Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

HUGE run of PCGS Roosevelts in tonight's T.T.

Almost every date in MS-67 F.B. as well as a couple of MS-68's and a ton of top pop proofs and cameo's

Comments

• Shhh..... image
  • I gotta think this consignor would be better served by spacing those coins out over several weeks or even months of auctions.

Many collectors of that material have limited budgets.

So much high powered stuff in one auction means many will have to limit their bidding in order not to go over budget.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    i gotta say that unless the seller inherited them or found them in an old suitcase ;

he or she is not going to do well profit wise ...............alot of them might not sell due to reserve's
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received an E-mail from the seller giving me a "Heads up" about the sale. If it were me, I would not have sold them on TT in 1 Lg grouping, but in several sales to spread out the bidders.

I asked him if his collection was the Michigan collection and he said NO. I would have to believe him d/t a few certain coins were missing such as a 1967 MS68FB (2/0)

I won 3 coins and I will list them when I get them.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this have been part of the JHF "Just Having Fun" collection that was being talked about on these boards earlier this summer? The post stated that part of the collection may go to TT. Shag
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a classic example of what Stewart Blay said in his interview. "Collectors sell their collections
    to soon". My guess would be that the seller took a hit on many of these coins. The 58D MS68 previously
    sold at Heritage for $3450 and resold on TT tonight for $1750 plus juice. I was especially shocked
    at how low some of the MS68FB clads sold for. Pop 3 $400. I think I bought 11 or 12 coins tonight.
    1956 MS66FB for $180. Send me all you have at $250. Definitely wrong format and wrong timing.
    I don't believe this set was a registry set. Low pop silver FB's did well, all others did not.
  • I bought 7 coins...

ms67 73-p and 83-d
    and ms68 76-d,86-p,88-p,90-d,94-p.

I felt like I got them pretty darn cheap. I would have bid on more if I knew they would be so little. If anyone bought the ms68fb 88-d, 89-d, 92-p and ms68 95-d, and wants to make a profit, I'll buy them in a month or so for more.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked at all the silver coins and did not like any...even the 58D in 68 was disappointing...I've seen a dozen prettier 67s.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Taking a loss is not the words I would use.
    These coins went for a lot less than I thought they would. I wasnt home when this went down But I
    found myself with 10 more dimes to add to the collection. I thought my Max bids might of been to low,
    Nice surprise to me.
    Looking at some of us that posted, We picked up a nice selection of Mint Coins.
    Did anyone pick-up any of the Top Proofs?

BILL

Edit to add---I just deleted 184 that I didnt win and or didnt bet on......Way to many for one auction......................
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Looks like sombody got a great deal on that 64SMS.
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    LR that was me bidding against you on that 1976-D MS68. A nice coin in my opinion, and one of the nicer non band coins sold today.
    I didn't fare so well, one of five I was shooting for. Someone throw out some more, I still have some money left. image
    Dan
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah...didn't even see this thread until now...
    I was watching, and bidding, on some of those (not the MS68 ones though....)....no wonder I didn't win any.
    Not only were the usual characters watching/bidding, but the thread was on them.

I was underbidder on 2-3 and lost on 4 anyway.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to all the buyers on those "give away" dimes last night. I saw the coins on TT myself, but I am on vacation and used great restraint to avoid the auction and enjoy the vacation. None of the coins were JHF dimes obviously. When you put coins in an auction (any auction) at no reserve (or silly low reserves), sometimes you do OK and sometimes you don't. I generally do not accept consignments at no reserve - too many situations like last night. I do not like to report "bad news" to consignors. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    "Looks like sombody got a great deal on that 64SMS"
    gosh i guess at $2,050 that was a rip
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Very surprising to see the 58-D 68FB pop.1 go that cheaply!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Too much all at once...
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
    ""Very surprising to see the 58-D 68FB pop.1 go that cheaply!""

The coin was not FB. There are actually 2 other 58-D's PCGS graded MS68FB. This was not one of them.
    Very bad pic of the 58D I might ad. I once owned that coin, Very pretty

• << <i>Taking a loss is not the words I would use.
    These coins went for a lot less than I thought they would. I wasnt home when this went down But I
    found myself with 10 more dimes to add to the collection. I thought my Max bids might of been to low,
    Nice surprise to me.
    Looking at some of us that posted, We picked up a nice selection of Mint Coins.
    Did anyone pick-up any of the Top Proofs?

