Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2008-W 24-Karat American Buffalo Gold Fractional Coins Thread**If you got 'em, tell

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gold Buff buffs, your time has come......image

July 11, 2008

United States Mint Releases 24-Karat American Buffalo Gold Coins July 22

Program Expanded to Include Uncirculated Coins, Fractional Weights

Washington - The United States Mint announced today that it will begin accepting orders for fractional weights of the American Buffalo Gold Coin, now available in proof and uncirculated versions, on July 22, at 12 noon Eastern Time. Both versions of the coin will be offered in four sizes-one ounce ($50 denomination), one-half ounce ($25 denomination), one-quarter ounce ($10 denomination) and one-tenth ounce ($5 denomination)-as well as in four-coin sets that contain one coin in each size.

In 2006, the United States Mint introduced a proof version of the American Buffalo Gold Coin containing one ounce of 24-karat (.9999) gold. Based on market research, the Secretary of the Treasury authorized the United States Mint to strike and issue fractional denominations of the coin in proof and uncirculated versions.

Both the proof and uncirculated American Buffalo Coins feature designs based on the classic 1913, Type I Buffalo nickel, by James Earle Fraser. Depicted on the obverse is the striking image of a Native American in profile. An American Buffalo-also known as the bison-graces the coins' reverse. Inscriptions on the coins' obverse include the "W" mintmark of the United States Mint at West Point, the year and the word "Liberty." Inscriptions on the reverse include the face value and weight.

Each coin is encapsulated in protective plastic and mounted in an elegant, custom-designed hardwood presentation case. A Certificate of Authenticity is included.

Mintage and product limits for both the American Buffalo Gold Proof and Uncirculated Coins will be determined by customer demand. Pricing for all options is listed below.

Customers may place orders for the proof and uncirculated 2008 American Buffalo Coins at the United States Mint's secure Web site, www.usmint.gov. Orders also will be accepted at the toll-free number, 1-800- USA-MINT (872-6468).

Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time shown above shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Customer Service information: (800) USA MINT (872-6468)

Mint Link

Comments

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Looking ahead to these!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be bullion versions as well, or just the collector versions?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    Figures they would come out when gold is almost $1000/oz.
    Where were they when gold was $300??
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Premiums over spot (currently $960) for the Uncs

1 oz. 10.4%
    1/2 oz. 12.5%
    1/4 oz. 20.8%
    1/10 oz. 35.4%
    4 pc set 10.4%

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>Premiums over spot (currently $960) for the Uncs

1 oz. 10.4%
    1/2 oz. 12.5%
    1/4 oz. 20.8%
    1/10 oz. 35.4%
    4 pc set 10.4% >>

Wow, I was hoping to be able to actually afford one of these.image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those percentages are relatively expensive premiums for gold bullion, but hey - that's what the Mint's been doing these days. Grrrr.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Unlimited mintages kills all people who planned on flipping these coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Unlimited mintages kills all people who planned on flipping these coins. >>

I'm not a buyer here because of the unlimited mintages, and Kranky's bullion chart.

Not to mention the bulk submission for First Strike.....a necessary designation now for modern crap!! image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Like the First Spouse coins you will be able to purchase them at melt on Der Bay, I pass.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I would like to buy these, but I think I'm going to stick to purchasing gold bullion, not collector bullion. It's cheaper!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Like the First Spouse coins you will be able to purchase them at melt on Der Bay, I pass. >>

Good point, GAT.

Mintages on these will resemble the 1986 Gold Eagles, as with most first year of issue Coins
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    will not pay these outrageous prices, even though I'd love to have some.

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I cannot wait! I am going to get an UNC 1/10oz to use as my ball marker when I golf.

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options

<< <i>I cannot wait! I am going to get an UNC 1/10oz to use as my ball marker when I golf.

image >>

• Options
    rah1959rah1959 Posts: 964

<< <i>Premiums over spot (currently $960) for the Uncs

1 oz. 10.4%
    1/2 oz. 12.5%
    1/4 oz. 20.8%
    1/10 oz. 35.4%
    4 pc set 10.4% >>

Although I would love a example or two....in no way do I plan to pay those premiums....I'll stick to $20 Liberty and St Gaudens....can get nice old historic coins at or near spot.

I just can't play in the modern coin playground.

RAH
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the 1/4 oz about the same size as a Buffalo nickel? If so, it would be nice to have a sample of each in a PCGS multi slab.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    OK, so

1/2 oz AGE Unc. "W" is $565.95
    1/2 oz Spouse Unc. is $599.95, except for Dolley, which is $509
    1/2 oz Buffalo Unc. is $539.95

What's up with that ?!?!?!?image

• Options

<< <i>OK, so

1/2 oz AGE Unc. "W" is $565.95
    1/2 oz Spouse Unc. is $599.95, except for Dolley, which is $509
    1/2 oz Buffalo Unc. is $539.95

What's up with that ?!?!?!?image >>

I think they screwed up on pricing, because the proofs are way more expensive.

My guess, the Unc prices are wrong!!!!! image

• Options
    toreador74toreador74 Posts: 201 ✭✭
    The pricing seems "right" to me (uncs vs. proofs), but I don't understand how a coin with purer gold in it is less expensive than a 90/10 gold/copper coin. Can someone explain? Is it because more gold means a "softer" coin?
  • Options

<< <i>The pricing seems "right" to me (uncs vs. proofs), but I don't understand how a coin with purer gold in it is less expensive than a 90/10 gold/copper coin. Can someone explain? Is it because more gold means a "softer" coin? >>

I respectfuly disagree as to the pricing being "right."

Check out the pricing on the 2008W AGE's..........there's an $80 difference on the 1/2oz gold buffs, while there is only a $44 difference on the 1/2oz AGE's

$140 vs. $80 on the 1oz. version.....that's a lot!!!!

imageimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be my imagination, but it appears to me that the Mint is reflecting the government's (unspoken) inflation expectations with this pricing..........

I think that they know that gold is going higher and have priced these coins accordingly.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    toreador74toreador74 Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>I respectfuly disagree as to the pricing being "right." >>

<< <i>Check out the pricing on the 2008W AGE's..........there's an $80 difference on the 1/2oz gold buffs, while there is only a $44 difference on the 1/2oz AGE's >>

Ok, I can understand where you're coming from by looking at this info again... it does seem like the markup on the Buffaloes is twice that of the Eagles especially on the one oz. coins, even taking into account the different gold compositions. However, if I were the Mint I would do the same thing - it is a reasonable "guess" that gold prices are going higher in the near future, so I will price accordingly to make up for it without taking it off the market repeatedly to adjust pricing. I am selling a 24 karat gold coin that investors may want to own because it is purer gold than the Eagle (more demand, especially from overseas). I am selling a coin with a classic American design for the first time in fractional sizes that the average collector or special gift-giver can afford even with the markup (more demand again). I am selling a coin with a potential high mintage, therefore I will make it more expensive to own to try to keep the mintage down to a manageable level while lessening the chance of coin flipping on eBay. The US Mint is a quasi-business - they know that at least some people will buy these coins at least in the first year as a type. Is this most people's definition of "fair", probably not, but it is economics.

By the way, while I am seriously interested in a 1/4 oz unc Buff, the $290 price is turning me off - especially when I think of the number and quality of Buffalo Nickels (approx. same size with original design) I could get for the same price.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unlimited mintages kills all people who planned on flipping these coins. >>

Just a quick reminder that this is exactly what was said with regard to the 2006-W Silver Eagle by folks on this very board.

My advice, if you want one and can afford one, don't let the speculated price keep you from ordering one from the source as the US Mint has a huge bag of surprises.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Based on this statement from the Mints web page.

"Both the proof and uncirculated American Buffalo Coins feature designs based on the classic 1913, Type I Buffalo nickel, by James Earle Fraser. Depicted on the obverse is the striking image of a Native American in profile. An American Buffalo-also known as the bison-graces the coins' reverse. Inscriptions on the coins' obverse include the "W" mintmark of the United States Mint at West Point, the year and the word "Liberty." Inscriptions on the reverse include the face value and weight."

It appears to me that they are adding the "W" to the Unc. Thus we will have a 1oz Proof, Unc. "W" and an Unc. no "W" bullion. (plus fractionals with "W") Correct me if i'm wrong.

Now, if there was NOT a "W", I could see the reason for pricing the Unc. less than the AGE Unc. "W", but with the "W", it doesn't make much sense to price them below the AGE while the price of gold is going up.

Contrary to some opinions, it looks like the Unc. Buffalo's are a DEAL and the Proofs are inline with the AGE Proofs.

I'd have to agree with 19Lyds, that if you want an Unc., and it is a "W", you might want to jump on it.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to each his own

I recently bought a beautiful 100 year old Saint, PCGS 64
    and paid $50 less than they want for the 1 oz proof

It's a no brainer for me
    I consider myself a coin collector

but to each his own
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $240 over spot for the proof? No thanks. image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for the 1/4 oz. Buffalo. About the same size as a nickel, a 24kt gold buffalo nickel, very cool.

