Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2008 Goudey

Anyone planning on ripping any of this. It releases a few days after A&G. I think A&G is still the product hoping to be able use my Batman money on a case of it, but this was a fun rip last year and the list looks pretty solid this year as well.

Comments

• << <i>Anyone planning on ripping any of this. It releases a few days after A&G. I think A&G is still the product hoping to be able use my Batman money on a case of it, but this was a fun rip last year and the list looks pretty solid this year as well. >>

I was so BUMMED out with the last Goudey set. I spent a couple thousand, and would have spent more, but when I saw tiger's going for crazy money, that added with the fact that they didn't make enough of the autos for anyone to complete the set, I gave up and sold them. Some of the cards were never even produced. They tried to push it out the door too fast, before the product was ready to ship, and then they couldn't get the quantity of sigs that they planned on. I hope 2008 is better, and i may give it another shot.

Goodbye to 2007 goudey autos...at least i made some pretty good money on them...

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    No, I was completely disappointed in the 07 product. I hate base sets that are odd sized. I know this year's are regular size though. I hated the auto/relic ratio. I'm also sick of relics anyway. The sport royalty thing also got me PO'd. How can you make an insert set that is impossible for more than 5 people to complete and advertise it as mainstream. Couldn't they have done the SP autos in red and allowed a blue set or something that everyone would collect? I liked a lot of the Heritage autos because that's what they do. You can collect a base set of Heritage Real One Autos without going to the poor house. I'm actually still missing 13 cards from my 07 Goudey set because I refuse to pay $5.00 per SP or "Head's Up" card. That set represents everything I dislike about Upper Deck.

• << <i>No, I was completely disappointed in the 07 product. I hate base sets that are odd sized. I know this year's are regular size though. I hated the auto/relic ratio. I'm also sick of relics anyway. The sport royalty thing also got me PO'd. How can you make an insert set that is impossible for more than 5 people to complete and advertise it as mainstream. Couldn't they have done the SP autos in red and allowed a blue set or something that everyone would collect? I liked a lot of the Heritage autos because that's what they do. You can collect a base set of Heritage Real One Autos without going to the poor house. I'm actually still missing 13 cards from my 07 Goudey set because I refuse to pay $5.00 per SP or "Head's Up" card. That set represents everything I dislike about Upper Deck. >>

I am with you. I could go on and on about this fricking set. I had UD on the phone and emails a dozen times. It was also the first time I bought a case, and I only got one SR Auto out of the entire case....After UD making good to me though, and after selling everything off, including the SR auto singles I bought, i actually made over $1K, so I can't complain too much. But I really wanted to put together the set...it would have been my first real attempt at a set, but UD really FUBAR this set. I still may pick up a couple of the goudey SR autos though.

The only other set I tried to put together was 2001 Topps Archives autos. That was a royal pain too. I got over half complete, but some of them just NEVER pop up. One of the toughest ones was the Nolan Ryan from that set. I never saw one on ebay, but after over a year after dumping, one of the nolan ryan's popped up with a BIN for $250 (LOL). I ended up selling it for $600. At least I don't mind keeping a lot of the topps archives autos....

• GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Only thing I pulled was a really nice buy back. But, if I do spend money this summer it will be on A&G and not this worthless stuff.
  • UD has updated the list all the Sports Royalties are now in pack and are 2-3 per case.

I opened 2 boxes last year and both boxes I was lucky enough to get the bottom pack that contained a buyback and 2 other very shortprinted cards. Since it comes out with A&G the price will probaly fall off quickly may buy a case when the dust settles a bit.

• << <i>UD has updated the list all the Sports Royalties are now in pack and are 2-3 per case.

I opened 2 boxes last year and both boxes I was lucky enough to get the bottom pack that contained a buyback and 2 other very shortprinted cards. Since it comes out with A&G the price will probaly fall off quickly may buy a case when the dust settles a bit. >>

As for SR autos, I beg to differ....I know the maddux sr AT LEAST FOR ONE was never made, and I am quite sure others as well were never made. I have yet to see a carpenter as well, and SEVERAL have less than 10. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE try to start the SR AUTO set with the intention of completing.
  • I am working on the regular Goudey Graphs set and there seems to be the same thing with some of those autos. There are about 3 different versions of the checklist so you aren't really sure who is even in the set.

• the problem i have with this: SPORTS ROYALTY..... a pool player? a swimmer? ya spent $2000 on last years and they didnt print all the cards.. geez. Doesnt inspire much confidence in 08'
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the problem i have with this: SPORTS ROYALTY..... a pool player? a swimmer? ya spent $2000 on last years and they didnt print all the cards.. geez. Doesnt inspire much confidence in 08' >>

I agree with you Lars.
  • Upper Deck doesn't inspire much confidence period with most products.
  • Nick,
    you know full well that Lars is my maiden name.

