Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone care to grade this picture?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got this 1912-s Lincoln. Photos are brand new. Guess the grade, then check my registry set to see what PCGS thought. Hint: this slab is about 10 years old... one of the first blue labels.

-Matt

Comments

• Options
    Very nice coin Matt!
    I guess it's an ms65rd.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful. Wonderful strike Id say 65RD (that discoloration by right wheat stalk...costs a grade)
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    65RB
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Yeah... in hand, it looks like a 66RD obverse and a slider 64-65 RD reverse. Net grade should yield at least a 65. Too bad it's in 64 plastic.

I seem to recall that back when PCGS switched to blue labels, there was all sorts of fuss about how strict their grading had become. The plastic on this coin would seem to date it from that period. Of course, with the current fuss about how strict their grading has become, maybe I should wait a bit before I resubmit it.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good lookin' Lincoln.
  • Options
    65rd
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone I respect a lot once told me that PCGS would never put an early red Lincoln with a fingerprint into a 65 holder. When I saw the print at 3:00 on the reverse of your coin I immediately guessed that the coin was in a 64RD slab. That is still a remarkable early cent no matter what the insert on the holder reads.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    I was not of the opinion that the 3-o'clock reverse mark was a fingerprint... but it could be.

As for PCGS not 65'ing ant fingerprinted coins... I have an MS65 1916 with a faint full fingerprint on the reverse... and an MS66 1917 with a partial print that you can see at certain angles. You could make the argument that the fingerprints were not evident at time of holdering... but it just seems that I've seen more red early Lincolns in 65 plus holders than just those two in the past few years.

-Matt