Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

From PCGS Website: Stewart Blay Interview with David Hall - Very interesting interview!!! Huge Blay

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
Stewart Blay Interview with David Hall

- July 11, 2008
Rarely do coin collectors get the chance to enjoy candid conversations between two of the leading numismatists of our time. Now, PCGS has made just such an interview available on the company website www.pcgs.com.

In conjunction with the appearance of his legendary Red Copper Collection in the PCGS booth at the upcoming ANA convention in Baltimore, Stewart Blay was kind enough to spend a few minutes in conversation with PCGS founder David Hall. David is certainly a man who knows just what questions to ask Stewart about his amazing collection and coin collecting in general.

Sponsored by the PCGS Set RegistrySM, the entertaining yet informative video will be featured at the PCGS Booth (#1245). For those who are unable to attend the ANA convention, it is now available to view here.

In addition to the story behind the Red Copper Collection, the two experts cover a variety of topics of interest to collectors of all levels, including:

Stewart's first venture into coin collecting
Why he first started collecting graded coins
Lessons learned the hard way
Why he is so enamored with copper
A common mistake made by today's coin collectors
The future of copper collecting
Why Lincoln cents are a great choice

PCGS Link

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if Stewart asked why they won't upgrade any of his copper? image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

He looks like a NYC cab driver.

WTF...Stewart always wears all black....is this some drug induced forced confession?image

Great interview but don't think the Copper Fox is telling all his secrets. image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder if Stewart asked why they won't upgrade any of his copper? >>

That was a very interesting interview. Seventeen minutes in length but worth the time.

Mike
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Very good interview, I enjoyed it.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wasn't this done face to face, isn't Value Jet still 99 bucks image

Couldn't watch the whole thing... did the elevator door ever open image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    He's doing quite a bit of bullshltting too. image

It's like asking a fox if he likes chicken and what his favorite farm is. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it got me interested in copper
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>it got me interested in copper >>

It got me interested in NON Die Caps! imageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    The video shut down twice at about 2:00 minutes while I was watching, so I missed most of it. I'll try again later, but don't keep me in suspense . . . did the orange underwear come out?
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else having problems getting past about the 2 minute mark in the video?

Tried watching it three times now makes it to about 1:45 then closes.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    You could tell he is a true collector that really enjoys time with his coins. That is the best part of this hobby for me.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was worth the time. I hope PCGS does more of these in the future.

As a bit of constructive criticism, I'll note that Stewart is far more animated, opinionated, controversial, enthusiastic and entertaining in person. Perhaps a different interview format would have been better. If Halfsense is reading this, I'd like to hear his thoughts and suggestions.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the beginning of his story is similiar to mine
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't reconcile two comments. On one hand he couldn't recall any coin that he regretted not getting when he wanted it. On the other, hand, he hasn't been too active in buying lately because he keeps getting outbid???
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess all the RD's in the film were Stuarts...but does he own the nicely toned Matties toward the end? His reg set....must of course be RD! Does Stuart also have an eye for a nicely toned Mattie?
  • Options
    I couldn't reconcile two comments. On one hand he couldn't recall any coin that he regretted not getting when he wanted it. On the other, hand, he hasn't been too active in buying lately because he keeps getting outbid???

There's a difference between disappointment and regret.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you smiled during this interview, you are likely a coin geek.

image I'm guilty
    This was an awesome interview and I would recommend this over "dancing with the stars" any old day.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Interesting, well worth the 18 minutes.

One key theme was the concern over the "in and out" collectors, and that truly great collections are built over several years, or even decades.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One key point was the concern over the "in and out" collectors, and that truly great collections are built over several years, or even decades.

I agree with this and its admirable that there are folks,like Stewart Blay,with the sticktoitiveness to actually hang onto their coins for more than just a few years.As was stated in the interview,decades and $$$ is what it takes to assemble a great collection like Blay's and I'm thinking it takes decades to assemble a "not necessarily great" (expensive slabbed mint-state coins) but still,"really nice" collection.However,life circumstances don't always allow for the collector to hang onto their best coins for decades.

I thought the interview was interesting and entertaining. Some of those cents in Blay's collection give me goose bumples!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a similar interview where Blay interviews Lawrence Stack image
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    One key point was the concern over the "in and out" collectors, and that truly great collections are built over several years, or even decades.

When I started collecting 40 years ago, I constantly changed my focus. I don't see why a newbie shouldn't be expected to do the same today. For many of us, that's what it takes to find our way as a collector.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    I would like to see a similar interview where Blay interviews Lawrence Stack

Sounds even better than lunch with JH! (Sorry, Jim.)
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He strikes me as a real coin geek, but then.......image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff. Stewart doesn't seem nearly as dorky in the video as his posts on the forum. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One key point was the concern over the "in and out" collectors, and that truly great collections are built over several years, or even decades.

