Home Metal Detecting

My second time out - Doubled my finds

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, I went out again yesterday with a little better idea of what I was doing. I took a knife to cut plugs in the grass and a bag to take away trash. I found about 62 cents and that's about it. It's weird that I was excited to find pennies, dimes, and a quarter. image My first time out I only found 12 cents, this time I found 1 statehood quarter, three dimes, a nickle, and two pennies. If I keep that up, I'll be a millionair in notime image

My detector was picking up on glass, it must be lead or something, it was green. It was about two inches in the sand path to the parking lot, I threw it away. I also found a bunch of bottle caps, a battery, some fishing jigs, some cans, some wire, and got bit by a lot of mesquitos.

Two questions I have.

When is the best time to go beach hunting? Is there any good times? Early in the morning instead of late in the evening? Wet/damp vs dry?
Why can't I get my DFX to balance on the beach? It never will. All I get is unable to balance so off I go.

Comments

• Best time to beach hunt.."late in the evening" would be best, but I don't want to be on the beach with a bunch of drunk beach bums. I tend to go EARLY AM and try for LOW TIDE.
    Beach weather? Dry is ok for me. Rain = I don't go. I hunt wet & dry sand.

Balance? I run pre amp of 4 and don't have a problem on a salt beach -West Coast

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Congrats on the progress image
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    *** I found about 62 cents and that's about it. It's weird that I was excited to find pennies, dimes, and a quarter. My first time out I only found 12 cents, this time I found 1 statehood quarter, three dimes, a nickle, and two pennies. ***

This is how addictions are formed!!! image
    Be Still and Know
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Progress... and the addiction grows... Cheers, RickO