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankgoodness that they aren't putting the date on the edge image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    These will be selling below melt price before you know it. A waste of money.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These will be selling below melt price before you know it. A waste of money. >>

ummm...... no, they won't, I dare say ever sell below melt. (excluding some weird isolated eBay aberration)

Are any of you really surprised the AGB proofs are priced higher than the AGE proofs????

The AGE's are 22 years old now, and the Buffalo's are the far more popular new kid on the block.

The U.S. Mint recognizes these are the most anticpated coins of 2008.

It won't be a buy and flip situation unless production issues create temporary shortages, but they will be wildly popular.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I agree these will be wildly popular and will never sell at melt. I also agree these won't ever command a significant numismatic premium--not in their first year. Later, maybe, after the hoopla dies down. I would think the potential for the gold St. Gaudens knock-off in '09 is much better if the Mint places a reasonable production limit on them. If no limit, it'll be the same story as these buffalos. Still, it's just great to see some beautiful new gold coins coming out. I'm probably in for all of them.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'm broke, but I'll probably try to buy the wood box (no coins) off ebay...image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    What to do? The coins are attractive and I would love to have a collection of them but they are so overpriced that the odds of ever selling them for more than I paid will be slim.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These will be selling below melt price before you know it. A waste of money. >>

ummm...... no, they won't, I dare say ever sell below melt. (excluding some weird isolated eBay aberration)

Are any of you really surprised the AGB proofs are priced higher than the AGE proofs????

The AGE's are 22 years old now, and the Buffalo's are the far more popular new kid on the block.

The U.S. Mint recognizes these are the most anticpated coins of 2008.

It won't be a buy and flip situation unless production issues create temporary shortages, but they will be wildly popular.

John >>

FWIW, I have some 2006 gold buffalo proofs in the original box I can sell you for spot +$40, cash and carry. The Proof gold eagles we can wholesale out at +$120 or so.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    My point wasn't that the eagles are currently worth less. My point was that the Buffalo's will command more out of the gate due to greater demand.
    I made no reference to the aftermarket to which you are referring....

John

Edited to include:

Further, my understanding is that the reason proof AGE's maintain such a high premium over ABG's has more to do with their eligibility for IRA inclusion...

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    Shhhhh....I may change my mind and get a few of them little nickel-sized buff goldies!!!! image

Will the ¼oz'er actually be close in size to the Jefferson nickel?? Wish they would give dimensions.

Any other backsliders onboard??

CoinLink
  • Options

<< <i>Will the ¼oz'er actually be close in size to the Jefferson nickel?? Wish they would give dimensions. >>

I believe so ... should be about the same size of the 1/4 oz AGE's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Will the ¼oz'er actually be close in size to the Jefferson nickel?? Wish they would give dimensions. >>

I believe so ... should be about the same size of the 1/4 oz AGE's >>

OPA, my son misses your goat-head icon.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The pricing seems "right" to me (uncs vs. proofs), but I don't understand how a coin with purer gold in it is less expensive than a 90/10 gold/copper coin. Can someone explain? Is it because more gold means a "softer" coin? >>

q]

both contain one ounce of "pure" 24kt gold

the copper added to the AGE reduces the fine to 22kt

i don't know the answer, yes the 24kt buffalo is "softer"

• Options
    I'm with Goldbully, unlimited Mintage kills the deal for me + FS to Dealers only.

• Options

<< <i>OPA, my son misses your goat-head icon >>

Sorry, Gritsman, that wasn't me...previous Icon was an "Old Man"image
  • Options
    ttt

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options

Mint Link

Not actual size of 1/4oz'er

'W' Mintmark on Proof harder to see in pic

'W' on Unc easier to see in pic
  • Options
    The 2008 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coins are presented in an elegant hardwood box with a matte finish and a faux leather inset. image

1/4oz'er
  • Options
    Who's buying and what on Tuesday????

I'm buying one 1/4oz Proof and one 1/4oz Unc.

Too bad we can not pool our submission to meet bulk requirements for First Strike!!
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I will be buying one 1/4 ouncer, but I am not sure which one yet, probably the proof....
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    image Who's buying Tuesday and what??
  • Options
    Probably zip for now. I do like 'em, but the plats have sucked me dry.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I was buying but then I just got the Heritage ANA catalog. image

I'm sure I will get a 4 coin proof set but I will probably wait till after the Heritage auction as these will be minted to demand for quite some time and that box is way cool. Might not even slab them if that box is as cool as it looks.
  • Options
    Has there been any mention of the the coin dimensions(other than weight) for these fractionals????

I'm buying just one 1/4 oz'r Proof, and no unc....OK, I changed my mind when I looked at my wallet!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file