BILL

Edit to add---I just deleted 184 that I didnt win and or didnt bet on......Way to many for one auction...................... >>

I picked up the 1954 PR 67DC. I'm not sure what to think of the coin, judging by the pics. The obverse looks a little weak. But I am so very shocked I picked it up for that price. It sold at Heritage in 2007 for double the amount I paid. 1954 DC's just don't come up for auction, so I thought this was a win/win. I also picked up a 1964 PR 69DC, from the pics it looks like it has a bold even cameo. I wish I had more money, there were some very nice pieces.

I was watching the 1973 PR 70DC, until the bids took off like a rocket. Can you believe the price? image
  • JBdimesJBdimes Posts: 91 ✭✭
    New to postings, but I would add that this was my first major Teletrade purchase, I bid on nine MS 67-68FB dimes and won 4 of them....great adds to my set. I also had a heads up email from the owner that there were alot listed in this auction.

I am looking forward to having them in hand for a closer look but do not feel I will be disappointed.

Is there going to be another string on JHF sale soon, I will be saving for that!

JB
  • I picked up the 1954 PR 67DC. I'm not sure what to think of the coin, judging by the pics. The obverse looks a little weak. But I am so very shocked I picked it up for that price. It sold at Heritage in 2007 for double the amount I paid. 1954 DC's just don't come up for auction, so I thought this was a win/win. I also picked up a 1964 PR 69DC, from the pics it looks like it has a bold even cameo. I wish I had more money, there were some very nice pieces.

I was watching the 1973 PR 70DC, until the bids took off like a rocket. Can you believe the price? image >>

P.R.R.
    Nice pick-up on the 1954 PR67DCAM. I was torn between bidding on the proofs or going for the MS's. I decided to leave the Proofs and fill in some other gaps in the Mint collection. Way to many good deals and not enough CASH..........
    We will see what bench mark this will set on other coins coming up for bids.

BILL
    I for one wish more people would do the email thingie to me when they have coins for sale.
    I was aware of this sale before the email, but that may not always be the case.

Well I'm off to search two boxs of 07-P dimes. Still hoping to make a MS68FB in 07-P. image
    Dan
  • I agree with you Dan. I wish people wouldn't be so shy to PM.
    On a better note---
    Good luck on the 07's, I had none with the ones I went through.image
    We are all looking forward to your skilled eyeball's to find the one,or maybe two MS68FB'simage

BILL
  • stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    The one I wanted went for plenty. 1965 Sms MS68 Cameo. I think it was about $3,500-
  • MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I was also watching the 1965 - once it blew through $2,000 - I went and turned the baseball game on - image

I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Thanks BSHINC,

Hey guys, I thought I'd give an update on my purchace. First is the 1954 67DC. After viewing the coin in hand, pacing back and forth, calling myself idiot for such a purchase, I've come to realize it was a great buy. The coin is what I was hoping for, and a bit more. From the TT pics, I thought the cameo contrast was DC to (-) as Tomaska would describe it, and I was right, it is deserving of the DC status. Here are a couple of my pics, enjoy because you will seldom see a 1954 DC Roosevelt.

1954 67DC
    image,image

And for the 1964 I purchaced, the contrast looked monster, but you can never tell from TT. So the first pics are of my original 1964 and the second is of the recent purchace. No lighting or camera changes, I'm not that good. But the difference, the new purchace reminds me of a modern proof, it's a beaut!!

old purchace 1964 69DC
    image,image

new purchace 1964 69DC
    image,image
    Looks like a modern!!
    Welcome JBdimes, don't be a stranger here from now on.
    Is your set listed, or hidden?

As for JHF's coins, don't expect to buy those cheap.
    Mitch, (Wondercoin) is going to see that you pay top dollar and beyond for the dimes in JHF's set.
    Thats his job and he's good at it, getting his client top dollar for top grade coins.
    Now the stuff on TT now, from JHF is like his extras and such.
    The real knock you on your a** coins are still to come. ... image
    Dan
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards JB! image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan: Moving forward, I expect that many of the clad dimes I consign to Teletrade will be JHF's #1 set pieces, as that clad dime set is sold off. It has only been the silver dime set that was set for auction (anticipated to be with Superior and probably at the January FUN auction). Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

• << <i>The real knock you on your a** coins are still to come. ... image >>

Dan50,
    Was this last run of Roosevelts on TT from JHF set? If not, when does he plan to sell? I would be very interested in some proofs. Thanks for any info.
  • P.R.R.

I think you would probably need to talk to Wondercoin for more info.
    He is the Broker of the JHF Collections.

If you have a question, He will answer it- straight up.

BILL

PS---Seems to be quite a differance in the pictures. Super nice pick-up
  • TY BSHINC

<< <i>Dan50, >>

<< <i>Was this last run of Roosevelts on TT from JHF set? If not, when does he plan to sell? I would be very interested in some proofs. Thanks for any info. >>

ProofRainbowRoosevelt..Those were not JHF coins in the Teletrade fire sale.
    the following is A wondercoin post from earlier in this thread.

<< <i>Congrats to all the buyers on those "give away" dimes last night. I saw the coins on TT myself, but I am on vacation and used great restraint to avoid the auction and enjoy the vacation. None of the coins were JHF dimes obviously. When you put coins in an auction (any auction) at no reserve (or silly low reserves), sometimes you do OK and sometimes you don't. I generally do not accept consignments at no reserve - too many situations like last night. I do not like to report "bad news" to consignors. Wondercoin >>

As for when will JHF's coins come up on TT?
    BSHINC is correct, you will need to get with Wondercoin for that information.
    But his #1 silver set

<< <i> is set for auction (anticipated to be with Superior and probably at the January FUN auction). Wondercoin. >>

Dan
  • Thanks Dan50,
    I contacted wondercoin, so I'm assuming they will not go up on TT, maybe HA?? In the mean time, does JHF have his set in a registery I can view? I've looked at the PCGS proof registery but can't find it, maybe I'm missing it, or looking at the wrong thing. I can't upgrade much from what I have, but thought he might have a coin I'd be interested in.
    PRR

I don't think JHF has any Proof Roosies, Only business strikes. All of his sets are listed on the
    registry. If you didn't find a Proof set listed in his name he doesn't have one.
    Very nice color on your eBay dimes Nick...image
    Dan
    PRR,

I believe that your 1954 67DC is a variety error if you look close enough. I believe it too be this: (FS-10-1954-101)

The (4) in 1954 has a cud or die chip underneath it at the base. If you were to send it in for the FS#, it would be worth a heck of alot more than what it is now.

JMHO,
    Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Stooge, or should I say "Eagle eye"?

I don't know much about variety errors, but I just looked up the pop on the '54 and there are only 3 in PR, and 0 Cam/DC. I took a closer look at the 4 and you're right, there is something going on with it. I don't know if it's the (FS-10-1954-101) you are talking about, here are a few close-ups.

• PRR

Stooge is on the Money with this one.
    Looking at the Cherrypickers Guide, it is a close match.
    Nice close up pics to show

BILL
  • I need to get one of those guides. What would be the best guide for proofs 1950-64?
    Paul is that fs # for the DDO FS-101?
    the book you sent me has no FS # listed for a 1954 proof coin.
    And this is the only # listed in the PCGS pops for a 1954 Proof.image
    Dan

<< <i>Paul is that fs # for the DDO FS-101?
    the book you sent me has no FS # listed for a 1954 proof coin.
    And this is the only # listed in the PCGS pops for a 1954 Proof.image >>

Listen...do yourself (And I) a favor and get the latest Cherry Pickers Guide and look it up. PRR's Dime is a dead on match with the Die chip under the (4). If he gets this dime put into a FS# slab he easily could triple his investment.

He gets a "YOU SUCK" from me!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • I bought the book and Paul is right, it's a dead match. From the thick obverse lettering, to the fat 4 and 9. I will be sending to PCGS shortly, and will update if PCGS attributes it. I can't thank Stooge enough for letting me know what I had!!! image THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! image

<< <i>I can't thank Stooge enough for letting me know what I had!!! image THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! image >>

Your bill is in the mail! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

• << <i>Dan: Moving forward, I expect that many of the clad dimes I consign to Teletrade will be JHF's #1 set pieces, as that clad dime set is sold off. It has only been the silver dime set that was set for auction (anticipated to be with Superior and probably at the January FUN auction). Wondercoin. >>

Why would anyone consign through a dealer to teletrade? Call and work a deal, it not hard, I just don' get it?