona beach shoot out seeded hunt and they highly recomended it....one of my local md club members found two tokens worth $700 clams , one won a fisher md, and yet another won the $5000 grand prize not to mention the planted silver they dug...i guess it depends who puts it on...maybe finding out what the prizes are and how much will be planted etc. will give you a better idea if its worth it......the daytona hunt is.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a good chance of finding coins that were not planted.

Al
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    our club has had beach hunts for many years. like anything, sometimes you do well, other times not. my success has been by staying calm and not rushing around furiously digging. my best times have been when i just walked slow. our fees are around $25 and i usually always come out on top.
  • Options
    There's only one and half hours of actual detecting time? Doesn't seem like very much.
    Is that usual?

Bob
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem is that they have to go out and plant the goods. What is stopping someone from watching them do that and going right out to grab the stuff?
  • Options
    Don't worry. They set off an area just for the hunt.
    Some clubs don't--will NOT let you a sand scoop. Some savy hunters try and wear a basket type thing on a leg. They just hand scoop into the basket and KEEP moving to the next target!
    Some clubs don't let those kind of baskets be used.

It is a SPEED contest. DON'T stop and look at what you find...put it in your pouch and get to the next target. SPEED!!! They don't plant things DEEP.

Just about ANY detector will do.

Some clubs don't allow the BigFOOT coil :-|

I see they want you to use headphones.

I also see they have TWO hunts>

Good Luck
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage