Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Round Brenner Lincoln Plaque

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last week I felt the overwhelming urge to spend some money...and buy a coin (or something sort of like one).

This Lincoln Plaque caught my eye.....and with the help of auctionsniper it soon had a new owner. So it came in today, and after some cleaning (well, its not a coin) in acetone and a some Olive oil, it is once again a fine example of Brenners art.

I will eventually make the wooden plaque it went on (which looks like cherry from the one original Ive seen) but for now.....ENJOY!

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what size is the plaque?
  • Options
    6.5 inches in diameter, and fairly heavy. One interesing feature with this is that the left side of the field is 'raised' in relation to the right side. No wonder VDB was a thorn in the side of the us mint. "ya cant make a coin like that Vic, dont ya know that?"
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Congrats again Ambro, it's gorgeous !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I love it!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    That is a neat item. Congrats!
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's friggin' cool. How thick is it?
  • Options
    Yeah I love it too.

The Medallic full bust version that Brenner uses here was also his original intention with the cent coin. Of course it was not practical...most artists are poor technicians and was changed to its present look by powers above. Brenner changed this bust some from the rectangular plaque, most apparant is much greater detail in the coat, on the round plaque. Both renditions have all the details, such as the beard and hair very abstractly detailed, with a rounded soft look instead of point sharp graven hair detail. Both pieces much more reprresent the look of a sculpted bronze rather than the working template for a coin design.

Funny to think that when that was brand new.....you could show that to people...and no one would say "Hey that looks like a giant penny!"

Its about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. I think this is an electrotype, made that way since the rear is different from the front and it has an odd ring to it....the 1907 plaque too was an electrotype but that was unbacked.

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    That is really nice! It would look great somehow mounted with a set of lincolns
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is realllllly nice!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I like it. What a great acquisition.image
  • Options
    65ish?
  • Options
    Many thanks to fellow forum member Jonathanb who discovered an auction record of this plaque

Presidential Coin & Antique Co.
    Auction #59
    December 5, 1995
    Lot 504

RARE AND UNLISTED LINCOLN PLAQUE, CA. 1909. 170mm. (6 3/4"). Foundry cast Bronze. About Uncirculated. 4 screw holes for mounting on the reverse. In addition, a mounting wire has been affixed. Portrait bust of Lincoln to the right, as on S-83. 1809 behind his shoulder and 1856 [sic -- photo shows 1909] in the lower right field. V.D. BRENNER signature near the rim at 8:00.
    A similar 4 1/2" medallion is known affixed to a gigantic cast bronze plaque by Gorham which contains the entire text of the Gettysburg Address. A fine display piece and a must for the Lincoln or Brenner collector.

Im thinking this was a nice buy!!! The plaque auctioned above was not the same one as mine, since the four bumps on the back have not been drilled or tapped for mounting screws. Very interesting!!

(My wife called it a trivet image }
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    We're dieing to know what something like this sells for. It's beautiful.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Its one of those things that I suppose is so rare that no set price can be established. The one I saw in the Heritage archives sold for 3700$, a year and a half ago. I sniped mine (thank you whoever invented auctionsniper.com image ) for 816$ and at this point that is looking like a very good buy.

If nothing else....it sure made for a sweet icon!

• Options
    Finally I think the answer has came as to what my round brenner lincoln plaque is. It is the cornerpiece of a large plaque made by Gorham.

Here it is,
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Neat find!!
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Way cool!!!!

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options

It’s For Sale. $3500. PM me to arrange payment. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file