When I started collecting 40 years ago, I constantly changed my focus. I don't see why a newbie shouldn't be expected to do the same today. For many of us, that's what it takes to find our way as a collector. >>

That's fine --- I think the "in and out" guys being referred to are the collectors with deep pockets who buy plastic and build "top" sets, and then sell them quickly and move on to another hobby.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having too much trouble with the video; will watch it at the ANA.

I never realized that HRH wasn't in the room. I couldn't figure that out!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll "bet" Stuart is one heck of a poker player too!
  • Options
    << One key point was the concern over the "in and out" collectors, and that truly great collections are built over several years, or even decades.>>

<When I started collecting 40 years ago, I constantly changed my focus. I don't see why a newbie shouldn't be expected to do the same today. For many of us, that's what it takes to find our way as a collector. >

That's fine --- I think the "in and out" guys being referred to are the collectors with deep pockets who buy plastic and build "top" sets, and then sell them quickly and move on to another hobby.

Of course he was. But my point is that it's all the same. It's just strange for the old-timers to see the newbies swimming like pros in the deep end of the pool.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting video.

I feel glad for all the collectors who will get to see Stewart's Collection in Baltimore. It's likely to be a once in lifetime event.
  • Options

<< <i>image

He looks like a NYC cab driver.

WTF...Stewart always wears all black....is this some drug induced forced confession?image

Great interview but don't think the Copper Fox is telling all his secrets. image >>

The 'Copper Fox".......................................

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched and listened. Very informative and many points made by Mr. Blay resonate with me.

I wonder how the non collecting general public would react if they saw the video clip, with half seeing it before viewing the Baly collection at the ANA and have seeing it after the viewing the Blay collection.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool video & I hope they do more of them. Can't wait to see the ANA display.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Looking forward to meeting Stewart in person and seeing his collection. image
  • Options
    I hope Stewart brings his 1938 PR67CA Lincoln Cent to the ANA in Baltimore.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Cool ass interview. Thanks!

TC71
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, actually, didn't like the interview all that much. I wish that Mr. Hall had asked Mr. Blay more questions about how collecting intersects with his professional life (Mr. Blay is a scupltor.) I'd be really interested in hearing how his artist's eye evaulates coins and if he sees any linkage between his collection and his personal life. I'd also like Mr. Blay to share more stories of the "hunt" for a particular coin or coins. As I recall, one of his double die coins (is it a 1959 double die?) took a long time to acquire--I thought the story behind this would be fascinating. In other words, I wish the interview had delved more deeply into Mr. Blay's passion for coins and how and why it developed. As it is, I thought the interview was interesting but I also thought it could have been longer and more in depth.
    Mark

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldbully: Thanks for informing us about David Hall's Telconference interview with Stewart Blay. Although I am more of a silver and gold coin collector, I watched the entire interview and enjoyed Stewart sharing his love and reasoning for his enjoyment of collecting copper coins.

I think that there is a common love, drive and intellectual curiosity that drives true collectors of all rare and beautiful objects, which is very different from the commercial motivations of investors.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options

<< <i>Goldbully: Thanks for informing us about David Hall's Telconference interview with Stewart Blay. Although I am more of a silver and gold coin collector, I watched the entire interview and enjoyed Stewart sharing his love and reasoning for his enjoyment of collecting copper coins.

I think that there is a common love, drive and intellectual curiosity that drives true collectors of all rare and beautiful objects, which is very different from the commercial motivations of investors. >>

You're welcome, and well said, Stuart!!! image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting interview. Mr. Hall would have been a more effective interviewer if he had been in the same room as Mr. Blay.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting interview. Mr. Hall would have been a more effective interviewer if he had been in the same room as Mr. Blay. >>

Yeah, that's a real "pisser", eh ? image
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Goldbully - The 1938 Proof 67 red cameo cent is the finest Brilliant Proof cent 1936 -1942 I have ever seen.You will fall in Love when you see it.

Andy - I thought the interview went very well .I tried to be attentive and answer Davids questions.The PCGS people did a great job.David Hall called me the other day and said he will be at the show.

I can promise everyone they will not be disappointed if they have to go out of their way to see this exhibit of coins.This will be the most sucessful exhibit PCGS has ever displayed.

BJ Searls ands her posse will be letting people see the coins in hand.I will also be there answering questions,telling stories and sharing my coins.