I prefer to go by Latrell
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone!!!!
  • Hi Zep!
  • Zep will buy one box of the stuff and probaly pull the entire Sports Royalty run this year with his luck.

Would be nice to hit a box like that. A few years back when i was playing Magic in large tournaments I opened a box that had the rares and commons flipped the commons were one a pack and rares were 11 a pack. Made alot of money on that box..
  • Well, I am going to pick up a few of them anyway... Just started with this one.
    Does anyone have a checklist of what the SP autos are?

Ugly set. What do the base cards look like, 35 Diamond Stars?

• I actually like them better than the 2007 goudey (mainly because they have regular sized cards)

Well they have better looking sports royalty (LOL)

The base is 1934 goudey
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I love it! Collected 2007 and eagerly waiting for my 2008 boxes to arrive anyday. This is the only modern I actually now get graded. Hoping to have a bunch to bring to the National.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I am sure I will get into this set again but the short prints are crazy hard to get, I didnt like the 2007 red/green back.

I think the only reason I bought these last year was there were 3 retail boxes at Target still wrapped up. I got all 3 boxes 24 packs per box for $2.99 a piece. image
  • Busted 3 boxes yesterday, pulled 3 common autos, but there tons of variations and subsets. Looks like it could be a fun, but challenging set to put together.
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to try a few boxes today and walked away with these:

Not too impressed, but may still do the base set.

-------------------------
    Want List:
    2008 Heritage: NAP 7,13,15
    2002 Heritage: 376,384,TN8,NA4,NA13,NA14
    2008 Topps Chrome: Perez1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13,15,16,17,18,19,20
    Target:7,8,9,10,11,13,15,22,27,28,29
    2008 Allen Ginter: 9,38,77,192,237,246,248,336,343,346

Third Strike Cards
    My Ebay Items
    Picked up a box of these and Triple Threads today. The guy at the card shop pulled a Longoria base card that had the "Ken Griffey says..." but with Jeters face on the bottom.

Any of you guys seen these "variations/ misprints" yet? He was wondering if it was rare.

I'll get mine opened a little later

Go ahead, pull a Ruth signature next why don't you!!!

<< <i>Go ahead, pull a Ruth signature next why don't you!!! >>

well maybe I just will
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Some dude over at Beckett pulled a Tiger auto from ONE pack.
    IWTDMBII
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Also, got to love the smiling picture of Swisher in his A's uni and it says "Chicago White Sox" Uh, huh?
    IWTDMBII
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    the auto checklist for Goudey is loaded. Tiger autos are a minimum 1000 dollar card.

Kevin
    here's my 2 hits (and my Dice-K)

• jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Here are the hits from my Goudey box

THe Loney is #'d to 34

nice!! you get that at Tom's?

<< <i>nice!! you get that at Tom's? >>

Ya I did. He had put an A&G box aside but I got onw with the Microsoft Live so I went with the Goudey

If you are going the Set LMK as I am not.
  • What am I missing on the James Loney card other than it seems smaller than the other cards. Is this important?

<< <i>What am I missing on the James Loney card other than it seems smaller than the other cards. Is this important? >>

It's one of the mini's. You get 1 in like 2 packs. This is a parallel #'d to 34
    Can someone let me in on the Microsoft live secret? I bought a box of goudey today and really like this set. I've had no luck with A&G and will probably do this one this year instead. I'd like to get a couple of more boxes and use the microsoft live thing, but don't know how. Thanks!

<< <i>Can someone let me in on the Microsoft live secret? I bought a box of goudey today and really like this set. I've had no luck with A&G and will probably do this one this year instead. I'd like to get a couple of more boxes and use the microsoft live thing, but don't know how. Thanks! >>

I'm not doing the set man so LMK what you need.
  • Just got myself a bikini image
  • CONGRATS = those non-auto tigers are getting over $100

• The auto list in this stuff with the sport royalty's is very impressive if everyone on that list has an auto. I think it would do much better if released at a different time, hard to compete with A&G.

• << <i>The auto list in this stuff with the sport royalty's is very impressive if everyone on that list has an auto. I think it would do much better if released at a different time, hard to compete with A&G. >>

THe auto list beats the hell out of A&G...The only A&G auto I wanted was a manny. I know A&G gets the clout though image
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    anyone got an extra basecard Bob Feller they'd part with?
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    best product UD has had in a long time..too bad it had to go toe to toe with A&G and Triple Threads.

Kevin
    That's a good thing though. It drove the price down at my local shop for the boxes.

<< <i>anyone got an extra basecard Bob Feller they'd part with? >>

I have one. LMK your address
    Busted a box of this last night. Much better than last year.
    Anyone have any numbers on this set? I pulled some weird stuff. Mini numbered Andrew Jackson, I believe 3 Sport Royality cards and some black and white game cards.
  • UD bites when it comes to giving out numbers....

latest buys
    imageimage