Stewart
  • Options
    Andy - I thought the interview went very well

Stewart - At the risk of sounding like I'm sucking up to a fat cat collector - image - I agree. I just think it could have been more effective if you played with HRH like you might play with Laura on these boards. Not that we needed to hear about full red underwear or anything like that, but some good natured jousting and over-the-top comments would have helped. Remember, this is all about attracting passionate collectors to the hobby, and they want to have some fun more than anything else. (Profits are just part of "having fun".) And the dispassionate investors left the building almost 20 years ago.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Goldbully - The 1938 Proof 67 red cameo cent is the finest Brilliant Proof cent 1936 -1942 I have ever seen.You will fall in Love when you see it.

Andy - I thought the interview went very well .I tried to be attentive and answer Davids questions.The PCGS people did a great job.David Hall called me the other day and said he will be at the show.

I can promise everyone they will not be disappointed if they have to go out of their way to see this exhibit of coins.This will be the most sucessful exhibit PCGS has ever displayed.

BJ Searls ands her posse will be letting people see the coins in hand.I will also be there answering questions,telling stories and sharing my coins.

Stewart >>

Stewart, I love it in that large TrueView pic, I can only wonder what it will be like "in hand" at ANA in Baltimore.

I look forward to meeting you and listening to some of the Copper Fox's coin stories!!

There are some pretty darn good copper collectors on this forum too!!!

BTW, loved the cap!! image

Michael
  • Options
    In case you missed Mr. Blay's 1938 PR67CA Lincoln Cent in my earlier post, here it is again........WOW!!!

I can't wait to see it at the ANA Baltimore show....I bet LeeG will check it out!!!

The 1938 Proof 67 red cameo cent is the finest Brilliant Proof cent 1936 -1942 I have ever seen.You will fall in Love when you see it.

Stewart Blay
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldbully:

Your quotation from Mr. Blay and your picture of his coin shows exactly what I'd have loved to hear Mr. Blay discuss and why the interview disappointed me. In particular, where did he first see this fantastic cent, did he have to pursue it for a lengthy period or was he able to buy it immediately? He has such fantastic coins I'd love to hear his stories about the coins and how he acquired them. For instance, how about his MS69 cent--I'd truly like to hear how he found that coin and his thoughts about it. I'm sure some he found and bought with no problem, but I bet others took some time and effort to acquire. The interview was OK but given its subject and his collecting accomplishments, I thought it could be much more.
    Mark

• Options
    A boost for numismatists. image

<< <i>
    Saturday July 12, 2008 2:22 PM (NEW!)

Goldbully - The 1938 Proof 67 red cameo cent is the finest Brilliant Proof cent 1936 -1942 I have ever seen.You will fall in Love when you see it.

Stewart
    >>

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see the collections, especially the FE/IHC stuff. LMS has a great eye and some great coins. It's worth the trip X-country just to see the 1877 Indian Princess one more time. image

The show down in Long Beach was one thing, but to see them ALL?? image

See you there. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Goldbully:

Your quotation from Mr. Blay and your picture of his coin shows exactly what I'd have loved to hear Mr. Blay discuss and why the interview disappointed me. In particular, where did he first see this fantastic cent, did he have to pursue it for a lengthy period or was he able to buy it immediately? He has such fantastic coins I'd love to hear his stories about the coins and how he acquired them. For instance, how about his MS69 cent--I'd truly like to hear how he found that coin and his thoughts about it. I'm sure some he found and bought with no problem, but I bet others took some time and effort to acquire. The interview was OK but given its subject and his collecting accomplishments, I thought it could be much more. >>

Mark,

I feel as you do, the interview was quite short.....we surely know that Mr. Blay could not give his all in a limited time window.

As per his response to my post of his exquisite 1938 Lincoln Proof, you got a sense of his passion!!!!

See the collection in Baltimore, and meet the man behind the copper.......that experience will be "much more!!!" image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector who has personally viewed the entire Norweb collection and was lucky enough to been given a personal "tour" of nearly each and every coin and medal by Ambassador and Mrs. Norweb themselves which altered my entire thought process of coin collecting back in the 70's, I look forward to this experience in Baltimore and hope that this experience will come somewhat close to the once in a lifetime experience of not just viewing a fabulous coin collection but also, as Mark says, get a mind altering experience by sitting with the collector(s) and getting a distinct feeling of their affection of not only his or her collection but also their beginnings, history and love of the hunt.

Also getting a better measure of the collector behind the collection by watching their eyes as they look and hold and handle their coins (even in a slab or 2x2) is priceless.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Also getting a better measure of the collector behind the collection by watching their eyes as they look and hold and handle their coins (even in a slab or 2x2) is priceless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file